Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:37:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin QT upstarted after a couple of weeks, - Complete wallet UNCONFIRMED  (Read 903 times)
naitwit (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:00:04 PM

Seem to have lost ALL confirmations in my wallet since last time I was online.
Wallet show 0.0 BTC  and x amount of unconfirmed.
There is a message "Warning some transactions might not be correct,you might need to upgrade, or other nodes might need upgrading"
Wallet current connected to 8 connections but there is no syncronizing going on.

Ever seen this What to do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lepirate

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

Garbochock

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:20:32 PM

Do you use a old version?
naitwit (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:25:06 PM

No a couple of weeks I upgraded to 0.8.5-beta got it syncronized. But its all gone now. And it does not seem to move at all. Not one single coin is confirmed, although
they were last time i closed the client.
lepirate

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

Garbochock

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:29:36 PM

No a couple of weeks I upgraded to 0.8.5-beta got it syncronized. But its all gone now. And it does not seem to move at all. Not one single coin is confirmed, although

If you get unsynchronized the client cannot be sure that you still own your bitcoins and therefor has to catch up with the blockchain.
I cannot think of any reasons why it won't update though.
naitwit (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:33:30 PM

If you get unsynchronized the client cannot be sure that you still own your bitcoins and therefor has to catch up with the blockchain.
I cannot think of any reasons why it won't update though.

Sad Well this surely is strange. Ive had it on for an hour now , 8 connections, no activity, and the "warning" as described above. And it also say last "generated block 252 weeks ago" .
But nothing happens. Must be someone out there who have seen this?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:41:06 PM

In your bitcoin data directory, delete the "blocks" and "chainstate" (you can backup before deleting, but there's nothing important there). This will reset all downloaded blocks and allow bitcoin to redownload the blockchain.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
naitwit (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:43:34 PM

In your bitcoin data directory, delete the "blocks" and "chainstate" (you can backup before deleting, but there's nothing important there). This will reset all downloaded blocks and allow bitcoin to redownload the blockchain.

Will try and come back with result , thanks
Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:48:27 PM

Does the -reindex command still work? I believe that used to do it for you.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
naitwit (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:51:35 PM

Does the -reindex command still work? I believe that used to do it for you.

I do not know what that is.....
naitwit (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 10:58:54 PM

Ok its working on syncronizing now. When I have you "online" i might ask you another q.

My own wallets saldo has never been the same as the saldo on my address on  "blockchaininfo", how is this possible?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 12:25:40 AM

My own wallets saldo has never been the same as the saldo on my address on  "blockchaininfo", how is this possible?
this sentence is impossible to parse.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 01:28:27 AM

Spanish.
saldo=balance

Translation:
My own wallet's balance has never been the same as the balance on my address at  "blockchain.info", how is this possible?

Answer:
Change
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change
naitwit (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 11:01:18 AM

Smiley sorry, balance , and thanks for your help. Syncronizing coming in fine 12 hours soon and almost done
naitwit (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 11:03:31 AM

Spanish.
saldo=balance

Translation:
My own wallet's balance has never been the same as the balance on my address at  "blockchain.info", how is this possible?

Answer:
Change
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change

Thanks Danny,

I think I understand now. The Blockchain apparently show my BTC less all fees paid over the years, if I undertand correctly.

Anyway all is fine again, the initial shock is gone Smiley
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 01:36:17 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2013, 02:53:05 PM by DannyHamilton

I think I understand now. The Blockchain apparently show my BTC less all fees paid over the years, if I undertand correctly.

No.  Not fees, change.

If you go to a store and pull a 20 banknote out of your pocket to pay for something that costs 5, you can't just rip the banknote into fourths.  You have to give the store the entire 20 banknote.  Then the store gives you back 15 as change.

When you spend bitcoins, the bitcoins that you have previously received in a single transaction output  can be thought of as a single unit.  You can't break it up and spend just part of it.  If you are going to use any part of a previous transaction output that you've received to fund the input side of a transaction that you are creating, then you have to spend the entire output.

So if you received 1.43 BTC in a single transaction output previously, and you are using that output to pay for something that costs 0.25 BTC, your wallet creates a transaction that spends the entire 1.43 BTC.  It creates a new output of 0.25 BTC to whatever address you are paying.  This leaves 1.18 BTC still being spent in the transaction. If your wallet did nothing else, then this excess 1.18 BTC would be considered "transaction fees" and the miner (or mining pool) that adds your transaction to the block chain would get to keep it.  What happens instead is that the wallet creates a second new output from the transaction, sending the 1.18 BTC to a brand new address that your wallet creates for you.  Since you didn't choose to create this address with the "New Address" button, the wallet doesn't show this address in the "Receive" section.  It hides the new address from you, but it keeps track of it in the wallet.dat file.  This way, the wallet knows exactly how much total BTC you have control over including addresses that you didn't create, but it created for you.  So there are a bunch of bitcoin addresses (one for every transaction that you've sent) which you don't ever see that are yours and that are included in your wallet balance.  The wallet handles the technical details of keeping track of the balances of these addresses and of spending their outputs when necessary.

If you really want to see the complete list of all addresses with bitcoin balances that your wallet is tracking for you, you can go to the "Console" in the "Debug Window" of the "Help" menu.

Enter the following command:
listunspent

You'll receive a list of every unspent output that your wallet has control over.  Each of these are a single unit like a coin or banknote.  They have a value, indicated with the label "amount". You can see the address that received each output indicated with the label "address".  Add up the amounts of all the outputs, and you should find that the sum is equivalent to the total balance displayed by your wallet.
naitwit (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:46:11 PM

No.  Not fees, change.

If you go to a store and pull a 20 banknote out of your pocket to pay for something that costs 5, you can't just rip the banknote into fourths.  You have to give the store the entire 20 banknote.  Then the store gives you back 15 as change.

When you spend bitcoins, the bitcoins that you have previously received in a single transaction output  can be thought of as a single unit.  You can't break it up and spend just part of it.  If you are going to use any part of a previous transaction output that you've received to fund the input side of a transaction that you are creating, then you have to spend the entire output.

So if you received a 1.43 BTC in a single transaction output previously, and you are using that output to pay for something that costs 0.25 BTC, your wallet creates a transaction that spends the entire 1.43 BTC.  It creates a new output of 0.25 BTC to whatever address you are paying.  This leaves 1.18 BTC still being spent in the transaction. If your wallet did nothing else, then this excess 1.18 BTC would be considered "transaction fees" and the miner (or mining pool) that adds your transaction to the block chain would get to keep it.  What happens instead is that the wallet creates a second new output from the transaction, sending the 1.18 BTC to a brand new address that your wallet creates for you.  Since you didn't choose to create this address with the "New Address" button, the wallet doesn't show this address in the "Receive" section.  It hides the new address from you, but it keeps track of it in the wallet.dat file.  This way, the wallet knows exactly how much total BTC you have control over including addresses that you didn't create, but it created for you.  So there are a bunch of bitcoin addresses (one for every transaction that you've sent) that are yours and that are included in your wallet balance that you don't ever see.  The wallet handles the technical details of keeping track of the balances of these addresses and of spending their outputs when necessary.

If you really want to see the complete list of all addresses with bitcoin balances that your wallet is tracking for you, you can go to the "Console" in the "Debug Window" of the "Help" menu.

Enter the following command:
listunspent

You'll receive a list of every unspent output that your wallet has control over.  Each of these are a single unit like a coin or banknote.  They have a value, indicated with the label "amount". You can see the address that received each output indicated with the label "address".  Add up the amounts of all the outputs, and you should find that the sum is equivalent to the total balance displayed by your wallet.

Ahaaaa.. Smiley Now I get it. Thank you so much. Always better to understand what you do. Right?
Best regards
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: