Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:00:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-10-23 Western Union Says Bitcoin Not Ready For Primetime  (Read 2302 times)
row5_seat47 (OP)

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 09:23:17 PM

At the eighth annual Western Union Consumer Protection & Compliance Conference held September 18th, 2013, Jay Postma, CAMS, President, MSB Compliance Inc. and  Scott Apodaca, CAMS, Senior Manager, Western Union gave a presentation entitled “Emerging Risk of Digital Currency (E-Currency / Bitcoin / Liberty Reserve) [PDF link].”
http://bitcoinmagazine.com/7692/western-union-says-bitcoin-not-ready-for-primetime/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 09:24:43 PM

Heh. What else would they say? Bitcoin is their doom.
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 09:32:54 PM

Yeah, better send money with Western Union...

Last time I had to send with them they charged me 4% fees, plus I lost nearly 2h to send it because software was not working at that moment...
Also my partner couldn't take money because they fail entering info, they typed name on surname and surname on name.

Also you can only send and receive 3,000€ every 3 months...

They have nothing to do against bitcoin.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 09:42:08 PM

Heh. What else would they say? Bitcoin is their doom.

it sure was nice of the bitcoin foundation to go and rub some salt in those wounds

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 02:58:51 AM

Wasn't the horse and buggy industry saying the same thing about automobiles?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 06:59:12 AM

I can see that none of you even looked at the presentation. If you read the presentation, you will see that it is very neutral, and perhaps even a little pro-bitcoin because it acknowledges many of the advantages of Bitcoin. The reasons it gives for saying it is not "ready for prime time" (regarding international money transfer) are accurate:
Worldwide use of bitcoin is growing
- but there is not sufficient use and liquidity yet for massive adoption
Also, consumer interfaces to bitcoin are not sufficiently mature yet
- ease of use, clarity of transactions, taxation issues, etc.
And…many regulatory issues yet to be adequately addressed

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 07:25:29 AM

I can see that none of you even looked at the presentation. If you read the presentation, you will see that it is very neutral, and perhaps even a little pro-bitcoin because it acknowledges many of the advantages of Bitcoin. The reasons it gives for saying it is not "ready for prime time" (regarding international money transfer) are accurate:

Exactly. Moreover bitcoin is not necessarily an enemy of WU. Its also potentially a huge business opportunity for them. For instance, its great that bitcoin allows immigrant workers to send remittances home at no fee, but its pointless if the people back home dont have the required PC skills and access to a bitcoin exchange and bankaccount. WU could just cash out the bitcoins for them, they have a huge presence just about everywhere that matters.
de3mka

Activity: 102
Merit: 13

How do I change an avatar?

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 08:10:28 AM

Its also potentially a huge business opportunity for them.

This. Too bad they don't understand they can optimize their back-end to use bitcoin to transfer value between subsidiaries (WU nodes). When they realize the benefits there will be another company offering the same service with lower commission.

BTC: 16o89714EG9WGyi39NxifutFYk55QkxqQK
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 08:14:26 AM

This. Too bad they don't understand they can optimize their back-end to use bitcoin to transfer value between subsidiaries (WU nodes). When they realize the benefits there will be another company offering the same service with lower commission.

Im pretty sure WU sees this too. As does paypal btw, its definately not incompatible with bitcoin either.
But as they point out, its too early for them to get involved.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 08:41:22 AM

They are right you know - it is next week.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 11:17:29 AM

The slides are pretty good. Kudos to Jay and Scott. I might use the first parts for my own presentations from now on.

I like the way they describe Bitcoin as "good money" (no chargebacks). I've never seen this term before, but the way it's used makes it sound like a piece of jargon with a standardised definition.

The assessment of the FinCEN guidance is spot on.

The second part is unfortunate. It appears to assume that all "e-currency" transactions are inherently criminal. Perhaps that reflects their prior experience.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 12:50:55 PM

i like this article. alot of nice little pieces of big companys that noticed bitcoin and its potential.

qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 04:47:52 PM

Absolutely. If they decide to move quickly, they may as well be the one company to profit the most from bitcoin.
They have precisely the kind of infrastructure to make inexpensive remittance with bitcoins happen.
That's a Billion-Dollar-industry where right now they have a lot of competition.
Being the first-mover in this area will ensure a huge piece of the pie when it comes to future market share.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 08:11:00 PM

Western Union is making the same monumental mistake that Microsoft did when it ignored the Internet.

They'll come crying later, when they notice their international wire traffic plummeting.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 08:26:27 PM

Exactly. Moreover bitcoin is not necessarily an enemy of WU. Its also potentially a huge business opportunity for them. For instance, its great that bitcoin allows immigrant workers to send remittances home at no fee, but its pointless if the people back home dont have the required PC skills and access to a bitcoin exchange and bankaccount. WU could just cash out the bitcoins for them, they have a huge presence just about everywhere that matters.

I think Puppet has the right idea, but I'm betting that WU will use Bitcoin internally to transfer funds, without customers knowing or caring. It will save them a ton of money.

I think that is why they say it is not ready for prime time -- bitcoin is not yet big enough to support them.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:10:15 PM

I think that is why they say it is not ready for prime time -- bitcoin is not yet big enough to support them.
I think it means they are buying some with their personal money, but they are not implementing it into their business model yet  Smiley.
somestranger

Activity: 487
Merit: 500

Are You Shpongled?

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:47:53 PM

I think they will change their minds in a couple years, otherwise they are going to disappear.
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:48:49 PM

Emerging Risk of Digital Currency to their business. It will be their doom. Cheesy
ranmn7

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 11:18:16 PM

Sounds to me like there is an opportunity here to set up a competitive service.

Say a network of bitcoin users get together and offer exchanges to local currencies world wide.

Makes me wish I had the capital to start up a venture of this nature. Someone will I'm certain as soon as there is enough confidence in the use of Bitcoins for this type of exchange.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 02:35:32 AM

Sounds to me like there is an opportunity here to set up a competitive service.

Say a network of bitcoin users get together and offer exchanges to local currencies world wide.

Makes me wish I had the capital to start up a venture of this nature. Someone will I'm certain as soon as there is enough confidence in the use of Bitcoins for this type of exchange.

im down. ill act as a gateway. get some more people together.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Puppet
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 06:32:11 AM

Without being licensed as money transmitter? Good luck.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 07:11:17 AM
Last edit: October 25, 2013, 07:22:41 AM by prophetx

Without being licensed as money transmitter? Good luck.

You all are missing the point... think of how all those western union locations are licensed...

Agent/franchise model.

Still am in disbelief no one in bitcoin land has figured this out.  

Hire a guy with an MBA and a lawyer and get them to work setting it up, it isnt rocket science... dont you think 711 would offer bitcoin if they could make an extra 1% on transfers vs offering WU... you bet they would...

By the time the dumb dumbs at WU realize this is going to hurt their business they will pay mega bucks to acquire the company, just like when Time Warner bought AOL which was a ridiculous deal

I bet you can even train a monkey to take cash for bitcoins, scan qr codes and press send

C. Bergmann

Activity: 803
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:20:25 AM

Anyone noticed the phrase "Not ready"? Think we all agree about that. Now WU is on our side regarding the future of payment Smiley

▄▄████▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄▄
▄█████▀▀            ▀▀█████▄
▄███▀       ▄████▄       ▀███▄
███      ▄██████████▄      ███
███    ▄██████████████▄    ███
███    ████████████████    ███
███    ▀██████████████▀    ███
███      ▀██████████▀      ███
▀███▄       ▀████▀       ▄███▀
▀█████▄▄            ▄▄█████▀
▀▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀████▀▀
Gabro███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
WHITEPAPER
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TOKEN SALES
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 04:06:38 PM

just keep it small and quiet. advertize with word of mouth. we can build a network of ordinary people who just drive to meet customers. Mexicans arn't going to tattle tale on you to the cops.

Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 05:04:51 PM

I think they just don't like a competitor with no expenses, hard to compete.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 05:05:03 PM

Anyone noticed the phrase "Not ready"? Think we all agree about that. Now WU is on our side regarding the future of payment Smiley

thought the same! thats a good point  Wink

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: