Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:52:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook to enter the browser market  (Read 393 times)
Lionel (OP)

Activity: 613
Merit: 305

View Profile
March 16, 2019, 11:41:38 AM
Merited by Welsh (3), The Sceptical Chymist (2), dbshck (2), LoyceV (1)

The in-app browser for Whatsapp is about to be released.

I think they want to compete with the other browsers, especially Chrome.

And i suspect the main reason for this is advertising: they will block all ads in the browser, except Facebook ones.

I think that will be the natural evolution to this move: Facebook has their own ad network, so why should they let the competition's ads ( Adsense )  in Facebook's browser ?
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Sceptical Chymist
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 6796

Cashback 15%

View Profile
March 16, 2019, 11:50:27 AM
Merited by dbshck (4), Foxpup (3), Welsh (2), LoyceV (1)

I don't know what their intention is as far as using a proprietary browser for their advertising business, but I'm sure there's a large segment of the population that'll latch onto it--and that's scary to me.  As I've said in other threads, FB is worse than the NSA as far as destroying people's privacy, and the unfortunate thing about it is that most people just give it up willingly to social media giants--and they'd never even think of giving their government all of that personal data.

Chrome (and Google) is no better, IMO.  It's no wonder so many people use Tor, and I'm almost inclined to start using it as well.  Anyway, there's no doubt in my mind that if FB is creating a browser, it's going to be much like Chrome except it'll be more Facebook-oriented.  To hell with the both of them.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2019, 12:01:50 PM
Merited by dbshck (2), The Sceptical Chymist (1), LoyceV (1)

Well I won't be using it. I'm impressed with the Brave browser, which is another Chromium based browser like Chrome. It includes a Tor window as well.

I still refuse to use Facebook and Twitter, and all the recent publicity makes me realise that this decision is correct. I've sorted out quite a few things recently, so Windows is the next thing to go, and I'll replace it with Linux Mint. I've already bought a 2Tb SSD to install it.

eroejoe

Activity: 602
Merit: 54

View Profile
March 16, 2019, 12:37:54 PM

I don't know what Facebook could do to make me browsing through their browser.
CryptopreneurBrainboss
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 4133

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2019, 05:04:07 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

I don't know what Facebook could do to make me browsing through their browser.

When it comes to marketing don't look down on the facebook marketing team. They can make anything possible. I won't be surprised if their browser consume less data to beat their competitors or since it'll be associated with their whatApp it comes as a free browser. But irrespective of what the marketing team of facebook comes out with, don't forget none of those things are free you'll be exchanging your privacy for them.
whotookmycrypto

Activity: 168
Merit: 214

WhoTookMyCrypto.com

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2019, 07:28:17 PM
Merited by LoyceV (1)

And given that they have also indicated they want to have their own crypto, I suspect they are trying to create something similar to the Brave browser.

They won't get my business for sure, especially not after the Cambridge Analytica scandal.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2019, 11:37:22 PM
Merited by dbshck (4), Welsh (2), LoyceV (1)

Despite that Facebook is powerful giant, I'm sceptical about their browser. I don't think they're going to compete with Chrom or Mozilla, unless they will offer something new and unique. Otherwise it will be niche thing.
But I remember how they made Messenger successful. Their strategy was agressive. Initially sending messages was possible on Facebook app, but when they released Messenger, this feature was removed from Facebook app and people were forced to download Messenger app to continue chatting with their friends. Maybe they will make agressive marketing campaign to promote their browser also.

It's no wonder so many people use Tor, and I'm almost inclined to start using it as well. 
And how many people are using TOR? Their market share is probably less than 0.10%, most of people don't even know about it. Maybe in crypto world these numbers are bigger a bit because people are more concerned about their privacy. But casual people usually don't care much about their privacy.

When it comes to marketing don't look down on the facebook marketing team. They can make anything possible.
You're probably right, but I remember Facebook made one big fail in past. They released Facebook Home launcher for smartphones, but people just didn't used it and this thing died just after few months.

But irrespective of what the marketing team of facebook comes out with, don't forget none of those things are free you'll be exchanging your privacy for them.
Same thing with main player in this market - Google Chrome browser.
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2019, 03:05:43 AM
Merited by dbshck (2), LoyceV (1)

I've stopped using Facebook since long time ago, even though my friends keep asking my Facebook ID. Even though the Cambridge scandal has been published, there are very small, or minority of users from my country that think it's a big problem. They don't realise that their privacy is at risk and they're fine with it. As long as people like this still exist, I think Facebook would continue to be successful on penetrating new market, though I really hope they'll fail.

You're probably right, but I remember Facebook made one big fail in past. They released Facebook Home launcher for smartphones, but people just didn't used it and this thing died just after few months.

That thing is dead for years now, last time updated in April 2015. Looks like it was a trial and error for Facebook.
Kavelj22
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1433

🔃EN>>AR Translator🔃

View Profile
March 17, 2019, 07:35:54 AM
Merited by Welsh (3), LoyceV (1), TheBeardedBaby (1)

I've stopped using Facebook since long time ago, even though my friends keep asking my Facebook ID. Even though the Cambridge scandal has been published, there are very small, or minority of users from my country that think it's a big problem. They don't realise that their privacy is at risk and they're fine with it. As long as people like this still exist, I think Facebook would continue to be successful on penetrating new market, though I really hope they'll fail.
What makes you sure about their failure, despite all the affirmations that the great majority doesn't care about their privacy without even realising that they are exchanging their personal data for some services?
People won't stop using those social-media platforms, as no one can compete them (for short and medium terms). I was estonished when realise every body in my local area doesn't even hear about the scandal of Cambridge analytica.
May be conservative governments are keeping people safe (China) with some ridiculous forbids, this wasn't to safe privacy at first goal but looks no one can stop those ads giants. Recently heard about Egypt willing to ban the use of Facebook.
sheenshane
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1215

Cashback 15%

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2019, 02:10:20 PM

snip-
I guess Facebook has the power to fight against Google today. They are a well funded and rich company and will be able to beat their competitor Google. But I have this perception of google and facebook partnering together to build this another browser and to have the
monopoly. The marketing strategy of Facebook is so good that they can do everything to reach their targets.
domoy77

Activity: 811
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2019, 02:11:50 PM

But I have this perception of google and facebook partnering together to build this another browser and to have the monopoly
right, I think it would be like that that Facebook and Google will work together to build a browser, it has been seen from synchronizing user data with their platform, this is a problem for user privacy
g-uid

Activity: 259
Merit: 18

View Profile
April 12, 2019, 04:11:51 PM

snip-
I guess Facebook has the power to fight against Google today. They are a well funded and rich company and will be able to beat their competitor Google. But I have this perception of google and facebook partnering together to build this another browser and to have the
monopoly. The marketing strategy of Facebook is so good that they can do everything to reach their targets.

Why do you think Facebook has the might to take on Google?
NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
April 14, 2019, 06:23:31 AM

Well I won't be using it. I'm impressed with the Brave browser, which is another Chromium based browser like Chrome. It includes a Tor window as well.
I'm also impressed with Brave's performance. It is fast, user-friendly and also got simple but clean interface. Aside from its incognito mode, I also enjoys its AdBlock feature. Before I used UC Browser but after I heard that your accounts mails etc. are not safe there I shifted into this. So far so good, everybody should try it too Smiley

But I remember how they made Messenger successful. Their strategy was agressive. Initially sending messages was possible on Facebook app, but when they released Messenger, this feature was removed from Facebook app and people were forced to download Messenger app to continue chatting with their friends. Maybe they will make agressive marketing campaign to promote their browser also.
Their way of manipulating us really sucks. I just hope that their upcoming project will be really helpful and compact. It will be so annoying for me if I need to access their browser first in order to play videos on FB (Oops! I'm giving them an idea, sorry my bad Grin).
vicoma

Activity: 494
Merit: 2

KoinPro: Unique Double-up Contract

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2019, 08:29:13 PM

Facebook is always on hot news nowadays. Not quite long they are raising billions of dollars to crowdfund the Facebook Coin. Despite the huge profits, I am still yet to know the essence of the crowdfunding. Now, is the release of their own native browser, I am eager to see and look at the advantages it will have over the others in existence.
tsaroz
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 1069

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2019, 05:25:46 PM

Facebook is already opening links inside Facebook in its own in built browser. Facebook instant pages are a new trend of blogging and news site. They are trying to create an entire ecosystem to counter Google, Amazon, Yandex and Tencent.
charlie137

Activity: 1204
Merit: 220

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2019, 04:16:49 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2019, 06:40:35 AM by charlie137
Merited by Vod (2)

its kinda makes sense - such app would deliver them new income vectors thro heavy marketing meta sales. fb showed that security is not the priority in their business model - id stay away Cool https://thehackernews.com/2019/04/facebook-ftc-fine-privacy.html
bitcoin-shark

Activity: 2828
Merit: 605

View Profile
May 01, 2019, 07:27:47 PM

in fact the fight is all there to be able to show end users their advertising packages, so to gain from the various sponsors, facebook wants to enter the big group and compete directly with google, yahoo, amazon even at browser level...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: