Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:08:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why bitcoin isn't currency.  (Read 21361 times)
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:08:07 AM

It isn't a fucking currency because if I give it to my workers, they said thanks but then ask when I will pay their salary.

You appear to be confused by the separate but related concepts of "currency" and "legal tender."

I am not confused about what I can use to pay people. Are you?

You can pay people with anything they choose to accept.

You just can't insist with the force of law that they accept it in satisfaction of a debt ("legal tender").

Bitcoin is not legal tender but that does not mean it is not currency, though "money" is probably a better term, because "currency" often implies "legal tender" even though it does not necessarily denote that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 01:19:35 AM

Seems it might be you soon, based on the mental level and maturity demonstrated.

Enough of this nonsense. I made my point. Good luck.

Fair enough. You seem to have some good ideas, but they're not well put together.

This guy is clever but his arrogance alienates him strongly. So he ends up being brushed off by other clever guys... Grin

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:25:09 AM
Last edit: November 18, 2013, 02:01:56 AM by AnonyMint

This guy is clever but his arrogance alienates him strongly. So he ends up being brushed off by other clever guys... Grin

High IQ individuals tend to come across as arrogant, because invariably they must push against the inertia if they want to "do the right thing".

Tell me if Eric Raymond doesn't sound arrogant here in Ego is for little people.

Quote from: Eric Raymond
I’m not speaking abstractly here. I’ve always been more interested in doing the right thing than doing what would make me popular, to the point where I generally figure that if I’m not routinely pissing off a sizable minority of people I should be pushing harder.

Quote from: Eric Raymond
I’m going to use myself as an example now, mainly because I don’t know anyone else’s story well enough to make the point I want to with it. I’m the crippled kid who became a black-belt martial artist and teacher of martial artists. I’ve made the New York Times bestseller list as a writer. You can hardly use a browser, a cellphone, or a game console without relying on my code. I’ve been a session musician on two records. I’ve blown up the software industry once, reinvented the hacker culture twice, and am without doubt one of the dozen most famous geeks alive. Investment bankers pay me $300 an hour to yak at them because I have a track record as a shrewd business analyst. I don’t even have a BS, yet there’s been an entire academic cottage industry devoted to writing exegeses of my work. I could do nothing but speaking tours for the rest of my life and still be overbooked. Earnest people have struggled their whole lives to change the world less than I routinely do when I’m not even really trying. Here’s the point: In what way would it make sense for me to be in ego or status competition with anybody?

I envy his writing skills. Also you will not find him arguing in blogs other than his own, where he has absolute authority to censor. Wise, but less adventurous. I am more adventurous.

Btw, I am quite nice and popular when I am not pushing to "do the right thing" or debating technical issues. Unfortunately it is painstakingly tedious tsuris to be perceived as nice and also do the right thing, because a fact of the bell curve of IQ is the MAJORITY IS ALWAYS WRONG (as a groupthink, individual diversity is very important though).

Any way, I will remove myself from the landscape. I don't want eyes on me. I don't want to be famous or a personality here. I was just trying to "do the right thing" in terms of creating some awareness of the need to fix Bitcoin, as I perceive it.

P.S. Long ago I tried to start some discussion on topics in a nice way in bitcointalk. And what invariably happens is I was attacked and belittled by the gatekeepers of Bitcoin and others were too ignorant of the issues to perceive that the gatekeepers were fooling them. So the only way to really accomplish "the right thing" was to attack more cleverly than they could. In order to penetrate the groupthink and reach the individuals here.

I am sure I also did not do this perfectly. I surely dropped my bad mood on others needlessly at times too. It is a tough job to take all these stones thrown, sometimes I get pissed off too.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 01:47:14 AM
Last edit: November 18, 2013, 02:59:42 AM by deisik

High IQ individuals tend to come across as arrogant, because invariably they must push against the inertia if they want to "do the right thing".

Tell me...

I've already told you that you think too high of yourself (you are not that clever  Grin). People boasting about their high IQ are usually psychopathic by nature and have problems socializing as a rule, there's nothing to brag about... Cool

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 01:54:45 AM

Any way, I will remove myself from the landscape. I don't want eyes on me. I don't want to be famous or a personality here. I was just trying to "do the right thing" in terms of creating some awareness of the need to fix Bitcoin, as I perceive it.

In your place I would too. Nobody wants to be laughed at. Even (and still more) people with "high IQ" ... Grin

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 01:55:16 AM

I am contented if you want to think that. Thanks. Good luck to you all.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 02:39:49 AM

High IQ individuals tend to come across as arrogant.

There's no relationship between intelligence and social incompetence.  Nor do you strike me as intelligent anyway.  You remind me of kokjo, a confirmed autist, who often gets things wrong because he has presumed he is correct.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 02:50:29 AM

I am contented if you want to think that. Thanks. Good luck to you all.

Good riddance to you also! Grin

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 07:54:24 AM

He is not that smart, but living in a poor country makes him feel smart. Smiley

I think he was given his due, time to roll on guys! Grin

rampalija

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:00:49 AM

He is not that smart, but living in a poor country makes him feel smart. Smiley

I think he was given his due, time to roll on guys! Grin

Roll on now Smiley

lol btc is riseing again

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 02:40:02 PM

If keeps going up like this, no one is going to want it!

Quite the contrary! If BTC continues going up like this, more and more people will be interested. We had gold at around 1900$, so there's still space to fill in... Cool

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 03:11:39 PM

I thought it was clear I was being sarcastic.

"Boy, this virtual currency is really terrible." "Yeah, I know, and such small portions."

My bad! Grin

Actually, we have a clear case here for Gresham's law in action, i.e. bad money (fiat) driving out good (BTC) and at the same time contributing greatly to ever smaller portions (coins become rare and far in between)... Cool

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 03:53:27 PM

Not only push against the inertia, but also tend to have to carry a bunch of others while pushing.
The arrogance is a defense against the exhaustion.
There are many brilliant people without the arrogance, they tend to get less done.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 04:47:09 PM

Not only push against the inertia, but also tend to have to carry a bunch of others while pushing.
There are many brilliant people without the arrogance, they tend to get less done.

Just let me say Gresham's law and here comes his lawyer!!! Grin 

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 05:09:37 PM

The sillygism seems to go like this:

Some geniuses are arrogant asshats.
I'm an arrogant asshat.

Therefore, I'm a genius!
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 08:04:11 PM

Just let me say Gresham's law and here comes his lawyer!!! Grin 

I've advised Gresham to take the 5th. A statement will be issued on his behalf.

"Hold on to a better money product, spend the worst money the seller will accept unless you can get more for the better money and can get more of the better money at the time you spend."

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2013, 08:10:40 PM

I've advised Gresham to take the 5th. A statement will be issued on his behalf.

"Hold on to a better money product, spend the worst money the seller will accept unless you can get more for the better money and can get more of the better money at the time you spend."

So it was actually you behind the curtain ("the invisible hand")... Grin

mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
November 18, 2013, 08:29:05 PM

So out of all this rant:

Common slang for currency - money. End of story.
Mondy

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 12:49:05 AM

Yep i agree in a way!

sublime5447 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 06:14:58 PM

So out of all this rant:

Common slang for currency - money. End of story.

Money is the units of the measure of value that not only represent value but also have value. Examples would be gold,silver,oil, salt

Like the units of the measure of length that not only represent length but also have length. Examples would be inch worn, barleycorn, ruler, cubit

Currency is the units of the measure of value that has no value but represents value. Examples would be a promise, bitcoin, digits in a computer, bonds

Like the units of the measure of length that have no length themselves but represents length.    Examples would be  inch, meter, mile.

When we are talking about money we are talking about inch worms when we are talking about currency we are talking about inches. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: