Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:32:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is spoofing and wash trading ?  (Read 130 times)
Johannson (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 02:19:33 AM

I researched those two terms but I got some different , yet hard to understand answers/ opinions on this topic.

I would like to know how they can do those two things and how dangerous they can be for prices, and if there is a solution for it . 
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 02:47:15 AM

DataDash(YouTuber) made a video about this exact topic a few days ago. Take a look at it. Video is really really well done.

"How Markets are Manipulated" | Crypto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If8ZM8GkThg

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 12:47:05 PM

I'll try going for a quick tldr;

Wash trading, in the traditional sense, is buying stocks through one broker and selling through another in an attempt to create fake trading volume. This is also applicable in crypto, and is bad because it fools other people into thinking the market is more active than it actually is. The manipulator can cause others to make bad investments, and at the same time, sell his holdings higher at the expense of other people.

Spoofing is creating buy orders only to cancel them. Done on a scale large enough, a manipulator can raise prices with ease and take advantage of it by selling.

As for solutions, they're being kept in check in traditional markets through trading regulations. Regulators could probably force exchanges to comply with anti-manipulation practices in the future.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: