Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 07:14:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you mean by HODL?  (Read 1061 times)
Miles123

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 11:11:26 AM

Yes, it means to hold for a little bit longer so that you can get a higher profit. They use that because accidentally it was misspelled or they are wrong when typing. But the important we really understand why it is needed to hold.
youngmobi

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 12:14:22 PM

HODL is still thesame thing as HOLD and it simple means a process in which you buy a coin and then decide not to sell it to keep it for some time to get more profit from the projects.
gune68gune

Activity: 181

View Profile
July 17, 2018, 12:31:06 PM

Can anyone clarify what this term means? I was wondering if it should really be spelt as "HOLD" or the meaning of "HODL" is really crypto-related. I already tried searching threads that explain this but was unsuccessful. I was very curious since I began reading discussions in bitcointalk and I usually see this term but I just understand it to mean 'hold' which means don't sell yet your coins. Please correct my misunderstanding if any. Thanks for your time.
Hold is a familiar term in crypto, which means a decision not to sell coins or tokens and store them until the time limit specified by the holder. Holding a potential coin in the long run is more likely to gain high profits.
KpopLord

Activity: 98
Merit: 6

View Profile
July 25, 2018, 12:08:42 PM

The word "HODL" was originally derived from the story https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=375643.0 you can check it and read his story. It becomes popular because of the post that many people made it for fun. a simple story beyond the word HODL. There are things that accidentally happened that will be more memorable to other people in the way that they used it as a definition for a certain situation or event.
kenborbs

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

The revolutionary AI gaming ecosystem

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2018, 07:52:26 AM

Can anyone clarify what this term means? I was wondering if it should really be spelt as "HOLD" or the meaning of "HODL" is really crypto-related. I already tried searching threads that explain this but was unsuccessful. I was very curious since I began reading discussions in bitcointalk and I usually see this term but I just understand it to mean 'hold' which means don't sell yet your coins. Please correct my misunderstanding if any. Thanks for your time.

HODL = HOLD are just have the same meaning but different spelling/term with a twist on its spelling. We can't blame people in creating new terms/words because they are fun of it and wants to isolate its word/meaning in cryptocurrency world but sometimes it was being created accidentally and other people think that is a new derivation from other field.

|█ ▌     BGX.AI     ▐ █|
A DECENTRALIZED FINANCIAL PLATFORM FOR THE MOBILE GAMES INDUSTRY
|▌PRE-SALE STARTS : MAY 8, 2018▐|
chidiarua

Activity: 102

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2018, 09:02:46 AM

HODL was originally a typo of HOLD. It became popular in the crypto space. But some persons, with great sense of humor, have come to give its meaning to be 'Hold For Dear Life.' Which is basically telling you to hold your coins for long term.
Runtown042

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 09:06:01 AM

A fancy way of say hold
totoy4741

Activity: 882
Merit: 13

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 09:09:05 AM

HODL as far as i know is Hold On to Dear Life which mean I guess is to hold on to the coins you hold no matter what or no matter what the price may go (down). Keep on believing on it, till then price rises up and gain profit.
ElizaZX

Activity: 378

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 09:09:43 AM

HODL this is HOLD, only with a humorous overtones. Perhaps you already saw a lot of gif formats or videos, where crypto-enthusiasts ridicule exchanges and trade. They prefer to keep coins in their own hands, believing that in tens of years they will cost millions.
Xxmodded

Activity: 2282
Merit: 309

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 09:10:54 AM

of course you must have knowledge and broad insight, the meaning of the hold is to hold crypto you have. but basically you have to involve the knowledge and research that is going on. this is to strengthen your assumptions to hold it until it's time to sell.

B.I.O.K.R.I.P.T|
  BiokriptX Fair Launch is now live in PINKSALE
|🟣 Twitter
🔵 Facebook
🟣 Telegram
turkmachiavelli

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 09:18:26 AM

It is a very simple complication to solve. We can say that hodl and hold are same things that figure ıt about same thing. Problem is solved bro.

sabtu malam

Activity: 180

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2018, 09:19:58 AM

hodl is a way to save coins or restrain not to sell it in the market. in fact, hodl it is also a way that we can be more patient. Wait for the coin will hit the target. And then can we sell comply with the targets.
ashlyvash00

Activity: 434
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 09:24:19 AM

Hodl or hold are usually use a long term investment. Hold mean you holding a cryptocurrency and wait it till it pump or give a good price. But many holders they hold thier currency almost 1 year or more
raahi

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:11:42 AM

There are two ways you can invest in  the cryptocurrency market, one is that you purchase a coin and immediately trade it in value as soon as it reaches your profit requirements on a short-term, if you keep with the coin for a long-term for greater profit then that is called holding
JaoBadjap

Activity: 532
Merit: 132

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2018, 11:26:36 AM

the Essence of HODL and HOLD is pretty much the same.
but if anyone, ever mentioned it. like in this forum
it really means holding on crypto.
i pretty think that HODL really means holding and this term is used only related to the crypto
santouao

Activity: 560
Merit: 101

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 11:37:53 AM

Based on trivia I Iearned in some crypto meetups, some crypto enthusiasts says that theres a famous druken trader that says HODL long ago and they say that is the reason why traders say HODL when they are keeping their crypto asset for few months or years.

╓                                        SWG.io  ⁞ Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.14                                        ╖
║     〘 Available On Binance Square 〙•〘 ◊ ICOHOLDER ⁞ 4.45 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙     ║
╙           ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY  NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹           ╜
[/center]
HoundRogerson

Activity: 226
Merit: 10

🤖UBEX.COM 🤖

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 12:17:50 PM

I mean buying it and keeping a coin for a year or more. Although I've seen people who think that it's enough to store a few months and it's already "HODL"

▓▓▓█████████████████████████████░░          UBEX          ░░█████████████████████████████▓▓▓
▓██████████████████░░          Global Decentralized Advertising Exchange          ░░██████████████████▓
▓███░   • Telegram  • Facebook  • ANN Thread  • Youtube  • LinkedIn  • Twitter • Medium  • Reddit  • Github   ░███▓
xPotato_02

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 12:37:56 PM

That word came from over hype guy at this forum i guess. And everyone else start using that word to replace HOLD. kinda funny though.
Glad someone knows. It originated from kyuubi a member here in bitcointalk where he posted while drunk. Spelled hold as hodl and everyone started making fun of it
Isabella.21joy

Activity: 72

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 12:48:12 PM

Hodl is same as hold it means hold the coin for long term. May be in starting it was typo error but later it is meant to be hold for dear life hodl..
fokinflor

Activity: 116
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 12:54:02 PM

It is just the normal English term "hold" and it became a crypto trend to call it as "hodl" instead of "hold". Basically, It means any coin that your purchased should not be sold until it attains a x25 or x50 in value. This strategy is termed as hodl.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: