Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:20:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitpay just processed its first 1,000,000 USD order, Dump incoming?  (Read 5478 times)
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 05:56:24 PM
Last edit: October 29, 2013, 06:07:03 PM by johnyj

Bitstamp just had a 5k buy and price rose by $2

Count by the number of monarch, that is about 128T hash power, about 3% of today's network hash power, but might drop dramatically when it delivered

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 06:02:58 PM

Seeing as how the transaction was settled before the 3 day old press release, I wouldn't count on a dump.

China will devour those coins before tea time, then be ready for more.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
uhoh

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 06:56:16 PM

Bitstamp just had a 5k buy and price rose by $2

Count by the number of monarch, that is about 128T hash power, about 3% of today's network hash power, but might drop dramatically when it if delivered

Joking aside, this is one order that BFL will deliver, at the expense of people earlier in the queue no doubt
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:06:46 PM

I'd bet it never really touched BTC at all.

Chances are a new investor wanted to get into mining and had $1m. They wanted to order from BFL but have to pay in BTC. So Bitpay 'sell' the BTC to the customer, pass it to BFL who sell it back into USD via Bitpay (can't pay the real bills with BTC).

Net result, no external trades, no risk and lots of great PR all-round.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'd put this at 60% likelihood..

I am a conspiracy theorist and I proclaim this scheme to be a rational idea which might very well have been implemented by the involved parties.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
rampalija

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:08:00 PM

Chances are a new investor wanted to get into mining and had $1m. They wanted to order from BFL but have to pay in BTC. So Bitpay 'sell' the BTC to the customer, pass it to BFL who sell it back into USD via Bitpay (can't pay the real bills with BTC).

I am a conspiracy theorist and I proclaim this scheme to be a rational idea which might very well have been implemented by the involved parties.

agree with you but maybe there will be some changes

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 07:13:03 PM

I think it gr8 that bitpay did 1million in 1 order

i'd like to see  more high volume trading going on, poeple buying house, cars, boats, collectables,  thing of that nature, and price will be affected, in a very positive way

somestranger

Activity: 487

Are You Shpongled?

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 07:16:25 PM

I don't think someone with $1 million to invest would be stupid enough to buy from a long con company like BFL. I think it's more along these lines:

Sounds like bfl just laundered all the coins they mined on everyone's equipment. <takes off tin foil hat>
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 10:21:27 PM

I thought Bitpay insta sells the coins on exchage, how would they know the amount of BTC needed for your order otherwise

They take the risk and take loans.
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:26:47 PM

Well the problem with most "conspiracy theories" is that the conspiracy would be extremely difficult to orchestrate, and the provided explanation is perfectly reasonable.  In this case, the given explanation, that someone purchased $1,000,000 worth of miners from BFL.... in bitcoin as well.... is pretty striking, to say the least.  And the "conspiracy" would have been very simple to orchestrate.
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:30:59 PM

what idiot (besides BFL laundering their own mined coins?) would give bfl a million worth of bitcoins. the stupidest smart person?!?!

ok
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:36:40 PM

Well the problem with most "conspiracy theories" is that the conspiracy would be extremely difficult to orchestrate, and the provided explanation is perfectly reasonable.  In this case, the given explanation, that someone purchased $1,000,000 worth of miners from BFL.... in bitcoin as well.... is pretty striking, to say the least.  And the "conspiracy" would have been very simple to orchestrate.

There is another problem with conspiracies. Many people have been thoroughly trained to apply either/or thinking in all areas of life. Thus some of them find a theory they like, believe 100% every single piece of it and ascribe everything remotely related to the workings of the conspiracy. Others fall prey to what I call the "Great Conspiracy" - the idea that there actually are no conspiracies in this world. They become convinced that every conspiracy theory is 100% false and not worth paying any attention to.

Forming conspiracies (if you're not part of them) or affinity groups (if you are part of them) is "normal mammalian behavior" as Robert Anton Wilson put it. To believe in a single one running world affairs for centuries, or alternatively, believing that no conspiracies exist seems naive to me. The truth, of course, is that at any given moment there are at least 23 major conspiracies trying to claim power over whatever it is  Grin

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 10:47:13 PM

what idiot (besides BFL laundering their own mined coins?) would give bfl a million worth of bitcoins. the stupidest smart person?!?!

It's the collective stupidity of many of their customers.
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 12:01:46 AM

My guess is that a million bucks buys you a spot at the front of the line.
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 12:13:58 AM

in two weeks.........................

ok
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 12:15:54 AM

in two weeks.........................

LOL touché Cheesy
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 12:28:21 AM

I thought Bitpay insta sells the coins on exchage, how would they know the amount of BTC needed for your order otherwise

They take the risk and take loans.

This is a very aggressive move as long as they can get the loan from the banks (Banks have tons of cash currently hoarded at their reserve account). If they absorb all the coins then the market will run out of coins and the price will rise quickly, and then they could release the coins slowly at a later time. One year's return on coin's appreciation will bypass their operating margin for several magnitudes

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 12:37:05 AM

I'm sure future customers looking to use bitcoin and bitpay would be very pleased that as soon as they start transacting moderate amounts of money they'll be outed on web sites.  You wouldn't see a bank behaving like that.
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 01:09:13 AM

I'm sure future customers looking to use bitcoin and bitpay would be very pleased that as soon as they start transacting moderate amounts of money they'll be outed on web sites.  You wouldn't see a bank behaving like that.

?

LOL if you think this wasn't a coordinated partnership thing between Bitpay and BFL.  I thought this was common sense.
BitcoinHeroes

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 01:36:19 AM

Might dump in few transaction over the few weeks, so if you think this has big impact then sell first and buy later Smiley
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:36:50 AM

Might dump in few transaction over the few weeks, so if you think this has big impact then sell first and buy later Smiley

This interview today with Galllipi confirms that the BTC has already been absorbed via a combination of private sales and exchange transactions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdV48a-Ay2k

Those hoping for a decline based on this news, will be waiting a long time.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: