Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:41:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: List up your best posts at Personal Text area  (Read 374 times)
sncc (OP)

Activity: 536
Merit: 513

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 02:29:48 PM
Last edit: March 03, 2018, 02:42:08 PM by sncc
Merited by paxmao (1)

Simple idea
I think it is a good idea to list up your best posts you want people to see more at the Personal Text area, like mines in the left.

Advantages
The list of best posts is very simple and has practical advantages from several point of view.

1. It reduces your time to advertise your best posts.
I have seen many merit giving away threads, and indeed, after making good quality posts you are proud of, people spend a certain amount of time to advertise them.
Advertisements are sometimes posted not only merit giving away threads, but also other threads.
Clearly, this is the opposite direction of the original idea of the introduction of the merit system to reduce spam and to improve the average quality of posts.
By listing up them at the Personal Text ara, you can save such advertisement time for learning crypto more from the forum.

2. You can get the best information more easily.
When you find a good quality post, you may want to check that user's history to see his/her previous posts with the same good quality.
If that user is listing up his/her best posts, it is much easier to obtain the best information that suits your preference.

3. It reduces merit sources' time to look for good quality posts.
While I am not a merit source, I can imagine that they have been having huge efforts to look for good quality posts which deserve merits.
The number of threads giving away merit also suggests that it is hard for them to find out good quality posts.
If everyone put the list of best posts, it would reduce their time substantially and they can reach good quality posts more easily.

Why Personal Text area?
Of course, since before the introduction of the merit system, some members have already been making use of their signature areas to show links to their best posts or website etc.
In principle you can do the same thing, and put your list of best posts in the signature area with links.
However, people like me who want to participate signature campaign may not list their best posts in the signature area.

So I think the Personal Text area is the best place to show the list.

Currently, at Personal Text area, you can write down 50 characters without link.
In future it would be more useful if dev could enable link at the Personal Text area.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2018, 02:58:45 PM

People are getting very creative with their ideas when begging for merit. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
tbct_mt2

Activity: 2310
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2018, 03:46:39 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2018, 03:02:48 AM by tbct_mt2

Nice tutorial for begging merits, but I have small recommendations for you.

Users should use both Personal text and signature to advertise your best posts.
1. Personal text for reason why you do this in order to let other users understand what you did.
2. Signature for showing links to your best posts.
and vice versa (depends on your rank because signature code is limited to each rank of user).
Perhaps the allowed signature styling should change with activity score / membergroup. Like:
- Newbie: No styling (including links) allowed. Max 40 characters.
- Jr. Member: Links allowed. Max 100 characters.
- Member: Unlimited length.
- Full: Color allowed.
- Sr. Member: Size allowed
- Hero: Background color allowed

Then newbies will be less effective advertisers, which would hopefully significantly reduce the incentive for low-content posts. And when people become capable of effectively advertising through their signatures, they'll have invested a lot of time into their accounts, and they won't risk being banned by spamming.

Congratulations! Innovative strategy to beg for merits, but I don't think you will get what you want with new strategy like this.
Oliveir

Activity: 140
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 04:00:44 PM

well, everyone has their own way of thinking to promote their post, and yours are not bad, but for the others, they have their own way too. As for me, good luck.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 09:54:49 PM

You shouldn't be actively looking for merit, if your posts are up to standard then they will get merited anyway. There's many threads which are reviewing posts and distributing merit, you could just post your topics there if you feel that your topics have not been merited enough for it's quality you'll likely have more luck that way anyway.
Toughit

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 09:58:01 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2018, 03:13:13 AM by Toughit

If you are a Member or above, you can modify the signature line to include links to bitcointalk posts.

Go to your profile
Select Forum Profile information (on the left side)
See the big white box that says signature, add your text there.

[ccc=aaaaaa]bbbbbb[/url]

Replace ccc with URL
replace aaaa with the link of the post you want to show (go to the top of the page and copy the https: address)
replace bbbbb  with whatever words you want to show
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1584

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 10:59:12 PM

Forgive me but I am going to merit this post. I don´t think his idea is good at all, but I must admit that it has given plenty of though on how to get merit and how to get the sources to notice. Is just the most creative begging strategy I have seen until now so...

Oh, gods forgive me! I am giving this user 1 merit!

LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2018, 12:35:03 AM

I'm not sure why we would need to advertise our best posts. If you are making good posts, it's likely that it will be merited without advertising. It's more like another way to beg for merits.
And Personal Text area isn't best to advertise your best posts. It's not possible to upload clickable links there and you even can't upload full link to your post. It's not convenient if you want to open that post and I don't think that Merit sources and other users will do that, like I didn't tried to open your post now. It would be better to advertise your best links in signature because you can upload full clickable links there, and offcourse, you can upload more than 1 link on your signature.
Shortly, I don't think it's a good idea.

Toughit

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 03:12:25 AM

Thanks, will edit the post!
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
March 04, 2018, 03:25:19 AM
Merited by sncc (1)

Forgive me but I am going to merit this post. I don´t think his idea is good at all, but I must admit that it has given plenty of though on how to get merit and how to get the sources to notice. Is just the most creative begging strategy I have seen until now so...

Lol, you can freely send a merit of your choice. If that could really help you then there is nothing for you to ask forgiveness.

Now let's go back to OP's post. I can't see any wrong about what you were doing and it is really indeed a pretty idea. That area is intended for advertisements and that should benefit you. Advertising one of your best post can really benefit you and IMO it is not a way of begging a merit
fxstrike

Activity: 238
Merit: 40

First Payment Gateway using GoldBacked cryptocurre

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 06:54:25 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2018, 07:50:08 AM by fxstrike

Here is simple way to embed the link into your reply area, just make sure it is not too intrusive, but need Jr. Member rank and above to use this, after posting 30 good quality post and passing the required 14 days period should be able to utilize this method.

Edited: This link placement probably not acceptable, until we have theymos words on this, will have the code wrapped inside code tag, to view it paste on Preview editor and click preview
Code:
[hr]
[center][size=8pt][url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131547.msg31956041#msg31956041] [i]How to put image on bitcointalk[/i][/url][/size][i]  ◆  [size=8pt][url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3108458.msg32152502#msg32152502]FREE Princeton Press [btc] book [/url][/size][/i]  ◆  [i][size=8pt][url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3108458.msg32152502#msg32152502] FREE [btc] coursera - Conducted by Princeton University[/url][/size][/i]   ◆  [i][size=8pt][url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3092072.msg31923343#msg31923343]How to snip quotes[/url][/size][/i]  ◆  [i][size=8pt] [url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3085114.msg32334159#msg32334159]How to make table in bitcointalk[/url][/size][/i][/center]

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:02:27 AM

Here is simple way to embed the link into your reply area, just make sure it is not too intrusive, but need Jr. Member rank and above to use this, after posting 30 good quality post and passing the required 14 days period should be able to utilize this method.
 - Snip -

No.

Ads are typically not allowed in posts (outside of the signature area) because they are annoying and off-topic. It is especially disallowed to put ads or signatures at the bottom of all of your posts. Except for traditional valedictions, which are tolerated but discouraged, signatures are for the signature area only.
fxstrike

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:25:30 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2018, 10:50:48 PM by fxstrike

- Snip -

No.

Ads are typically not allowed in posts (outside of the signature area) because they are annoying and off-topic. It is especially disallowed to put ads or signatures at the bottom of all of your posts. Except for traditional valedictions, which are tolerated but discouraged, signatures are for the signature area only.
It occurred to me that I should write a little about this in case anyone's wondering about what dogie's doing, or why other people are getting banned for somewhat similar activity:

However, if you are using the forum as a publishing platform to host something really substantial and useful, selling ads in that substantial work is allowed. To be eligible for this, your post must be in a topic that you started, and your post must be substantial and long enough to make the ad seem entirely insignificant. If in doubt, ask me.

Your quotes snipped half of the message, therefore missing half of what theymos said in that post, first of all this is not ads, and secondly it is something substantial and useful for bitcoiner [in my example at least] the only thing is I have to make sure it is posted on topic I started.

Take a look at this topic you should see the advertisement area on the top of the page, but anyway this thing is in gray area let just leave it like that or maybe open a topic at Meta and ask if this is allowed to make sure that we do not go against any rules here.

fxstrike

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 08:52:46 AM

You can modify the signature line to include links to bitcointalk posts.

Go to your profile
Select Forum Profile information (on the left side)
See the big white box that says signature, add your text there.

[ccc=aaaaaa]bbbbbb[/url]

Replace ccc with URL
replace aaaa with the link of the post you want to show (go to the top of the page and copy the https: address)
replace bbbbb  with whatever words you want to show

Just to correct your message and give you much better guide to put clickable hyperlink with message text on your signature
Let say you want to put this link
Code:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3057603.msg31514701#msg31514701
on a clickable text [My post]

1. click on the # button you will see this tag

Code:
[url][/url]

2. Put = like this

Code:
[url=][/url]
3. Put your link just after the = you just put and clickable text right after the first ]

Code:
[url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3057603.msg31514701#msg31514701]                My post                [/url]

Here is how it should lool like

My post

sncc (OP)

Activity: 536
Merit: 513

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 03:52:16 PM

For the first few replies to this thread, this is not begging merits.  It seems to me that some people are too sensitive for finding out begging merits.  It is a natural idea to list up one's best informative posts.  It is just like a selected publication list in academia.  In that case the purpose is to attract more people's attention and consequently to obtain citations, which corresponds to merits in the present case.

Also, I've already discussed in the OP that why I consider the personal text area is better than the signature area as it will also work for those who want to keep signature area. 

People are considering a better way for the forum, see also this thread for an alternative suggestion. 

Now let's go back to OP's post. I can't see any wrong about what you were doing and it is really indeed a pretty idea. That area is intended for advertisements and that should benefit you. Advertising one of your best post can really benefit you and IMO it is not a way of begging a merit

Right, my point was that it is the minimal way within the current system.  It does not have a limitation like advertisement at the end of the post discussed above. 
darklus123

Activity: 1246
Merit: 588

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 12:36:38 PM

For the first few replies to this thread, this is not begging merits.  It seems to me that some people are too sensitive for finding out begging merits.  It is a natural idea to list up one's best informative posts.  It is just like a selected publication list in academia.  In that case the purpose is to attract more people's attention and consequently to obtain citations, which corresponds to merits in the present case.

Also, I've already discussed in the OP that why I consider the personal text area is better than the signature area as it will also work for those who want to keep signature area. 

People are considering a better way for the forum, see also this thread for an alternative suggestion. 

You should take their opinions. Bare in mind that there would always be an opposition because they people think that there is a loophole for this strategy. While some doesn't really understand the whole point.

Right, my point was that it is the minimal way within the current system.  It does not have a limitation like advertisement at the end of the post discussed above. 

Yes maybe, I was just curious tho if the method is effective or not? Hopefully you can gather data soon(which is actually hard)
1020kingz

Activity: 350
Merit: 106

Telegram Moderator, Hire me

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 12:48:49 PM

you dont have to say sorry this deserves a merit for his own idea he got merited, in reality his thoughts are right many users here in the forum are unnoticed by others by doing his idea is a good way to being noticed by others his good contructive post. very nice idea, i didnt think that it would be an effective way of getting merit. i should think more ideas like this to get merit, been struggling to get one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: