Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:54:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mixing multiple randomness sources  (Read 409 times)
blub (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 09:17:23 PM

If I have multiple sources of randomness, is there a way combining them with the result beeing no weaker than the best initial randomness source?

Naively I would say Xor all of them would quite do the trick, but I am no expert in cryptography and might miss something important

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2013, 12:08:53 AM

This was covered in a thead a while back.  I will try to find the thread to be sure but from personal knowlege and from my memory of the thread the best way was:

1) Concatenate all of the sources of entropy into one big string.  In other words just go get all of the entropy you can find and put it in one long array/file.

2) Calculate the secure hash of the entire file/array, for example SHA256 if you need a 256 bit random number/seed/nonce.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: