Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 10:14:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbies, stay away from altcoins. please  (Read 9142 times)
dustofdeath

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:52:31 AM

bitcoin investing is expensive.  Both mining or  making money off the exhange rates.

If you really wanna make profit. .you would need thousands of $ of free money for that.

Bitcoin GHAS renting and 0% fee stratum mining.
https://cex.io/r/0/condemned/0/
BitcoinWalker

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

$Gangnam works hard, so you don't have to.

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 02:54:02 AM

Do your due diligence before you want to invest. Some altcoins have great potential for profits if you invest in the right thing at the right time.

Investing with style!

rampalija

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 07:07:14 AM

Do your due diligence before you want to invest. Some altcoins have great potential for profits if you invest in the right thing at the right time.

they dont know what they are talking about

mishax1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:52:19 AM

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/7961/mastercoin-a-second-generation-protocol-on-the-bitcoin-blockchain/
D357@RG

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 10:53:06 AM

I was always suspicious of Litecoins. I got the impression that people are hoarding them in hopes their value will jump like Bitcoin. Without active circulation I don't really see this happening for them.

Yeah, Litecoin has even less traction than Bitcoin, and Litecoin's the most popular altcoin by a long shot.  There are a number of believers on here and I do think it can have further usability someday but as it stands, I think we would do better trying to get just one crypto-currency as common place before worrying about another, and Bitcoin takes the cake when it comes to familiarity.

Yeah, I mostly thought the same but am seeing a large up tick in interest in Litecoin. There could just be something to it.
D357@RG

Activity: 27

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 11:02:25 AM

I can vouch for this; don't ever trust anyone pushing a coin that isn't Bitcoin (or possible Litecoin.)  The scheme is to create a coin just to short it and abandon it; this requires people to put their time and effort into adopting the altcoin and putting it on an exchange.  It's nothing more than a movement of wealth to the original adopters (sometimes involving a pre-mine) from whoever decided not to cash out.

Surely MegaCoin and TAGcoin are good investments?

lulz
rampalija

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:43:56 AM

yes i agree, Like if you invest in CGB now

zeraTunerse

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:08:58 AM

So you have to be good daytrader. If your not and hope some altcoin will have future use, it is big gamble and very likely you will end with nothing
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:12:17 AM

So you have to be good daytrader. If your not and hope some altcoin will have future use, it is big gamble and very likely you will end with nothing
Yes, pretty much spot on.
bitwizard

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:38:36 AM

Alt coins have kept my GPU's relevant.  Mostly LTC.  I think their speed offers a better way to move money/coins.  It only take 20-30 minutes for my LTC to get around, but my BTC takes a solid hour or longer for 6 confirmations.  Other than speed though,  BTC has the obvious edge.
tearfereon

Activity: 138

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 09:48:55 AM

It only take 20-30 minutes for my LTC to get around, but my BTC takes a solid hour or longer for 6 confirmations.  Other than speed though,  BTC has the obvious edge.

All you need is 1 confirmation to be reasonably sure, 2 confirmations almost sure thing. The 6 confirmations is just unnecessary too much. Only once I saw 10+ confirmations to be orphaned when the blockchain splits between 8.x and 7.x versions
bitnpieces

Activity: 22

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 10:12:34 AM

Thanks for the advice in this thread,

I had started looking into various alt coins and it was getting a bit overwhelming so I think I'll divert my efforts into some more trustworthy idea.
waltermot321

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 10:26:23 AM

Everyone that tell you to stay away from alt-coin is a lie... they are secretly buying them.....

pliznau

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 11:02:57 AM

don`t stay away from alt-coins! just be carefull! if everybody is going to stay away from alt-coins then we shall have only bitcoin and that`s it! for a decentralized monetary sistem it can`t be just 1 or 2 crypto currencys

void
SquallLeonhart
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1101

"CoinPoker.com"

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 12:42:34 PM

I would suggest investing in some of the Altcoins since Bitcoin has already went up so much..

Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 12:47:21 PM

I would only bother with these two..

Bitcoin (SHA256) can only be mined profitably on custom ASIC hardware (the Elites choice, and centralizing fast!)

and

LiteCoin (Scrypt) can still be mined on PCs (still the peoples printing press, and likely most decentralized)

Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 12:50:28 PM

No offense, but the day that people started the ASICs arms race and killed GPUs for bitcoin mining, they fell from the top of their high horse. Yes, some alts are shitcoins, but you actually lost reason to complain when you pre-ordered your BFL or KnC.

Now, we agree that most alt-coins will not survive and people holding them for months, will become empty handed. However mining them and trading for BTC up to a week after being mined, is what was left for small/casual miners.

Further, people complain about wasting power with GPUs. Do you have an idea how much water, power, chemicals, capital, human work, etc... is wasted on making chips and bitcoin mining rigs that are not useful for anything else?

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
ajax3592

Activity: 210

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:28:40 PM

How about buying 40 litecoins right now for $150 ? Is there hope for its price to double in next year, what do you guys think

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
CoinBand

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 01:59:11 PM

Agreed, most of other currencies will fail eventualy. Bitcoin is good enough. Most of people will stick with mainstream currency, most sellers will support bitcoin and will not implement something else. All media knows bitcoin as crypto currency and no other.
mishax1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 03:10:54 PM

I actually don't see bitcoin fully usable by the public.. same for the alts of course.

Mastercoin's project actually looks very promising, and to think I sold 2/3 of my coins like an idiot..
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: