Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:57:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What solution would you prefer?
Unconditional income (extremely high taxation inevitable) - 174 (77.3%)
Planned economy (with full employment provided by state) - 51 (22.7%)
Total Voters: 225

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Technological unemployment is (almost) here  (Read 88214 times)
687_2

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 12:32:30 AM

Unemployment is an artificially created situation used by governments to keep the employment market competitive and wages low.
It's easy to solve n% unemployment if you want to - just make everyone work n% less and thus create n% more work.

Precisely what happened in the United States with the new healthcare law. Employment numbers look great though!

Buy the dip with the security and privacy of your own wallet: use cross chain atomic swaps to trade Bitcoin, USDT, and Ether. Trades are secured and settled on-chain. https://sibex.io

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 12:10:23 PM

I have two jobs. People in cities think that "someone has an obligation to employ them".
Well, it is not my poroblem that you in the USA are spending money on war and corruption instead of education and spreading this paradigm across the globe. I don't need this and not even my employer. I can manage. Also, I can buy a gun.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 09:18:14 PM

As I mentioned in this thread before, the idea of guaranteed minimum income depends entirely on the ability to confiscate income elsewhere, or print new money, which if bitcoin takes over will be made impossible.

Perhaps in the future our society will change to believe that some humans have worth, and others are worthless, instead of the every life is worth the same idea we have now?
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 09:20:30 PM

... are we (almost) there yet?

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 11:24:53 PM

As I mentioned in this thread before, the idea of guaranteed minimum income depends entirely on the ability to confiscate income elsewhere, or print new money, which if bitcoin takes over will be made impossible.

Perhaps in the future our society will change to believe that some humans have worth, and others are worthless, instead of the every life is worth the same idea we have now?

That sounds like sarcasm. You don't have to evaluate people. You just need to respect their rights. That's all.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 03:44:27 AM

That sounds like sarcasm. You don't have to evaluate people. You just need to respect their rights. That's all.

Their rights to keep what they earn? Or their rights to take other people's personal stuff by force because they have a "right" to it?
Nicolas Dorier

Activity: 714
Merit: 619

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 10:23:45 AM

For all rights you have to ask : "if the government enforces such right, who will pay the bill ?"
The only right forcing to no one to pay for the bill of another is the right to keep the value you create.

This is the difference between "enforcing" the right, and "protecting" it.

Bitcoin address 15sYbVpRh6dyWycZMwPdxJWD4xbfxReeHe
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 10:52:04 AM

Their rights to keep what they earn? Or their rights to take other people's personal stuff by force because they have a "right" to it?

Their rights to keep what they earn.

superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 02:55:14 PM

Guys this one is mind blowing :

http://www.ted.com/talks/jeremy_howard_the_wonderful_and_terrifying_implications_of_computers_that_can_learn#

What happens when we teach a computer how to learn? Technologist Jeremy Howard shares some surprising new developments in the fast-moving field of deep learning, a technique that can give computers the ability to learn Chinese, or to recognize objects in photos, or to help think through a medical diagnosis. (One deep learning tool, after watching hours of YouTube, taught itself the concept of “cats.”) Get caught up on a field that will change the way the computers around you behave … sooner than you probably think.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 07:39:56 PM

Guys this one is mind blowing :

http://www.ted.com/talks/jeremy_howard_the_wonderful_and_terrifying_implications_of_computers_that_can_learn#

What happens when we teach a computer how to learn? Technologist Jeremy Howard shares some surprising new developments in the fast-moving field of deep learning, a technique that can give computers the ability to learn Chinese, or to recognize objects in photos, or to help think through a medical diagnosis. (One deep learning tool, after watching hours of YouTube, taught itself the concept of “cats.”) Get caught up on a field that will change the way the computers around you behave … sooner than you probably think.

... more mind blowing is the number of humans that refuse to be taught how to learn ... maybe bread and circuses can be used to turn the AI's into useless obedient slothful servant drones also?

giantdragon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:49:25 AM

Professional poker players, tech unemployment come for you also!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-08/texas-hold-em-mastered-in-months-by-computer-with-no-wrong-moves.html
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 09:49:26 AM

Thanks for sharing. But it works only for HU limit hold'em. Impressive, but still a very long way to go before any bot is able to win any major tournament.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
okthen

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 09:59:30 AM

Thanks for sharing. But it works only for HU limit hold'em. Impressive, but still a very long way to go before any bot is able to win any major tournament.

Yep, doubt a bot can ever win a non-online tournament, there's too much bluffing and emotions going on.
Whereas online, if it can analyze thousands of games it might find humans extremely predictable...
giantdragon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 09:49:25 PM

Steve Wozniak admitted the problem!

http://uk.businessinsider.com/steve-wozniak-artificial-intelligence-interview-humans-family-pets-2015-3
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2015, 10:36:21 PM

Similar to what Bill Gates said, during the same interview when he talked about bitcoin iirc.

But the problem of AI taking over is not necessarily directly related to technological unemployment. Maybe AI will employ every human to do some kind of dirty work for 18 hours a day in exchange for a bowl of rice and glass of water...

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Natalia_AnatolioPAMM

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 10:56:06 PM

Similar to what Bill Gates said, during the same interview when he talked about bitcoin iirc.

But the problem of AI taking over is not necessarily directly related to technological unemployment. Maybe AI will employ every human to do some kind of dirty work for 18 hours a day in exchange for a bowl of rice and glass of water...

agreed. not the best perspective
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 12:01:28 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2015, 02:13:33 AM by marcus_of_augustus

no, the AI will keep you in a continually doped and attention-distracted state such that your reality would appear to be that you are living a nirvana-like existence when in reality you are an undernourished peasant slave doing little more than working, eating, sleeping ...

edit: wait, the State is an AI?

Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 01:59:36 AM

It's been almost here for centuries now. This idea is called the Luddite fallacy.

Both of your proposed solutions are poor choices and represent another fallacy, the false dilemma fallacy.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 02:45:11 AM

Actually many of today's employment have nothing to do with productivity, you employ people just to give them a job, although the same job can be done without them

In order to give people a job, it is important you have extra money to spare, so here fits the forever increasing national debt into the picture: Government borrow trillions of money to spend on construction projects and health care, creating lots of job

I have observed clearly how things developed during the latest 15 years, those high tech companies are continuously laying off workers and replace them with software or offshore workers, while those government aided branches get a boost. However, those works are typically welfare type of work, not market driven

manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 25, 2015, 06:02:04 PM

I wish I was born 100 years from now. I would be enjoying a welfare paycheck, I Don't even care if it's not a lot. I would be able to focus on leisure time, work on art and other things that I love that don't give me any money, while the machines work for us and the people that are really needed do their job and get paid a lot.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  

Jump to: