Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:50:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wouldn't all the bitcoin eventually become unreachable  (Read 1522 times)
voorash (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 09:14:51 PM

I was thinking about this today and would like some others thoughts on the matter. 

Let's say I buy myself 1 BTC and am oh so happy with myself.  I send this BTC to a newly created wallet and promptly lose the key in some sort of horrible and irretrievable fashion.  Over time wouldn't events such as this lead to the majority of bitcoins being effectively taken out of circulation.  What made me think of this was the news story about the guy that bought 27 dollars worth of bitcoin and forgot about it.  He was able to remember his password but had he failed that would have been five thousand coins forever removed from circulation.

"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
asc366

Activity: 36

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 09:21:03 PM

This is a very "real" fear and there are many cases already with this like the one posted 15 mins ago at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=321054

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FAQ#Won.27t_loss_of_wallets_and_the_finite_amount_of_Bitcoins_create_excessive_deflation.2C_destroying_Bitcoin.3F describes this as well:

Also, Bitcoin users are faced with a danger that doesn't threaten users of any other currency: if a Bitcoin user loses his wallet, his money is gone forever, unless he finds it again. And not just to him; it's gone completely out of circulation, rendered utterly inaccessible to anyone. As people will lose their wallets, the total number of Bitcoins will slowly decrease.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 09:29:36 PM

This has been brought up countless times.

This is a very "real" fear and there are many cases already with this like the one posted 15 mins ago at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=321054

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FAQ#Won.27t_loss_of_wallets_and_the_finite_amount_of_Bitcoins_create_excessive_deflation.2C_destroying_Bitcoin.3F describes this as well:

Also, Bitcoin users are faced with a danger that doesn't threaten users of any other currency: if a Bitcoin user loses his wallet, his money is gone forever, unless he finds it again. And not just to him; it's gone completely out of circulation, rendered utterly inaccessible to anyone. As people will lose their wallets, the total number of Bitcoins will slowly decrease.

I wonder why you didn't quote this part:

In fact, infinite divisibility should allow Bitcoins to function in cases of extreme wallet loss. Even if, in the far future, so many people have lost their wallets that only a single Bitcoin, or a fraction of one, remains, Bitcoin should continue to function just fine. No one can claim to be sure what is going to happen, but deflation may prove to present a smaller threat than many expect.

Still around.
asc366

Activity: 36

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 09:31:40 PM

Because the part from the FAQ I just pasted confirms the actual question the OP posted, I guess. But your addition is interesting as well of course.
voorash (OP)

Activity: 19

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:43:12 AM

Thanks, the FAQ helped as I hadn't noticed before that a btc could be broken down to a smaller increment than a satoshi.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:46:38 AM

Because the part from the FAQ I just pasted confirms the actual question the OP posted, I guess. But your addition is interesting as well of course.

Yes, you confirmed the question, but questions are usually after answers, which is what edd provided.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:55:05 AM

This could be considered one of bitcoin negatives as they are destructible in a sense.  However at a certain far of point in the future you can always attempt to brute force the private key so they aren't forever lost.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:57:32 AM

This could be considered one of bitcoin negatives as they are destructible in a sense.  However at a certain far of point in the future you can always attempt to brute force the private key so they aren't forever lost.

If a weakness is found in ecdsa, you still need the public key, which is only known if coins have been spent from that address before.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
SquallLeonhart
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1101

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 04:27:45 AM

If everyone lost their wallet then yes, people always be extra careful when it comes to money so I would say only 1-2% lost in this way....
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 11:54:04 AM

In the "Distribution of wealth by owner" thread, it has been determined that there are about 11.5M coins in circulation (of 11.9M showing on Bitcoin Charts) meaning that about 4% of coins are lost.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
bits4books

Activity: 854
Merit: 264

Crypto is not a religion but i like it

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 08:56:01 AM

If everyone lost their wallet then yes, people always be extra careful when it comes to money so I would say only 1-2% lost in this way....

Everyone has to die someday..and they sure as hell won't know how to get in my wallet..
BitchicksHusband

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 10:12:28 AM

Everyone has to die someday..and they sure as hell won't know how to get in my wallet..

And conversely, I trust my kids enough to have shown them how to get into ours in case of a horrible accident.

Unluckyduck

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 10:39:31 AM

The more that people lose the higher in value everyone elses gets. Providing everyone doesn't lose their wallet that is.  Roll Eyes
nerFohanzo

Activity: 631
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 10:43:00 AM

In the "Distribution of wealth by owner" thread, it has been determined that there are about 11.5M coins in circulation (of 11.9M showing on Bitcoin Charts) meaning that about 4% of coins are lost.

But how can you say if the Bitcoins are lost or just stored in cold paper wallet  Huh
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 06:05:31 PM

But how can you say if the Bitcoins are lost or just stored in cold paper wallet  Huh

You can't, which makes these types of discussions moot.

Still around.
BitchicksHusband

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 08:33:49 PM

Someone compiled a list of people on the internet saying they lost their coins and how many coins.  So this is verified losses.  The actual number is probably at least double that, given most people don't want to look like an idiot on the internet.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: