Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 11:50:33 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I talked to some people at college about bitcoin and they laughed at me.  (Read 6970 times)
Pumpkin

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 12:58:07 PM

That being said, people don't understand how fiat currencies work. They still use them.

Haha, but people think they know how fiat currencies work. You won't believe how many people I had to correct and tell that the Euro is not backed by gold.

You're probably correct... I too have had to correct too many people about fiat Sad

Still, fiat currencies steal people's wealth. It will be stealing more and more as the system gets worse! Making it easier and easier for us to talk about bitcoin Smiley
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 01:11:49 PM

That being said, people don't understand how fiat currencies work. They still use them.

Haha, but people think they know how fiat currencies work. You won't believe how many people I had to correct and tell that the Euro is not backed by gold.

You're probably correct... I too have had to correct too many people about fiat Sad

Still, fiat currencies steal people's wealth. It will be stealing more and more as the system gets worse! Making it easier and easier for us to talk about bitcoin Smiley

But people don't understand a Euro today is worth more than a Euro tomorrow. A few months ago a Dutch paper reported the increase in price of water in the Netherlands and showed the increase in price since 1900 or so. Then they continued to rant (yes papers are bad these days) how unfair the increase was. I calculated the APR and it was less than 1% per year so in effect water became much cheaper. But because the price in fiat increased people assume it's more expensive. The people in politics also seem to lack any form of knowledge in the matter because in response they began to state that the paper was right.

Using a asset/currency/made-up something which is becoming worth less over time is a really need trick to scam people because people have the tendency to compare the prices of things on different points in time on an absolute basis. Most people won't even comprehend this if you explain it to them ...
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 01:23:34 PM

I find that this is just like the internet in the 1990s...you just need a few major first party businesses to get interested and integrated and it could eventually be a domino effect.  Your friends are really short sighted...shouldve told them that starting in 2010 with a plain pc and building your way up would've made enough coin for you to retire....3 years time....

hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 01:39:36 PM

... I guess I'll be the one laughing to the bank.

Wait a minute you are laughing where?   Wink 
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 01:43:04 PM

He's laughing his way to the bank to go and laugh some more over there Smiley

Life tends to be quite cheerful when you're loaded.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 01:44:48 PM

They assume they print to replace old money, not create more.
Actually, that's technically true, if you're talking about literal money printing. When a central bank increases the money supply, they do it electronically rather than by actually printing more money, otherwise there'd be a global ink shortage. Cheesy

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 01:51:45 PM

When fiat currencies start stealing 10%-20% per year from everyone's savings, people will suddenly learn about bitcoin and understand it enough to trust it Smiley The more people leave fiat currencies, the more needs to be stolen from the rest bag holders holding fiat.

The success of fiat currencies is, in fact, at least partly that they allow the government to tax you in a way most people are too dumb even to understand.  They're ALREADY stealing from your savings.  Like shearing a sheep, most governments (outside of Zimbabwe or Nazi Germany) are smart enough not to do it to the point they turn their own currencies into toilet paper overnight.  It gets pretty obvious when you have to take a shopping cart full of trillion dollar notes to try to buy a loaf of bread.  Do it nice and slow, though, and people put up with it.
ABitBack

Activity: 524
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:18:32 PM

Who made the money? You!

Feel good😄

Dont worry so much about that what others say. When you get older you give a shit on what they say. Its good to spread the word.
they also started teasing me when I showed them my price chart app on my phone, they were like " do you sit there and watch it all day and cheer when it goes up"

Wow fuck them, the bitcoin ticker is no different than watching facebook rise and fall. Sounds like resentment to me, that you're in the know about something that goes right over their heads.

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 03:31:47 PM

Who made the money? You!

Feel good😄

Dont worry so much about that what others say. When you get older you give a shit on what they say. Its good to spread the word.
they also started teasing me when I showed them my price chart app on my phone, they were like " do you sit there and watch it all day and cheer when it goes up"

Wow fuck them, the bitcoin ticker is no different than watching facebook rise and fall. Sounds like resentment to me, that you're in the know about something that goes right over their heads.

"No, I just buy another car."
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 05:31:25 PM

There are many wrong predictions.

1. Cars - who wants to drive a car with combustible fuel that could explode anytime
2. Photocopier - we already have carbon papers

And, many more.

The internet.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Bees Brothers

Activity: 457
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 05:45:10 PM

I talked to some kids at home-school about the Federal Reserve and they laughed at the system....

Don't tread on bees! http://beesbros.com
dominicwin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 01:13:16 AM

Every success usually starts out with someone laughing.

CUBAN CIGARS for Sale - Full Boxes and Individual Cigars https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=299151.0
Austrian GOLD 1oz PHILHARMONICS -  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=330401.0
BUYING BTC HERE https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334920.0
ANiceJewishBoy

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 01:15:46 AM

Maybe mining was just too much for them to comprehend. Tell them about this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=321086.0
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:06:22 AM

On the topic of passing through a "laughed at" phase as a possible sign of greatness, I recommend watching this excellent YCombinator presentation by Chris Dixon (coincidentally, one of the first Bitcoin adopters in the VC community).  The topic is how most disruptive innovations, by definition, must "feel wrong" and be initially perceived as pointless by the majority of the universe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akOazwgDiSI

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:10:51 AM

Every success usually starts out with someone laughing.

At first it is rediculed then voilently protested then self evident.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 12:18:25 PM

Yeah, cheerful for the guys in the bank you are giving all your money to.  Good luck with that. 
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 01:24:32 PM

Yeah, cheerful for the guys in the bank you are giving all your money to.  Good luck with that. 

If you're giving your money to the guys in the bank you're doing the pointing and laughing thing wrong.

vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 01:26:55 PM

about a dozen guys in just my fraternity alone own bitcoins and see it as a (for the most part) long-term investment
WishIStartedSooner

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 01:54:06 PM

Let those people think that you are stupid... You made money with btc, they didn't. Just laugh at them Smiley
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 06:38:31 PM

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: