Bitcoin Forum
November 19, 2018, 07:13:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.17.0 [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: S9. Not mining and ... Only one fan?  (Read 71 times)
cilayin

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 02:47:28 AM

I'm not completely new to mining. I've been mining with GPU's since last year but I've never used an S9.
I just got my S9 and I'm having some issues. I've followed the manual, and other guides/videos online... But nothings really working for me and I can't figure out why.

I've tried multiple pools, bitcoin, slush, ant.... They're set up correctly as far as I can tell. I've seen people post the URLS with and without the "stratum+tcp://", I've tried both ways and it makes no difference.

Also it's not a time thing. I've tried multiple times doing many different things having it up for 1+ hr each time with no success. Current uptime is 1.5 hrs.

But what's really weird is when I look under the miner status tab... Why does it only say one fan is running? Everyone I've seen has always had 2 (Usually fan 2 and 6, but for me... I just see Fan2 active).
Both fans on the S9 are actually working, they're spinning and it's taking in and exhausting. Is it nothing to worry about and something to just ignore?

https://i.imgur.com/i7NVOg2.png

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
pantalyra

Activity: 48

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 09:50:16 AM

Have you looked at your kernel log? You can post it here for us to look at. Please use the # feature when posting code.

More times then not, if the miner is mining for a short time and stopping it has something to do with your power supply. Please give us some information on your power supply and the circuit.

Both fans will spin on a S9 due to suction. This does not mean they are both working properly. Unplug one fan and then the other and find out which one is not registering. Swap the two fans connectors to find out if it is the board or the fan. It should be showing 2 fans. I have had miners only show one fan and/or 0 hash rate due to insufficient power.
cilayin

Activity: 3

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 07:26:43 PM

Have you looked at your kernel log? You can post it here for us to look at. Please use the # feature when posting code.

More times then not, if the miner is mining for a short time and stopping it has something to do with your power supply. Please give us some information on your power supply and the circuit.

Both fans will spin on a S9 due to suction. This does not mean they are both working properly. Unplug one fan and then the other and find out which one is not registering. Swap the two fans connectors to find out if it is the board or the fan. It should be showing 2 fans. I have had miners only show one fan and/or 0 hash rate due to insufficient power.

In the logs its saying that the temp was too high. Even though the unit was never hot. But I wondered if that was due to it only having 1 fan.
I swapped the fans and both seem to be functioning now. Not sure why or how. But they're both actually working and both actually showing up now.

Just wondering. Why was it shutting off before from just being in the high 90s and low 100s? I thought the shut-off temp was like 115. As far as I know, it never hit that high.

Anyway, I changed things up a bit. I put a AC unit in the room with the antminer. Now everythings sitting around 76 - 82~.
https://i.imgur.com/cz1ry53.png

Everything it seems to be working fine now with the ac and now that both fans are working. It's been mining constantly for 15mins now. So I think everything is good Smiley

Thank you!
Raymond_B

Activity: 280
Merit: 36

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2018, 08:49:55 PM

In the logs its saying that the temp was too high. Even though the unit was never hot. But I wondered if that was due to it only having 1 fan.
I swapped the fans and both seem to be functioning now. Not sure why or how. But they're both actually working and both actually showing up now.

Just wondering. Why was it shutting off before from just being in the high 90s and low 100s? I thought the shut-off temp was like 115. As far as I know, it never hit that high.

Anyway, I changed things up a bit. I put a AC unit in the room with the antminer. Now everythings sitting around 76 - 82~.
https://i.imgur.com/cz1ry53.png

Everything it seems to be working fine now with the ac and now that both fans are working. It's been mining constantly for 15mins now. So I think everything is good Smiley

Thank you!

You realize those temps are in Celsius right? The poor thing was burning up!

pantalyra

Activity: 48

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 12:32:30 AM

The S9 was likely not shutting down because of temp, I would guess it was shutting down because for what ever reason one fan was not showing up. In fact, usually it wont mine at all if only one fan is showing.  They don't shut down till they are in the 100s.
Steamtyme

Activity: 462
Merit: 454

Blokforge Affiliate- see profile

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 03:14:12 AM

Thank you!

Glad you got the fan issue switched out, I've never run an S9 but I recall someone else troubleshooting that- I think it had something to do with each fan needing to be plugged in to a certain spot on the board. The bonus here is that you didn't damage any boards.

I'm really only commenting to suggest you find another way to cool your miner down besides running AC into the room. Ideally you should move it close to a window and have it exhausting that way. When in doubt remove the heat from the room rather than try and cool the room. It would be lie turning on your stove with the door open and trying to cool it with the refrigerator. Happy Mining

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.