Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:19:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Human Augmentation  (Read 1331 times)
Anonymous

August 17, 2011, 07:17:55 PM

Should people have the right to modify and enhance their bodies in any way they choose? Should somebody be able to replace their limbs with more powerful ones that could make one more capable of defending themselves? How about intelligence? Is it equitable for somebody to enhance their intelligence beyond the average worker?

Yes, I am taking an argument from an upcoming video game but it's legitimate nonetheless.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 07:19:18 PM

I don't see why not... if someone wants to make themselves a robot or a superhuman, that's up to them.
Anonymous

August 17, 2011, 07:39:46 PM

I don't see why not... if someone wants to make themselves a robot or a superhuman, that's up to them.
What if everyone becomes superior through augmentations but the poor -- whom can't afford it -- are left in the cold? They would be inferior and would have to settle for lesser jobs. Is that really fair?
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 07:43:45 PM

What if everyone becomes superior through augmentations but the poor -- whom can't afford it -- are left in the cold? They would be inferior and would have to settle for lesser jobs. Is that really fair?
Sure it's fair.  If the poor want to be augmented, they can work their butts off and save their money to get augmented.  It's like choosing to get a college education or not.  Yeah, it costs a lot of money, but if you want, you can work your butt off, save your money, pay for your tuition (or be stupid like me and just get student loans), and put yourself through college so that you can get a better job.
Anonymous

August 17, 2011, 07:55:32 PM

Sure it's fair.  If the poor want to be augmented, they can work their butts off and save their money to get augmented.  It's like choosing to get a college education or not.  Yeah, it costs a lot of money, but if you want, you can work your butt off, save your money, pay for your tuition (or be stupid like me and just get student loans), and put yourself through college so that you can get a better job.
Like a college education, what if the prices are kept artificially high by government subsidies and protection such as patents? Should augmentations be subsidized for the poor in this case or should we eliminate these government benefits for the corporations?
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 08:00:30 PM

Like a college education, what if the prices are kept artificially high by government subsidies and protection such as patents? Should augmentations be subsidized for the poor in this case or should we eliminate these government benefits for the corporations?
Government benefits have no place in a free market.  JMO.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 08:48:19 PM

Should somebody be able to replace their limbs with more powerful ones that could make one more capable of defending themselves?

Firearms solve a lot of personal defense problems.
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 10:34:18 PM

If the poor want to be augmented, they can work their butts off and save their money to get augmented.  It's like choosing to get a college education or not.  Yeah, it costs a lot of money, but if you want, you can work your butt off, save your money, pay for your tuition (or be stupid like me and just get student loans), and put yourself through college so that you can get a better job.

I don't like this reasoning very much. But I am all for free market. Where does this leave me? Is there another way?
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 10:42:14 PM

I can't fucking wait to play human revolution, I haven't bought it yet but damn do I want to play that game badly.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 10:49:57 PM

If the poor want to be augmented, they can work their butts off and save their money to get augmented.  It's like choosing to get a college education or not.  Yeah, it costs a lot of money, but if you want, you can work your butt off, save your money, pay for your tuition (or be stupid like me and just get student loans), and put yourself through college so that you can get a better job.

I don't like this reasoning very much. But I am all for free market. Where does this leave me? Is there another way?

I guess it depends on what your reasoning is.

Regardless, how is improving one's ability to work by using money unfair at all?

Examples:
- Pizza delivery job requires own car.  You must pay money to purchase a car to work the job.
- CPA position requires degree and passage of exam, both of which require money to work the job.
- Professor at a college requires a PHD.  You must pay money to get said PHD to work the job.
- Lifting 500 lb non-palletized items requires augmented superhuman.  You must pay money to get augmented to work the job.
- Your new job requires a certain type of uniform that you have to purchase for $75.  You must pay money to get the uniform to work the job.

These are all the same in my eyes... it doesn't matter whether it is knowledge, attaches to your body, or is simply an object you sometimes use to help you perform your job.  They all cost money, they all result in you having a better chance in the job market, and they all come down to a personal decision about whether the person would like to risk their money on making such a purchase in order to improve their own value in the job market.
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 10:51:20 PM

negating the subtleties of the thread and looking at just the surface, look at this way:

Parents are already feeding their kids HGH, so when mods become a commodity which they will, all because of capitalism, the most rich and brightest will always have access to the best.

right or wrong, it's how capitalism works.

Now look at what all the other kids are getting, HGH through cow, unless you drink soy milk or get milk or eat meat from a verifiable source that does not use HGH you are also getting HGH through cow.
Fakeman

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 12:56:36 AM

Cosmetic surgery is a pretty similar idea and it's been around for a while. In spite of that, the results are often pretty gruesome even for people with boatloads of money.

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 10:01:12 AM

With progress in genetics within the next few decades we will already be seeing increasing differences between the poor and the rich. The rich will be stronger, more intelligent and will live longer.

Signature space available for rent.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 18, 2011, 10:15:53 AM

With progress in genetics within the next few decades we will already be seeing increasing differences between the poor and the rich. The rich will be stronger, more intelligent and will live longer.

I dont think nature is so easily controllable, pretense of knowledge and delusions of control comes to mind. Some of this people spending a lot of money on genetic augmenations are going to be up for a big surprise.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
blogospheroid

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 10:14:13 AM

Don't see why not.

My preference would be for cybernetic enhancements rather than genetic enhancements since upgadeability is a factor there.

The concern that the unenhanced will be left behind can be addressed by a minimum test of personhood, not sure if we can formulate one fairly enough now. If anyone meets this criteria, they are persons. They have the right to redress in a court and can get into contracts.
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 10:56:48 AM

Just saw cowboys and aliens today... this discussion reminds me of the wristband on the main character.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: