Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:17:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: a delve into coinmarketcap history  (Read 162 times)
European Central Bank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 03:57:14 PM

https://coinmarketcap.com/historical/20131201/

this is coinmarketcap on december 1st 2013, not too far off the peak for absolutely everything.

what stands out?

almost every single coin on there is dead or forgotten. only litecoin and ripple are still contenders.

even some of the survivors like namecoin, which is one of the very few that actually has a real use, is worth 3 times less than it was four and a bit years ago.

do you think what's up there now will still be thriving in five years or will we looking at a totally different crop of coins beyond the top 3-5?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
littlebill16

Activity: 160
Merit: 12

🤖UBEX.COM 🤖

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:10:09 PM
Merited by European Central Bank (1)

It's only going to be even more extreme. There were 44 coins then and only really 3 of them have gone on to be a success. There's really not much need for more than 50 cryptocurrencies and that's being very generous. Many of the current top 20 are competing with one another and eventually one of them will win out and the others will become near obsolete, they can only all succeed right now because the market isn't established and there's still plenty of money to go around. Expecting that NEO, ADA, IOTA will be 3 to disappear with time, ETH will probably stick around just because it's so big now but better alternatives will come to steal its marketcap away.

▓▓▓█████████████████████████████░░               UBEX               ░░█████████████████████████████▓▓▓
▓██████████████████░░               Global Decentralized Advertising Exchange               ░░██████████████████▓
▓███░        • Telegram  • Facebook  • ANN Thread  • Youtube  • LinkedIn  • Twitter • Medium  • Reddit  • Github        ░███▓
Classica35

Activity: 518
Merit: 3

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:19:12 PM

Despite the reduction in the number of coins that stand the test of time, i could view that coins succeeded more is years back than what we have now. Most of the coins we have these day, either coins from ICO or community coins, after striving for a short while, there emerge an eventual abandonment by the developer. This gives us less believe in most of the altcoins we have these days. Except we decide to give such the benefit of doubt, because despite all odds some will still survive, but how do we know them?
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:20:55 PM

I am seeing different things that can happen right now and back in the days bitcoin only have a $1000 mark value and litecoin is on his side instead of ETH, Well on the recent years to come I really think that we can see further changes is about to happen with the market of Crypto, We have a large portion of Cryptoccurency to choose from, and many have their potential to go beyond the recent success of litecoin, And Ethereum I really think we should further see this through and learn from past mistakes so we can see to it on what is up for us in the future to come.
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:25:48 PM

There were 44 coins then and only really 3 of them have gone on to be a success.

y'know what? i didn't even check the values of the lower tiers. i thought it was the top 40, but actually it's every single listed one which makes the current amount of noise even more incredible.

i'm not sure whether that means what's up there now will get stronger or whether it'll be just as brutal at the top as it is down at the bottom. as things heat up i can imagine ever greater concentration into a smaller number, and a massive sub caste of thousands of coins going nowhere. i don't see who or what would keep 95% or more of those alive.
staywoke081

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

Santa Coin

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:31:13 PM

There were 44 coins then and only really 3 of them have gone on to be a success.

y'know what? i didn't even check the values of the lower tiers. i thought it was the top 40, but actually it's every single listed one which makes the current amount of noise even more incredible.

i'm not sure whether that means what's up there now will get stronger or whether it'll be just as brutal at the top as it is down at the bottom. as things heat up i can imagine ever greater concentration into a smaller number, and a massive sub caste of thousands of coins going nowhere. i don't see who or what would keep 95% or more of those alive.
Irrational actors in an irrational market is what would keep most of these currencies alive. Once all the huge speculation is done there will be a huge drawback, but the projects that will remain will be credible for sure.

kryptogunner

Activity: 658
Merit: 10

Community Builder and Telegram Moderator

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:36:41 PM

back then few thousand dollars and you were in top 40. now that few thousands is soft cap for most icos.  that means a lot of money is currently flowing inside. with more participation comes more expectations which leads to competitiveness. now is the time for consolidation of market where only fittest shall survive. good for everyone.

Want growth hack for community or need 24x7 community managememt?

PM here or Telegram @meatulm
rumexx

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:39:15 PM

I believe most of the coins right now in www.coinmarketcap.com will survive till the next 3-5 years coming because of the awareness that is been created now and with avalanche of ICO spring up all the time. All the team leaders of all the project that succeeded in ICO are working to promote and support their coins and make sure that those coins survive.  
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:44:30 PM

I believe most of the coins right now in www.coinmarketcap.com will survive till the next 3-5 years coming because of the awareness that is been created now and with avalanche of ICO spring up all the time. All the team leaders of all the project that succeeded in ICO are working to promote and support their coins and make sure that those coins survive.  

well, let's return in a few years and see.

personally i reckon it's crazy to think any more than 0.5-2% will survive. most are gone and forgotten within a few months, let alone years.

ICOs will soon be regarded as what many of them actually are - a totally empty money grab. even if they weren't money grabs they were attempting to solve problems that don't exist and never will.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:48:42 PM

https://coinmarketcap.com/historical/20131201/

this is coinmarketcap on december 1st 2013, not too far off the peak for absolutely everything.

what stands out?

almost every single coin on there is dead or forgotten. only litecoin and ripple are still contenders.

even some of the survivors like namecoin, which is one of the very few that actually has a real use, is worth 3 times less than it was four and a bit years ago.

do you think what's up there now will still be thriving in five years or will we looking at a totally different crop of coins beyond the top 3-5?

There was not that much coins back then. I did thought was more. Where is Aurora coin. I thought Aurora coin was super popular right at that time. Could be few months latter.   Anyway I started monitoring altcoins only half year latter from that date so cant tell that much.   But there is just 40 coins listed so if 4 succead that is 10% success rate what is good.  Maybe you should check a year younger chart. Crypto was much more popular then and many new alts popped up in 2014.
Apex Investments

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:52:25 PM

Since this is a new and emerging industry there are going to be a lot of changes over the next 2-3 years in the Top coins.  

There will be coins with major market caps that are no longer around (just like any other industry) as well as some coins that don't exist now that will come onto the scene.  

In reality, how many currency coins do we need?  One or more projects are going to seize the throne and the rest will be left to fight over what's left of the market.  Just like any other industry

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:54:04 PM

If you keep cranking out forks with no innovation then yes they will die.
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 04:57:24 PM
Last edit: March 23, 2018, 05:26:37 PM by European Central Bank

There was not that much coins back then. I did thought was more. Where is Aurora coin. I thought Aurora coin was super popular right at that time. Could be few months latter.   Anyway I started monitoring altcoins only half year latter from that date so cant tell that much.   But there is just 40 coins listed so if 4 succead that is 10% success rate what is good.  Maybe you should check a year younger chart. Crypto was much more popular then and many new alts popped up in 2014.

you may have a point with my choice of period there, but equally the fewer coins there were then the more traction they might have gained.

peercoin is one that's always been a mystery to me. it was the first POS coin, it has a very clever developer and has come up with a bunch of interesting ideas. in terms of innovation it's far beyond some of the big coins now, yet it's nowhere.

same goes for namecoin. out of all coins it's one of the extreme few that actually has a relevant purpose right now which is avoiding internet censorship. no one can seize its domains. yet no one's interested.
tarnojj

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 05:23:05 PM

hi.. dev

I am seeing different things that can happen right now and Most of the coins we have these day, either coins from ICO or community coins, after striving for a short while, there emerge an eventual abandonment by the developer. This gives us less believe in most of the altcoins we have these days. Except we decide to give such the benefit of doubt, because despite all odds some will still survive, but how do we know them? thank you  to all..
goyald2801

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 05:30:09 PM

those coins were more like a demo project or copied project ..
at that time most of people were btc investors ,, and now they are millionaire ..

but now we are getting so many good projects day by day .
maereglapo

Activity: 181

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 05:37:01 PM

Probably these coins doesnt have any good community back then,people are unware with the coins out there unlike today? people do a lot of research before investing to a coin,well mostly but few are still dumb enough to invest without proper information regarding the project and those people are the ones who are getting rekt.
cryptobobo

Activity: 210

The P2P Marketplace For Digital Content

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 09:13:44 PM

Those coins doesnt have any potential from the start,no good working platforn and product or in a simple explanation they dont have any use to our community that is why they didnt survived,the same as the shitcoins today bunch of shitcoins wont survived few years from now especially those low marketcap coin which doesnt have any good working product/services.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: