Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:07:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: T9+ problem  (Read 303 times)
btcgumbo (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 12:45:45 AM
Last edit: March 19, 2018, 07:25:39 PM by frodocooper

Hey folks, new miner here but not new to BTC.  Recently received a new T9+ from Eastshore, fast shipping, etc. all looked good on arrival.  I also bought the Antminer APW3++ power supply as well.  Setup was fairly straightforward and I was mining soon after getting it all setup.  After 24 hours all was well, hashing about 10.5 th/s but I decided to move it to a more practical location.  After turning it back on the hash rate was significantly lower and after many hours searching the internet I've rebooted the unit, swapped power supply locations (same power supply, just swapped the connections around) and basically have not been able to get a different result. I'm getting about 7 th/s.  I'm open to suggestions.  Kinda bummed though, I was really excited about mining.  

https://ibb.co/mNBzQH

(Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to remove inline image tags.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 01:55:05 AM

I had one running for about 6 weeks when yesterday all the cards went to 0.  Playing with the power supply got them back up, but only for about 20 minutes, then they went offline again.

Its going back to Bitmain under Warranty Monday.

Mined for a living since 2017.  Dabbled for years before that.
Linux admin since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
Yrth

Activity: 123
Merit: 21

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 07:57:40 AM

Very strange. You are missing one chain entirely, chain 3. There should be 9 (2,3,4,9,10,11,12,13,14). I looks like you have one bad chain on each board. Odd that one would fail on each board.

I'm thinking it's probably a psu issue. Make sure none of your connectors came loose when you moved the miner. If that doesn't solve it, I would hook it up to different psu.
btcgumbo (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 06:32:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to put it back in its original location and see if that doesn't help.  I read somewhere that the power circuit (wall socket) needs to be able to handle the current so maybe that is it.

Yrth - I'm going to show my lack of understanding here but how did you determine that chain 3 was missing from the picture?  I see that 11 and 12 are reading 0 but the others look good.  I know I have a lot to learn but that is part of the fun isn't it. 
Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2018, 06:47:46 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to put it back in its original location and see if that doesn't help.  I read somewhere that the power circuit (wall socket) needs to be able to handle the current so maybe that is it.

Yrth - I'm going to show my lack of understanding here but how did you determine that chain 3 was missing from the picture?  I see that 11 and 12 are reading 0 but the others look good.  I know I have a lot to learn but that is part of the fun isn't it. 

Are you running it on 110v or 220v?

btcgumbo (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 08:03:57 PM

I'm using 110V.
digital$

Activity: 287
Merit: 18

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 08:08:09 PM

could be your voltage...not saying it is but im running T9+'s for over a month on 220-240v without any hitch whatsoever...temps are 75 on chips with a a few topping out on a hot day @81 deg Celsius
Raymond_B

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2018, 08:29:35 PM

I'm using 110V.

Pretty sure that's your problem even if it's not you *need* to run it on 220v. That PSU isn't working correctly on 110v. That miner runs at 1432 watts, and that PSU can only put out around 1200 watts on 110.

The APW3++ can deliver a maximum power of only 1200W if it is connected to a 110V mains power supply. To obtain the rated power of 1600W, the APW3++ must be connected to a 220-240V mains power supply.

btcgumbo (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 09:58:15 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2018, 07:24:54 PM by frodocooper

Could be.  I moved the T9+ back to its original location but didn't change anything else (all power supply connections are the same) and am currently getting this:

https://ibb.co/fdGFZc

I will try and change some of the power connections (from the PS to the miner) and see if that changes anything.  If no improvement after that then will try 220V.

Edit:  I tried changing power supply to miner connections around to no improvement, Chain #12 remains at 0.  Will try 220 now...

Thanks!

(Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to remove inline image tags.)
Yrth

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 02:58:54 AM
Last edit: March 19, 2018, 07:24:15 PM by frodocooper

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to put it back in its original location and see if that doesn't help.  I read somewhere that the power circuit (wall socket) needs to be able to handle the current so maybe that is it.

Yrth - I'm going to show my lack of understanding here but how did you determine that chain 3 was missing from the picture?  I see that 11 and 12 are reading 0 but the others look good.  I know I have a lot to learn but that is part of the fun isn't it.  

I have four of the T9+'s myself. They all have 9 chains (2,3,4,9,10,11,12,13,14). 3 chains on each of the 3 boards, basically one chain per power plug. Your picture shows that chain 3 is missing entirely. That's why I was thinking its a psu issue. It would be odd for one chain on each board to just randomly fail.

Here is a screen shot of mine.
https://i.imgur.com/VEISWDn.jpg

Could be.  I moved the T9+ back to its original location but didn't change anything else (all power supply connections are the same) and am currently getting this:
https://ibb.co/fdGFZc
I will try and change some of the power connections (from the PS to the miner) and see if that changes anything.  If no improvement after that then will try 220V.
Edit:  I tried changing power supply to miner connections around to no improvement, Chain #12 remains at 0.  Will try 220 now...
Thanks!  
On that last pic, Chains 3 and 11 are missing. It's definitely your psu. The APW3++ can't produce enough power to run the miner at 110v. It either needs to be on 220v or you need a second psu for the 3rd board.

(Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to remove inline image tags from the second quote from btcgumbo.)
btcgumbo (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 03:37:32 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2018, 01:02:39 AM by frodocooper

Thanks Yrth and all for your advice.  Ok, now I'm really frustrated.  I wired this up to 240 volts and am getting pretty much what I had at 120 volts.  For the first day on 120 volts it worked well but has been like this since I moved it.  I put it back in the original location, still on 120 v, no change.  I have moved the power cables around and it doesn't change anything.  Now on 240 v I'm getting this:

https://ibb.co/fv1PUc

I've contacted Eastshore but haven't heard back from them yet.  I'm open to suggestions but I don't have access to another power supply at the moment.  

Huh

Yrth

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 08:45:13 PM

Thanks Yrth and all for your advice.  Ok, now I'm really frustrated.  I wired this up to 240 volts and am getting pretty much what I had at 120 volts.  For the first day on 120 volts it worked well but has been like this since I moved it.  I put it back in the original location, still on 120 v, no change.  I have moved the power cables around and it doesn't change anything.  Now on 240 v I'm getting this:

https://ibb.co/fv1PUc

I've contacted Eastshore but haven't heard back from them yet.  I'm open to suggestions but I don't have access to another power supply at the moment.  

Huh
The other thing you could do to eliminate the miner as the problem would be to disconnect the power from one board and just power up 2 boards and of course the controller. If your "missing" chains appear then it would point to a psu issue. Also, do you have a meter to see the voltage being supplied to the outlet. I *think* the APW3 needs at least 208v to start (sorry from memory, not sure on that).
btcgumbo (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 03:10:28 AM

Ok, I gave it another go on 240V, (actually reads 248 v and stable).  I did a baseline run, no changes, same result as before, 3 is missing and 11 and 12 read zero.  I reset the T9+ per Eastshore's recommendation, no change.  I then ran it with each of one board's power removed; once with board 1 removed, board 2 removed then board 3 removed.  In every case 3 was missing and 11 and 12 read zero unless they were missing.  Interestingly when the middle board's power was removed exactly 3, 11 and 12 were missing and all of the other chains had readings:

2nd board power removed:
https://ibb.co/dTzYPc

It looks to me like board 2 consists of 3, 11 and 12 and it appears bad to me.  I have not reloaded the firmware yet, probably the next thing to do but I'm not thinking that is the issue...

Thoughts?
Raymond_B

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2018, 03:12:42 AM

Ok, I gave it another go on 240V, (actually reads 248 v and stable).  I did a baseline run, no changes, same result as before, 3 is missing and 11 and 12 read zero.  I reset the T9+ per Eastshore's recommendation, no change.  I then ran it with each of one board's power removed; once with board 1 removed, board 2 removed then board 3 removed.  In every case 3 was missing and 11 and 12 read zero unless they were missing.  Interestingly when the middle board's power was removed exactly 3, 11 and 12 were missing and all of the other chains had readings:

2nd board power removed:
https://ibb.co/dTzYPc

It looks to me like board 2 consists of 3, 11 and 12 and it appears bad to me.  I have not reloaded the firmware yet, probably the next thing to do but I'm not thinking that is the issue...

Thoughts?

I'd grab a digital voltmeter and test the PSU while your at it. I'll see if I can find the posts (search for PSU test), but it would be a good thing to do to rule out bad PSU or wiring.

btcgumbo (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 03:55:37 AM

Yes, thanks.  I checked voltages quite a bit over the last few days and am getting good, stable voltage the the power supply and it is putting out consistent power.

It looks to me that the middle board is not working as every variation of cables, powered/non powered tests, etc. point to that.  Can I swap the boards the controller ribbons go to? In other words, can I take the middle controller and connect it to the first board, etc. so if it is a controller problem the problem would go to the new board. 
ccgllc
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 101

Math doesn't care what you believe.

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 04:15:54 AM

Yes you can, the controller does not know which physical slot a card is in...

Mined for a living since 2017.  Dabbled for years before that.
Linux admin since 0.96 kernel and Slackware distributions on (4) floppies...
btcgumbo (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 06:15:28 AM

I gave that a shot and did a variety of combinations of swapping control cables along with powering just 2 of the 3 boards and in all cases the middle board never worked.  One location is always missing and the other two read 0.  When I don't power the middle board all of the remaining 6 locations work just fine.  I've sent a note to Eastshore, hopefully getting the fix will be straightforward as I've read not so good reports about sending the unit back to China. 

Thanks for your help and patience with this new miner, it is greatly appreciated. 

Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: