Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:11:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zero trade fee exchanges - Just inviting manipulation?  (Read 935 times)
slothbag (OP)

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 12:26:43 AM

Am I missing something here..  apparently BTCChina has zero cost trades at the moment, I haven't confirmed this myself, but doesn't this enable huge opportunity for market manipulation?

1. You can run up the exchange volume with your own bogus trades.. so the Volume metric becomes pretty much useless.
2. Whats to stop someone repetitively trading with themselves for no cost and push the price anywhere they like?

I don't like this zero fee model, trading should be restricted to only people who actually need to trade and/or are willing to pay for it.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:59:39 AM

Am I missing something here..  apparently BTCChina has zero cost trades at the moment, I haven't confirmed this myself, but doesn't this enable huge opportunity for market manipulation?

1. You can run up the exchange volume with your own bogus trades.. so the Volume metric becomes pretty much useless.
2. Whats to stop someone repetitively trading with themselves for no cost and push the price anywhere they like?

I don't like this zero fee model, trading should be restricted to only people who actually need to trade and/or are willing to pay for it.

The main thing stopping it would be clueless small timers which gum up the books, and other similar sized players who are out to steal one's lunch when a price shock is triggered.

Whether exchange operators take an interest in deterring such manipulation, participating in it, or being neutral is unknown to me as I don't trade at all in any capacity.

Probably the modest trading fees are minimal compared to the money one could make with a successful manipulation operation.  Thus, I don't see the zero-fee thing being particularly notable or alarming.  Anyway, as I read things it is just a marketing ploy in the case of BTCChina and will be done away with soon enough.

It is interesting to see that Mt. Gox, for instance, struggled for years to develop a matching engine which met minimal standards for reliability and robustness while BTCChina was able to do so much more quickly.  I suspect that there is some technical talent at work there.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: