Bitcoin Forum
October 15, 2019, 11:09:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.18.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] Airdrop: What, How and Why  (Read 217 times)
duomotigre

Activity: 352
Merit: 6

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 11:31:07 PM
Last edit: May 10, 2019, 11:52:48 AM by duomotigre
Merited by alexrossi (2), Ale88 (1)

Hi everybody,

I created this Guide for beginners who would like to know what an airdrop is, how it works and why they're doing it.
I kept it simple, but it should give an overview of the big-picture.
I responded to the questions I was asking myself when I didn't know what was going on, here's the simple info that you should have.

Happy reading!  Smiley

Welcome!

Here you can find a full airdrop guide to understand what is going on: What they are, why people are doing them, how to partecipate and how to store them.

WHAT IS AN AIRDROP?
An airdrop for a cryptocurrency is a procedure of distributing tokens by awarding them to existing holders of a particular blockchain currency, such as Bitcoin or Ethereum.
In the United States, the practice has raised questions about tax liabilities and whether they amount to income or capital gains (Courtesy of Wikipedia).

Notable Airdrops
Bitcoin Cash was given to all holders of Bitcoin in August 2017. (Value 18/03/2017 $923,78 )
Omise gave away five percent of their OmiseGO cryptocurrency to holders of Ethereum in September 2017. (Value 18/03/2017 $10,01)
Polymath recently airdropped 250 POLY per person, which are now worth $167 (08/03/2018) We posted it.
Only this month the total value that I received through the Airdrops that I applied is more than $100.

But if you're totally new to this world you're asking yourself:
Why they should give away free money? This is probably a scam, free money doesn't exist. Well, yes, in 99% of the cases, if they're offering you free money it is probably a scam. However, you have to understand three crucial points here:

1-A Token/Coin without a community is a useless token. People have to use it, to own it.
2-Airdropping, giving away free tokens/coins, free money, is a wonderful way to let the others talk about you, it's a wonderful way to make cheap publicity. Yes, you're giving away free money because you could have sold all of those tokens, but maybe the money that you would have spent to make some proper big publicity around the internet would have cost more. Again, with airdrop you fulfill the first step that we mentioned: A lot of people will already have the token, so they don't have to buy it from anywhere.
3-They want you to hold a certain coin to receive free airdrops. NOTICE: In most cases you DON'T need to hold anything to receive an airdrop, you only need a wallet address.
Now that we have explained the context, we can say that an airdrop is the act of distributing tokens to multiple addresses. This is often used to reward holders or spread awareness for a new token.

WHAT DO YOU NEED?

Airdrops require that anyone who wants to participate should have the following:
There’s a high probability that common airdrops requires one of the following*

Email 90/100*
Bitcointalk account 10/100*
A Telegram account 100/100*
ERC20 wallets 99/100 Almost Sure*
Other crypto wallets 1/100 Very rare*
A Facebook account 10/100*
A Twitter account 30/100*
A LinkedIn account 1/100*
A Medium account 5/100*
Phone number 5/100*
Rarely, others can require accounts like Discord and GitHub.

Since these are easy to create, lets focus on how to create an ERC20 wallet.
Here you can find a good short guide: https://medium.com/swissborg/how-to-generate-your-ethereum-erc-20-compatible-wallet-address-7cc549717a6c
I suggest MyEtherWallet (MEW) or Eidoo for mobile phones.
Some airdrops now require a min of 0.1 ETH in your wallet to avoid fake accounts, but it's rare.

HOW TO BE SECURE:

Since many of the ICOs and projects in this world are scams, it's possible that you’re giving your data to someone that is using it for negative purposes. My suggestion is the following:

1-Use a different password from your important accounts, try to use as many passwords as possible (this should be a general rule)
2-Create an alternate email, don't use your personal email for airdrops or website that you don't trust 100% (and I suggest to trust very few things at 100%). Don't register to strange websites with the email address associated to your exchange account or similar important things. Why? Because if they steal your password and they have your real email, they have a full login. ( Unless you have a 2FA activated, and you should everywhere you store important data or money. By the way, even if you do, trust me, you don't want your credentials in the hands of some shady guys).
3-Don't use your phone number associated with important accounts for the same reason that I mentioned above. Create another one, use the one of your girlfriend, mother, dog, but don't use the one that you associated with a wallet or an important service. By the way, as you can see above it's very rare for an airdrop to ask for a phone number.
4-Don't ever give away your private key!

Hope that all of the information here could help you through this journey. Be safe out there!

Thank you!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AAA88

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 08:27:32 AM

I used to participate in them several times. In my subjective opinion, this is a waste of time. A lot of scum. And if the project is good, then you will get a small number of coins
ArteMixer

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 09:12:18 AM

In my opinion, airdrops have a very low profitability. Most of them are just scams for likes and subscriptions. You need quite a lot of time to do a lot of airdrops and you will have a chance to get paid a very small amount of tokens, which probably won't even be on the exchanges. But of course, as in every place, there are exceptions. But if you want a stable profit, do bounties. Yes, they take a lot of time and require you to do them every day, but at least you will be earning a decent sum and won't be dependent on luck.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1697
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 09:37:32 AM

Good airdrop which do not request nothing special from users apart filling the form: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3038677.0
duomotigre

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 10:16:37 PM
Last edit: March 20, 2018, 10:55:36 PM by duomotigre

Well, it takes only 5-10 minutes per day to join all the airdrops that came that day. Since you could earn some money from them I wouldn't say it is a waste of time.
Some airdrops are still profitable, for that amount of time I think it's something that worth it, but I agree that a lot of them are useless.
rama666

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 11:17:05 PM

Now you can not earn much on airdrop. Now, almost every bounty has a pool with telegrams. They are divided into an average of 1-2 thousand people, whereas in the ordinary landing involved 20-60k people and the payment there is much less
HabBear

Activity: 1008
Merit: 617

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 11:45:26 PM

I created this Guide for beginners who would like to know what an airdrop is, how it works and why they're doing it.
I kept it simple, but it should give an overview of the big-picture.
I responded to the questions I was asking myself when I didn't know what was going on, here's the simple info that you should have.

_______

On Steemit: https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@onemantiger/ultimate-guide-how-to-survive-the-airdrop-fever

This is a great guide - and it's word for word from the Steemit article. This fact - at first - made me suspect you plaigerized it, but I noticed you have a similar name here to the author of the Steemit article.

Can you confirm that you are the author of the article you're quoting from Steemit? Are you Onemantiger on Steemit?

SNob2017

Activity: 142

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 11:57:40 PM

Thanks for your airdrop guide. It was quite informative.
duomotigre

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 02:18:51 AM

Thanks for your airdrop guide. It was quite informative.

Thanks Snob, I'm glad it helped!
duomotigre

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:03:44 AM

thanks for this wonderful guide it helps a lot, specially newbies like me. so thats the different between airdrop and bounties now i know.

Thanks Yazher, I’m this guide helped you out! Smiley
Kryptowolf512

Activity: 420
Merit: 105

German Translator - Hire me on Bitcointalk!

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2018, 01:45:29 PM

Great guide, thanks for your work. Maybe you should post it in other sections too  Wink
And keep doing stuff like this. We need people like you in this community Smiley

Mbah Singo

Activity: 57

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2018, 04:20:42 PM

Very helpfull information for the newbi like me. Thanks a lot
evgen9000

Activity: 13

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 06:43:20 PM

Many thanks for the valuable information on airdrop. For a long time I looked for something that was understandable on this topic. I recommend to all newcomers like me. Wink
BCHachiman

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2018, 08:20:44 PM

If you want to join as many airdrop its better to do reviews before joining because its Very awkward to promote scam airdrops to your friends.
JasperVS11

Activity: 45

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 09:37:26 PM

If you want you can join the ICO and Airdrop community. I spend a fair amount of time a day to really investigate the potential of each airdrop. That way I try to filter out the airdrops that have some real value.

Feel free to join by using this link: https://t.me/joinchat/FTuL-Q4leB38XkixiCJTCA
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.