Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:57:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Everything working smoothly after your free update to OSX Mavericks today?  (Read 3764 times)
toffoo (OP)

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 02:46:53 AM

For the Mac-using Bitcoiners out there, I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread to share experiences after today's big update.

Is everything bitcoin-related (or otherwise) still working smoothly for you?  Any major hangups?

I haven't done the update yet but will probably try it in the next few days.  I'm more apprehensive than usual with this update, as it is a major revision and I'm worried about breaking something critical I need for bitcoin (like MacGPG) or any potential new security issues.  Also, none of the v0.8.x Mac binary releases of the bitcoin-qt client really worked consistently for me on Mountain Lion, so I'm still running v0.7.2.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 02:57:15 AM

I am also wondering about this.  I will as well try the update in the next few days and report back. I'm using v0.8.5

lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:05:50 AM

I'm having issues, but not bitcoin related ones!

When i type on my keyboard, some of my keys randomly both enter the key that I pressed AND adjust the volume, either up, down, mute or unmute... even the icon appears on the screen as if i had tapped F10, F11 or F12, even though I am absolutely sure that I'm not... And it doesn't even happen regularly, just randomly (i can't predict which keys will trigger this happening).

PLEASE tell me someone else has seen this "issue"?

Im on a 2011 July Macbook Air, upgraded to Mavericks today, and that's when the issues started!
smscotten

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 12:38:19 PM

I've only updated my laptop and not my desktop in case anything is wonky. Have only hit one serious snag so far, but I don't run the QT client on my laptop; I run Multibit. And Multibit ran fine on Mountain Lion but does not run on Mavericks10/23/13 5:11:55.813 AM

Dock[453]: LSOpenFromURLSpec(file:///Applications/MultiBit.app/) failed with -10658

That looks like it could be a JDK issue but I am kinda stumped.

medicine

Activity: 697

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 03:02:27 AM

I finished the update and everything seems to be running smoothly with the bitcoin and litecoin wallets.

One hiccup was that my machine asked me to create a new account after the installation and when it finally booted up under that new account all my files weren't there and I have a short melt down thinking things had been wiped.  Then I gathered myself and realized all I needed to do was log out and log in with my original user account and things were back to normal.

Lesson learned: back up all important files often.  Everyone says it all the time, but I was lazy and hadn't done a real backup in a month or two.  Time to get more diligent with that.
Peace.
splnkr

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 01:13:15 PM

The first time I tried to run MultiBit after Mavericks upgrade I was prompted with a message that a Java 6 SE runtime was required, and the OS offered to install one for me. I said yes, it seamlessly installed one, and everything seems to be working fine now. Hope that's helpful.
shadylane318

Activity: 7

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 03:09:07 PM

Updated to Mavericks but Bitcoin wallet refuses to open. Every time I start it up it crashes.
toffoo (OP)

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 02:47:06 AM

Updated to Mavericks but Bitcoin wallet refuses to open. Every time I start it up it crashes.

Which bitcoin client and which version number?

asyn

Activity: 25

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:16:37 PM

Armory doesn't open at all after the update to Mavericks.

So if you are using Armory on your Mac: Don't update to Mavericks until this is fixed!

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56424.msg3395702#msg3395702
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 05:25:51 AM

I can't get homebrew to install. And that's what I use to install encfs, which is what i use over bitorrentsync to keep my documents and such sync'd...

Using BoxCryptor in the interim, but don't like it.

Also, sometimes when my iMac goes to sleep, when I wake it back up, it'll have a force quit menu with a bunch of paused programs saying that it ran out of application memory. I had never seen this happen prior to the upgrade.

Lastly, the way that it moves the dock around my monitors is really annoying. I wish the dock would just be present all the time on all my screens instead of jumping around. I find it confusing.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 09:05:09 AM

Only complete noobs install the first release of any new apple OS

Personally i would wait for at-least the first update…   

Safari is already broken, with it's recent update on 10.8.5

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 01:03:22 AM

I did the update last night.  No issues I can see.  I run multibit on my main mac.
inevertell

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 03:03:44 PM

Guess I won't update until I know Multibit is working as I use it quite a bit on my macbook as a convenient way to get a couple of coins around with me.
Its a nice alternative to bitcoin qt which always freezes my system when trying to download the blockchain.
(I've never been able to run the official bitcoin application on my macbook, on my windows PC, any info on that?)

World

Activity: 743

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 11:28:54 PM

Some practical tips
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/3182

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 06:43:59 AM

Only use Electrum, seems fine so far. Biggest non-bitcoin problem was some of my AppleScripts/applications that got copied over in the migration had their variables replaced with bugs, so I had to edit them back to original.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
World

Activity: 743

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 09:20:36 AM

"App Nap" page #8
https://www.apple.com/media/us/osx/2013/docs/OSX_Mavericks_Core_Technology_Overview.pdf

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: