Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:16:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Project  (Read 700 times)
powdabam (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 07:48:36 PM

Our team has been working on a project for a while and we would like to integrate with the bitcoin forum as far as usernames are concerned.  Who would I need to talk to about integration of api?  The only thing we want is for everyone to be able to keep their well known, forum usernames.  We don't want to risk that when we launch our new company and site, that people can take a well known forum username.  We are big believers of integration, making things easier for Bitcoin users to use other platforms are very important.  Imagine being able to go to any large Bitcoin platform and being able to simply use your same login/password everywhere.

Please point me in the right direction, our programmers are eagerly awaiting this information.

Thank you,
-Adam

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 07:55:34 PM

You might consider limiting this to individual option.
For example, having messages signed by the address used in their profile or something like that.  Single Sign-on and shared userid is not an advantage to security.  Generally it is the opposite of that.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
powdabam (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 08:01:13 PM

For example, having messages signed by the address used in their profile or something like that.  Single Sign-on and shared userid is not an advantage to security.  Generally it is the opposite of that.

The only thing we are looking for is integration.  Meaning when users sign into our site, it will sign them into bitcointalk.org.  Our end will have nothing to do with it.  Security will not change.  It works just like the FB integration that you find in most forums/websites no a days.

In other words, a user on our site would click "Comment" and a box would pop up and say, "Would you like to log in using your bitcointalk.org ID ?"

I think I understand you correctly.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 08:04:03 PM

The only thing we are looking for is integration.  Meaning when users sign into our site, it will sign them into bitcointalk.org.  Our end will have nothing to do with it.  Security will not change.  It works just like the FB integration that you find in most forums/websites no a days.

In other words, a user on our site would click "Comment" and a box would pop up and say, "Would you like to log in using your bitcointalk.org ID ?"

I think I understand you correctly.

You have described a change in security.
If one is sending their credentials to a place other than the custodian of those credentials.
Facebook uses Oauth for single sign-on, which is a security degradation.

http://hueniverse.com/2012/07/oauth-2-0-and-the-road-to-hell/

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
powdabam (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 08:33:27 PM

Thank you for your help New Liberty.

We will have to go in a different direction for security sake.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 08:55:36 PM

For example, having messages signed by the address used in their profile or something like that.  

This ^^^
It can be semi-automated anyway.
It provides an authoritative identity validation which accomplishes your goal in part.
You can pull the userlist of BitcoinTalk already and reserve those usernames pending this sort of authorization for the other part.
And it avoids the SSO issues.

also the bitcointalk forum is not using OAuth so that avenue is not open anyhow.

powdabam (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:49:01 PM

Honestly,

We don't want a token from them in return, all we need is a success or failure code to know it's a valid user/pass combo.  Would gladly be willing to meet with and sign an agreement with whoever is in charge of Bitcoin forum.

Any information on who I could contact would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you again.
-Adam 
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:53:57 PM

all we need is a success or failure code to know it's a valid user/pass combo. 

What?

All I need is a sledgehammer to flatten the server this idiocy is running on and any meatbags associated with it.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 10:20:17 PM

Honestly,

We don't want a token from them in return, all we need is a success or failure code to know it's a valid user/pass combo.  Would gladly be willing to meet with and sign an agreement with whoever is in charge of Bitcoin forum.

Any information on who I could contact would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you again.
-Adam  

You could do what you are contemplating with the method I suggested.  You could do this without any agreement or code or anything from the BitcoinTalk.org team using only the publicly available information freely divulged by its users, and without BitcoinTalk implementing any change whatsoever.  You can progress this immediately with nothing you don't already have.
My suggestion also allows your system to remain uncompromised by any security issues which may or may not exist in the BitcoinTalk forum.

If you insist on barking up the OAuth tree, you can directly harass the folks in charge with offers of Agreements and Contracts by clicking on that "Donate" link up there and reading enough of that page to see who has the keys to cage, or by a quick reddit search.  (Hint: Its not really Thermos) Or failing that, sort the members list by date registered and see if you find anything interesting.

But now that you've given me the idea this is somehow desirable, I (or someone with more copious spare time) may code this together and sell it to you instead.  Wink  Why not simply offer a bounty?

powdabam (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:47:41 PM

I was going to bounty but I currently only hold Litecoin while the BTC deflates =/

You've been very helpful and although you may monetize such a list or task, We are only trying to grow the community and appreciate the help you have given.

While I still have your seemingly omnescent attention <3, Is there a list anywhere of all the Merchants who accept BTC aside from the wiki?  I've read there are over 12k, and that list contains a little over 1200.

Thanks again.

Oh and I appreciated the benign retort from the gentleman above you =]

-Adam
NewLiberty
Legendary

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 11:48:56 PM

I was going to bounty but I currently only hold Litecoin while the BTC deflates =/

You've been very helpful and although you may monetize such a list or task, We are only trying to grow the community and appreciate the help you have given.

While I still have your seemingly omnescent attention <3, Is there a list anywhere of all the Merchants who accept BTC aside from the wiki?  I've read there are over 12k, and that list contains a little over 1200.

Thanks again.

Oh and I appreciated the benign retort from the gentleman above you =]

-Adam

Helpful is my goal, though I can appear cantankerous.  You have @bitcoininformation to thank for the attention, he tweeted your post.

I don't know everything about authentication, security and programming, just what comes from a couple decades of wrestling with identity management and anonymity issues, far from omniscient.  I know even less about merchant lists.  Were I to go down that road....

Bitpay and Coinbase would have the most comprehensive lists.
Those aren't public.
There are a number of "yellow pages" type sites for bitcoin which are begging for some enterprising aggregation, but there isn't one I know of that has all of them.

I wish you every success.

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 11:50:43 PM

Check out how BTCJam did it by parsing a thread. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117725.0 That is probably your best bet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: