Bitcoin Forum
September 25, 2018, 04:11:59 AM *
News: ♦♦ New info! Bitcoin Core users absolutely must upgrade to previously-announced 0.16.3 [Torrent]. All Bitcoin users should temporarily trust confirmations slightly less. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk about Privacy  (Read 557 times)
BitCryptex

Activity: 336
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 06:08:43 PM
Merited by Tupsu (1)

Wasn't TunnelBear bought by McAfee recently? I don't think that it will have a positive impact on it. I would recommend TorGuard instead. Their service is fairly good, they even sell pre-flashed routers with software designed for security of your network traffic. Also, it is worth mentioning that they support Lightning Network payments. If someone wants to try Lightning Network then their service is a good choice. Not only you get chance to test Lightning Network, but also you can improve your privacy.

Don't you think that you should mention something about Bitcoin mixers? They are a good choice if someone doesn't want to use any other cryptocurrency.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Einax Airdrops and Bounties made easy! List your ERC-20 token
FREE
ETH markets launching soon!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
beuvtiled

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 07:40:20 PM

Does it really help if I use incognito mode in my browser?
BitCryptex

Activity: 336
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 07:51:08 PM

Not really. The only thing that incognito mode does is forcing browser not to save anything that you are doing at the moment (cookies, history etc.) beside downloaded files, of course. Your ISP can still identify you and see what you are browsing. Try Tor browser, it might be slow but that's because of how it works.
beuvtiled

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 08:35:09 PM

Not really. The only thing that incognito mode does is forcing browser not to save anything that you are doing at the moment (cookies, history etc.) beside downloaded files, of course. Your ISP can still identify you and see what you are browsing. Try Tor browser, it might be slow but that's because of how it works.

Ok, thank you!

I would also recommend all to delete their Facebook accounts. This company is irresponsible, and we can't count on them in the matter of privacy.
Dewin Ayuu

Activity: 43

View Profile
April 20, 2018, 04:29:17 PM

Am using chrome and am not having any problems. But for your own good don't allowed any website to save your password for you so that you can easily open your account when you want to. Is not safe someone may get access to your phone or computer. In order to be safe keep your password to yourself because is your privacy not publicly.
bitmover

Activity: 238
Merit: 412

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 07:01:09 PM

Wasn't TunnelBear bought by McAfee recently? I don't think that it will have a positive impact on it. I would recommend TorGuard instead. Their service is fairly good, they even sell pre-flashed routers with software designed for security of your network traffic. Also, it is worth mentioning that they support Lightning Network payments. If someone wants to try Lightning Network then their service is a good choice. Not only you get chance to test Lightning Network, but also you can improve your privacy.

I wasn't aware of that, that TunnelBear was both by mcafee company.
But it's important to know that John Mcafee sold this company, which holds only his name.

Don't you think that you should mention something about Bitcoin mixers? They are a good choice if someone doesn't want to use any other cryptocurrency.

I like the idea of Bitcoin mixers. I need to study about them. This is probably become another post.

Am using chrome and am not having any problems. But for your own good don't allowed any website to save your password for you so that you can easily open your account when you want to. Is not safe someone may get access to your phone or computer. In order to be safe keep your password to yourself because is your privacy not publicly.

THe problem with google products is privacy related, not security related. Your passwords are somehow safe.
They will collect your personal data (like e-mail content, searches) and sell to another companies. If you don't have a problem with that, you can use any google product.

CryptoEnthused

Activity: 198
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 03:40:38 PM

I think VPN with no logs should work better. Either way, ISP will know that you are using VPN or Tor browser. Well, if you use bridge in Tor then it will be hard for ISP to know that you are using Tor. The reason VPN is better most of the times is that VPN is faster. Or if you need total anonymity, you can use Tor via VPN.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1993

Let's make Bitcointalk great again!

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2018, 08:58:08 PM

I think privacy comes apart, when money is involved. I saw this happening on this forum when Ripple was introduced. People only had to link with their Facebook account to get some FREE Ripple in the beginning. This immediately compromised most of these people and their account was linked to their real identity. <if they used their real account, they DOXed themselves>
I missed out on the Ripple giveaway, but I got some Stellar Lumens last year. The trick is to be conscious about your privacy all the time: it was very easy to create a fake Facebook account, you can even use Tor (on the beautiful address facebookcorewwwi.onion). I've tested it, and it worked.
Once you neglect your privacy, it's gone forever. That's why it doesn't hurt to have some accounts without your real name ready, and a spare prepaid phone number for verifications.

After Ripple, we saw a host of Bounties and Coin drops and services where they require your social media accounts and some ICOs even implemented some AML requirements to participate.
KYC and AML kinda comes with running a legit money service (or a fake service pretending to be legit). It's good for crypto to mature, but it's crucial to be critical which companies you want to show your real identity.

Is the few dollars really worth your privacy? Your greed might cost you more, when people use this information to track you or even to link you to your main coin hoard.  Roll Eyes
That will largely depend on the country you live in. Byteball for instance still offers $20 if you register a KYC wallet (link). They use Jumio for verification, which is also used by Bittrex. The beauty of this system is (assuming all involved parties are honest about it!) that only Jumio knows your complete data, and only an encrypted hash is stored in the DAG. That allows you to later on select which private data you want to supply to someone (it could be only your Country, but it can also be your full ID information), after which the receiving party knows for a fact that it's legit, without seeing more than you supplied. I get excited about the possibilities, as it's an ingenious system to verify your identity only once and store a decentralized hash, and I'm blabbering on about it, but my point is: $20 isn't worth it for most people in first world countries. If, however, you live in a country where $20 is a week's salary, it can be very interesting to sell your privacy for money.

Extrago

Activity: 93

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 07:25:59 PM

In this age of modern advancements and technology, privacy has become scarced. You can not hide your self from the world. But you can minimize that chance by browsing safely. Don't allow Google to tracj your location and also don't post wherever you go.
bitmover

View Profile
June 04, 2018, 01:00:07 PM

I think privacy comes apart, when money is involved. I saw this happening on this forum when Ripple was introduced. People only had to link with their Facebook account to get some FREE Ripple in the beginning. This immediately compromised most of these people and their account was linked to their real identity. <if they used their real account, they DOXed themselves>
I missed out on the Ripple giveaway, but I got some Stellar Lumens last year. The trick is to be conscious about your privacy all the time: it was very easy to create a fake Facebook account, you can even use Tor (on the beautiful address facebookcorewwwi.onion). I've tested it, and it worked.
Once you neglect your privacy, it's gone forever. That's why it doesn't hurt to have some accounts without your real name ready, and a spare prepaid phone number for verifications.

Having a fake Facebook account ready is a good idea.
Exposing your real Facebook account to a giveaway and linking it to cryptocurrencies may even be dangerous, as you can become a target online.

bitmover

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 06:17:39 PM

I was having a chat about security and phishing sites some other day.

An AdBlock is also an important method to avoid phishing sites. So you really should be using one, as it will increase your security.
Many phishing sites promote their scams through paid ads. If you can't see them, you can't click them.

Updated the OP with this information, which can be quite valuable.

siagh357

Activity: 144

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 07:03:43 PM

Privacy on internet is absolutely not possible. Google alone account for almost all the features that make surfing enjoyable and trying to avoid google products not only seems locking yourself up but missing the essential things on the web.
ghermghuda

Activity: 98
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 11:25:08 PM

Wow, Internet security is one interesting thing for everyone to deeply take note of. We. really need to protect our data because it is our everything.

Neluns
♦ New Generation Financial Ecosystem ♦
Pre-sale on Aug, 1
Ri Polok

Activity: 224
Merit: 4

Staker.network - POS Smart Contract ETH Token

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 12:27:40 AM

this is really helpful tips for all of us, thanks for share the good idea.

STAKER.network ] ━━ [ The Next Proof-of-Stake Smart Contract Token
] ⚁ 100% 1st Year Interest [ ━━ ] ⚀ Free Airdrops [
BanishedDemon

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

rethenfoundation

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2018, 07:10:10 PM

First off, not one of the private modes provided through the major browsers can defend your online records from being viewed by internet service companies or authorities businesses, block third-party agencies from monitoring your interest or figuring out your geographical place, nor save you viruses and malware from infecting your laptop. rather, the modes are designed to genuinely prevent cookies and autofill information from being stored at the user’s local device.

And secondly, while those barriers are not actually newsworthy in and of themselves – they have been reported a couple of times in current years – how poorly the browser companies’ keeps your personal identity.
bitmover

View Profile
July 18, 2018, 02:00:09 PM

Updating:

If you use Ledger nano, you do not need to use Google Chrome anymore. That´s good for privacy.
You can download Ledger Live

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.