Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:21:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to ask for help with troubled GPU's Rig (Guide)  (Read 267 times)
Geraldo (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 07:13:49 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2018, 12:23:24 PM by Geraldo
Merited by CryptoWatcher420 (5), BitcoinSupremo (1), Elder III (1), puwaha (1), beachbummer (1)

I often find OP ask for help with troubled GPU's Rig with a bit info they gave. Just tried to make it clear, that kind of post won't help.

Applies to anyone asking about troubled GPU's Rig and tried to find the solutions.

First, we're not a mutant with mind-reading ability, and we can't read your minds.

Second, Troubleshoot isn't simple. Not so simple while you hit Enter with your foot finger.

...and many more reasons.

So, please describe to us your problems as clearly as possible.

Describing your devices and software, including:
  • GPUs (including Series, Type, Brands, Memory sizes, Memory type, everything that you know about)
  • Motherboard (including Series, Type, and everything that you know about)
  • PSUs (including Series, Type, Brands, Wattage, etc.)
  • Processor (including Series, Type, etc.)
  • RAM/Memory (Including Sizes and everything that you know about)
  • Storage Drive (Including type and whatever that you want to tell us)
  • Risers (whatever, as clear as possible)
  • Operating Systems you are using.
  • GPUs driver you are using in the current situation.
  • Overclocking Utility software (Including setting you are using)

Some people assume this info above isn't needed, but I can say for sure, it's essential things.

Describing your problems, including:
  • Your act that was causing this trouble, in other words, what you are doing with your Rig before you get in trouble. (If this trouble suspected caused by your act before)
  • If this trouble comes itself, just describe to us as clearly as possible.
  • What have you tried to do to fix that problem? Tell us as clearly as possible.
  • Add pictures when possible.

Don't forget to Say thanks, when solved and lock the thread after.

Additional tips: If possible, provide testing tools needed and also devices spare (PSUs, RAM, Storage drive, even mouse, and keyboard).

Maybe someone wants to add more info required, go ahead. It now seems enough.

If it's a duplicate post, I'm sorry! Just tried to make this forum better. Let's start with little things, if you don't care, Ciao Adios!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 07:39:27 PM

Good post; hopefully a few people will read it before we have another "why no work mining? where lambo?" post.....
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 08:48:11 PM

Nice post! Smiley

Would Merit if had any Tongue

BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 529

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 09:43:39 PM

I gave you a merit for this good post. A lot of times some OP do not include the problem in detail and usually threads asking for help become longer and longer without reason as we that try to help ask them what is this and what is that in order to check where the problem might be. I think this post can be made sticky now that many newbies are coming in altcoin mining gpu rigs without knowing what they are really doing.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 03:44:37 AM

I will add to this.  If you are mining, get a power supply tester.  They are cheap and are available on Newegg and Amazon.  You will save so much time if you have to troubleshoot your system if you have one of these.  Also, if you have multiple mining rigs, consider having a spare power supply in case one shits the bed.  Having one on standby means significantly less downtime if there is a failure, unless of course you live near a computer store.
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 05:59:02 AM

nice post, dude.

+ a picture as long as can add.to make it easier to detect problems and solve them. because of describing a problem with a picture is better. and a bit suggest, if a problem was solved, better op(who has a problem) saying thank's and lock a topic its.

Geraldo (OP)

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 06:11:30 AM

Good post; hopefully a few people will read it before we have another "why no work mining? where lambo?" post.....

Thank's...when moon?  Grin

Nice post! Smiley

Would Merit if had any Tongue

Just send me BTC, it's more than enough.  Cheesy

I gave you a merit for this good post. A lot of times some OP do not include the problem in detail and usually threads asking for help become longer and longer without reason as we that try to help ask them what is this and what is that in order to check where the problem might be. I think this post can be made sticky now that many newbies are coming in altcoin mining gpu rigs without knowing what they are really doing.

Yeah, that's what I feel. Tried to help, but finally, I become the one who asked. It's silly.

I will add to this.  If you are mining, get a power supply tester.  They are cheap and are available on Newegg and Amazon.  You will save so much time if you have to troubleshoot your system if you have one of these.  Also, if you have multiple mining rigs, consider having a spare power supply in case one shits the bed.  Having one on standby means significantly less downtime if there is a failure, unless of course you live near a computer store.

Yeah, Testing tools needed and also devices spare (PSUs, RAM, Storage drive, even mouse, and keyboard). Nice, thanks.

nice post, dude.

+ a picture as long as can add.to make it easier to detect problems and solve them. because of describing a problem with a picture is better. and a bit suggest, if a problem was solved, better op(who has a problem) saying thank's and lock a topic its.

Good adding will add it to OP. Thanks!

edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 07:59:25 AM

nice post, dude.

Good adding will add it to OP. Thanks!

welcome

chandrarahmadewa

Activity: 308
Merit: 49

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 02:24:33 PM

This is a good post Geraldo.
First, we're not a mutant with mind-reading ability, and we can't read your minds.

Second, Troubleshoot isn't simple. Not so simple while you hit Enter with your foot finger.

...and many more reasons.

So, please describe to us your problems as clearly as possible.
I like helping people if he has problems with his mining tools. They never really explain the problem, sometimes I conjecture, what the source of the problem is. I feel disappointed because I can not help them
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 07:55:46 PM

Yep, this is excellent advice. Many of the higher end EVGA PSUs that are popular with miners actually come with a power supply tester, which is handy if you don't already have that kind of gear on hand. Right now we're up to ~15 rigs so we try to keep at least one spare part of every kind on hand since minimizing downtime is essential (especially in times of reduced profitability).
joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
March 25, 2018, 08:18:58 PM

I feel it!

This seems more aimed at HW troubleshooting but it also applies to SW. I would add that console sessions
with command line parameters for compile errors and run time error messages is also required.

Something that shouldn't have to be said is where the code was obtained. I got a few complaints of
compile errors that turned out to be from someone else's fork.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
Geraldo (OP)

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 04:17:54 AM

Thank you, everyone.
I saw today a few OP with troubled Rig giving full info.
Not because of this thread, I believe it. But I'm glad about this progress.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: