Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:59:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two questions about how bitcoin processes transactions and the block chain.  (Read 477 times)
Slight0 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 01:45:12 AM

I originally came to know bitcoin in 2011, did some basic mining, and eventually deemed it not worth my time and thought of it as a sort of internet fad. I now realize I was really just sowing the seeds of regret. Anyway, I did some more research into the technical aspects (though I didn't read the author's full papers) and was hoping someone could clear up some things.

For one, if transactions are processed and confirmed in new blocks that are mined, then what happens when new blocks become scare and are mined very slowly at the rate of say 1 block per day for the whole network? Bitcoins are finite so doesn't that mean that new blocks are finite and thus new transactions will be slowed to a craw? I feel like I'm mistaken here, so what will really happen to the way miners process transactions when bitcoins/new blocks become scarce?

Secondly, if every node has to download the entire block chain which is a history of all transactions, won't the block chain quickly become extremely large and force normal PC's out of the network due to hardware requirements?

Thanks for any info.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 02:04:06 AM

For one, if transactions are processed and confirmed in new blocks that are mined, then what happens when new blocks become scare and are mined very slowly at the rate of say 1 block per day for the whole network? Bitcoins are finite so doesn't that mean that new blocks are finite and thus new transactions will be slowed to a craw?
No. Blocks are, and always will be, mined at a rate of 6 per hour (on average). The mining difficulty is adjusted every two weeks to ensure this is the case even with increases (or decreases) in mining power. The number of bitcoins per block is what decreases to ensure the money supply is finite, not the number of blocks. Eventually, the number of new bitcoins per block will reduce to zero, and no more bitcoins will ever be produced, however blocks will still be mined because miners also receive transaction fees. Currently transaction fees are negligible, however that will change as transaction volume increases.

Secondly, if every node has to download the entire block chain which is a history of all transactions, won't the block chain quickly become extremely large and force normal PC's out of the network due to hardware requirements?
Every full node has to download the entire blockchain. Not everyone has to run a full node, and in fact, most ordinary users shouldn't. In any case, hard disks are cheap and are only going to get cheaper.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: