Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:32:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead cat bounce  (Read 4272 times)
old_engineer

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 03:42:57 AM

I was responding to two individuals (old_engineer and fivebells). I was pointing out that their general sentiments ("You can't talk about economic rationality with bitcoins! Bitcoin is about faith and love and backless currency and...!") was a joke because it 1) flies in the face of both libertarianism and 2) you can't really have a currency as bitcoin purports to be without an exchange market and arbitrage.
  Mmm, strawman.
You dismiss any behavior that isn't right for you as "doesn't make sense" or "a joke".  Are you against people being gay, too?  How about people you don't speak your language, do you expect them to learn English?

"Myopic" continues to apply to your viewpoint.  Speculation applies to more than just profit-maximizing behavior, and in fact I made clear that I speculate without attempting to maximum profit, but rather to minimize volatility.
1) who cares if my viewpoint isn't a liberarian one?  Sure enough, I'm not much of a libertarian, but I hear there are many around these parts, and it's just one of many valid reasons to participate in the bitcoin experiment.
2) exchange markets are but one way of trading currencies.  I used to trade on the #bitcoin_otc, and that works fine.  Assuming you live in the US (as most myopic people do), it's likely you've never been to an exchange.

Your criteria are neither necessary or sufficient.  Mine are not necessary, but they are sufficient as they work for me and others.  QED.
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 08:53:38 AM

Kuhn-Tucker conditions - necessary and sufficient.  Necessary to ignore because it is sufficient that it is late and I've been drinking - mmmm vodka/lime.  My previous cat liked malt whiskey.

btw - old-miner has it right - it works for him, and that is sufficient, therefore not necessarily optimal, but constraints satisfied, therefore an interor solution to his multi-dimensional problem.
fivebells

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2011, 01:15:23 PM

You dismiss any behavior that isn't right for you as "doesn't make sense" or "a joke".  Are you against people being gay, too?  How about people you don't speak your language, do you expect them to learn English?
 No, but I'm against woolly thinking and personal attacks like this.

BitMagic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 29, 2011, 01:49:13 AM

Mmm, strawman.

Yeah, have a re-look at your posts, and tell me you weren't, in general sentiment, attempting to tell me how my boilerplate, narrowly defined economic arguments (in response to a single premise in the OP, no less) were moot because "BUT THIS IS BITCOIN!".

You dismiss any behavior that isn't right for you as "doesn't make sense" or "a joke".  Are you against people being gay, too?  How about people you don't speak your language, do you expect them to learn English?

"Myopic" continues to apply to your viewpoint.  Speculation applies to more than just profit-maximizing behavior, and in fact I made clear that I speculate without attempting to maximum profit, but rather to minimize volatility.
1) who cares if my viewpoint isn't a liberarian one?  Sure enough, I'm not much of a libertarian, but I hear there are many around these parts, and it's just one of many valid reasons to participate in the bitcoin experiment.
2) exchange markets are but one way of trading currencies.  I used to trade on the #bitcoin_otc, and that works fine.  Assuming you live in the US (as most myopic people do), it's likely you've never been to an exchange.

Your criteria are neither necessary or sufficient.  Mine are not necessary, but they are sufficient as they work for me and others.  QED.

I'm assuming this is directed at me and not fivebells, because that would make the most sense. I directed none of those points to you, only Crypt_Current, who presumably wanted to know why I thought bitcoin would never exist as a useable currency without speculative behavior in any sense, regardless of exchange venue. I threw that libertarian bit in there as a joke.

Seriously, old_engineer, you're just reacting to my abrasive call-out that you just can't read (or quote) appropriately. I don't disagree with a single thing you've said. You're still doing a terrible job of showing me you can "read good", though. See fivebells, below, for not even realizing you were quoting the wrong dude as the nail in the coffin: you dumbasses couldn't recite the alphabet.

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 12:33:56 AM

Mmm, strawman.

Yeah, have a re-look at your posts, and tell me you weren't, in general sentiment, attempting to tell me how my boilerplate, narrowly defined economic arguments (in response to a single premise in the OP, no less) were moot because "BUT THIS IS BITCOIN!".

"Myopic" continues to apply to your viewpoint.  Speculation applies to more than just profit-maximizing behavior, and in fact I made clear that I speculate without attempting to maximum profit, but rather to minimize volatility.
1) who cares if my viewpoint isn't a liberarian one?  Sure enough, I'm not much of a libertarian, but I hear there are many around these parts, and it's just one of many valid reasons to participate in the bitcoin experiment.
2) exchange markets are but one way of trading currencies.  I used to trade on the #bitcoin_otc, and that works fine.  Assuming you live in the US (as most myopic people do), it's likely you've never been to an exchange.

Your criteria are neither necessary or sufficient.  Mine are not necessary, but they are sufficient as they work for me and others.  QED.

I'm assuming this is directed at me and not fivebells, because that would make the most sense. I directed none of those points to you, only Crypt_Current, who presumably wanted to know why I thought bitcoin would never exist as a useable currency without speculative behavior in any sense, regardless of exchange venue. I threw that libertarian bit in there as a joke.

Seriously, old_engineer, you're just reacting to my abrasive call-out that you just can't read (or quote) appropriately. I don't disagree with a single thing you've said. You're still doing a terrible job of showing me you can "read good", though. See fivebells, below, for not even realizing you were quoting the wrong dude as the nail in the coffin: you dumbasses couldn't recite the alphabet.

LOL BURN, XD

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
BitMagic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2011, 01:55:37 AM

LOL BURN, XD

i no, rite? XD XD XD XD XD

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: