Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:25:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A good surge protector over to 2000w?  (Read 180 times)
sebas1382000 (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 07:15:19 PM

Hi, I'm looking to buy a good surge protector. I'm looking for something that supports at least about 2000w.

If anyone knows a trustworthy model, I would appreciate it Smiley
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2018, 08:23:57 PM

Use any WHOLE HOUSE SURGE PROTECTOR
Pretty easy to install, but you need some basic skill Smiley and some safety information about how to deal with electricity Wink

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
madnessteat
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 2000

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 08:26:23 PM

Hi, I'm looking to buy a good surge protector. I'm looking for something that supports at least about 2000w.

A huge number of them. You can even buy an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). I advise you to choose from quite well-known brands such as AEG, APC.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
whoismoses

Activity: 247
Merit: 59

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:15:32 PM

A huge number of them. You can even buy an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). I advise you to choose from quite well-known brands such as AEG, APC.

Most consumer surge protectors (at least for the US) are not rated for more than 1,800 watts and given the 80% rule it wouldn't really be a good idea to max one out. If you have a lot of mining rigs, it is not really need to use UPS devices as you will likely never break even on them unless you have power outages all the time. The only UPS devices that handle 2000 watts require 30A circuits.

OP - What country are you in and are you looking to hook up multiple rigs to a single power strip or a single rig consuming 2000w?

Also - You can't 100% rely on a whole house surge protector. They work, I have one... but if a device on a circuit causes a surge it can impact other devices on the same circuit as the surge doesn't get shunted before it gets to the panel.

240v - If you are in the US and running 240v... you will need to find 240v power strips. For example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZDTGJ6 . <---- Only rated for 1250W...

Lastly - An important thing most people don't know about surge protectors... they loose their ability to protect over time as they protect you from surges and you don't really know it. So it is best to replace them ever few years...
sebas1382000 (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:21:07 PM

Most consumer surge protectors (at least for the US) are not rated for more than 1,800 watts and given the 80% rule it wouldn't really be a good idea to max one out. If you have a lot of mining rigs, it is not really need to use UPS devices as you will likely never break even on them unless you have power outages all the time. The only UPS devices that handle 2000 watts require 30A circuits.

OP - What country are you in and are you looking to hook up multiple rigs to a single power strip or a single rig consuming 2000w?

Also - You can't 100% rely on a whole house surge protector. They work, I have one... but if a device on a circuit causes a surge it can impact other devices on the same circuit as the surge doesn't get shunted before it gets to the panel.

240v - If you are in the US and running 240v... you will need to find 240v power strips. For example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZDTGJ6

Lastly - An important thing most people don't know about surge protectors... they loose their ability to protect over time as they protect you from surges and you don't really know it. So it is best to replace them ever few years...

I hired an electrician, and installed 220 cables with 100A capacity
whoismoses

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:37:39 PM

What country are you in? Normally here in the US to do that you would do 3x 30A 240V lines... but that is only 90A...
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 11:42:08 PM

Do not buy cheap knockoff brands for power-related components.  You will come to regret it at some point.  The name brand stuff is always better and you will be able to get support. 
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 11:50:32 PM

Once you get to the 2000w range you may be better off looking for PDUs rather then surge protectors. As was mentioned already most surge protectors you find for common usage are rated for 1800w or less, and in our experience most of those rated for 1800w can't handle much over 12-1400 watt without starting to trip on you within a few weeks.
sebas1382000 (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 11:58:23 PM

I bought this model

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-BE108230-12/

What do you think guys?
Elder III

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 12:06:31 AM

I bought this model

What do you think guys?

I think it will crap out on you if you run more then ~1200 watts on it.  We had a couple different Belkin models with the same specs that didn't last a month.

These ones are the best we found (we have 6 of them running, some for over a year of constant ~1400-1600 watts around the clock). - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812120193
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2018, 12:53:06 PM

I bought this model

What do you think guys?

So you have 220Volts/100amp and you ordered a Surge protector with 15A/125V/1875W AC Rating Huh?

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
whoismoses

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 03:06:06 PM

Given what he bought he is likely in the US. That said... I’m not sure an electrician would run a 220 100a line and say here you go and connect it to a standard receptacle.

OP, do you have pictures so we can figure out what you really have?

Did you just actually get a 100a sub-panel?
sebas1382000 (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 05:40:18 PM

I just reviewed it well, and it does not help me for what I want ....

Can I use an air conditioning protector for a rig?
Elder III

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 09:39:00 PM

What are the specifications of the rig or rigs that you have and how much power do they draw at the wall? Also, what kind of receptacles do you have available for mining?
sundownz

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2018, 11:15:13 PM

I have been using these :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K1YG0A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rated for 20-amps (2400-watts on 120v).

I am running right at 2000-watts on each one that I have. No issues.

They do require a 20-amp wall outlet... they have the 20-amp rated "sideways prong" plugs on them.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: