Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:00:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcointalk run by Scammers acusation  (Read 1391 times)
nachius (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 12:46:04 PM

Anyone else notice this today on the front page of bitcointalk.com:

BitcoinTalk Discussion Board - WARNING – While Bitcointalk.org has a wealth of information about Bitcoin and some very knowledgeable members  be aware that the site is run by scammers.  Do not trust any of the ads and since the site administrators encourage the sale of accounts you can never be sure who you are dealing with.  The site is being investigated by various law enforcement entities and was mentioned in a recent criminal indictments involving very serious crimes including torture and murder for hire as well as investment schemes.  If you need technical support try MillyBitcoin.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:16:29 PM

Let's add complicity-through-inaction in violating privacy policies to the list of transgressions against these forums.

Inaba can get away with outing their former customers/critics for the aim of intimidation on these forums while moderators gaze from on high and do nothing to protect their members.

Disgusting and shameful.

A libertarian utopia to be sure. *rolls eyes*

Also, today I learned that bitcointalk.com exists.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:50:44 PM

BitcoinTalk Discussion Board - WARNING – While Bitcointalk.org has a wealth of information about Bitcoin and some very knowledgeable members  be aware that the site is run by scammers.  Do not trust any of the ads and since the site administrators encourage the sale of accounts you can never be sure who you are dealing with.  The site is being investigated by various law enforcement entities and was mentioned in a recent criminal indictments involving very serious crimes including torture and murder for hire as well as investment schemes.  If you need technical support try MillyBitcoin.com

They do?  It's allowed because it would be a lot harder to stop, and this way everyone knows that it's happening.  I've never seen any posts encouraging account sales by an admin.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:53:06 PM

They do?  It's allowed because it would be a lot harder to stop, and this way everyone knows that it's happening.  I've never seen any posts encouraging account sales by an admin.

Yes, it's allowed. Governments should adopt the same strategy and stop making new laws they cannot enforce fully (and create and unclear and unfair situation as a result).
Bullionado

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 04:59:04 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2013, 07:51:52 PM by Bullionado

The admins have activity supported selling of accounts.  They claim it is alright because it happens anyway and that is their way of warning people that it happens.  You can warn people that it happens without encouraging it.  You don't see this on other web sites because those sites are run by adults who take responsibility for their actions.

The Libertarian party in my State runs an open government project and I interact with them all the time.  I have also been to talks at the CATO institute several times.  Those Libertarians fighting for reduced government have nothing to do with criminals who use Libertarianism as an excuse to engage in criminal conduct and then claim no responsibility.

I bought BitcoinTalk.com awhile back.  If I followed the leads of the admins on this site I would have set up a phishing site and sell the accounts, get free XRP's, etc. but I would rather run a legitimate business.

I have tried to help the site admins but I have realized over time that they are unwell to change and grow up with Bitcoin.  Bitcoin cannot depend on this site and the cast of characters who run it.  These people will eventually be pushed out anyway so the sooner the better.

Sorry for being naive at this one but exactly how is selling email accounts of users going to possibly benefit the owners of this website? other then the usual database sell rates.

If anything there would be more spam but then this is not something avid users of the internet are immune to.

Please enlighten me and others reading this thread, if I am missing the piece of the puzzle.

-
Bullionado

Activity: 24

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 05:40:42 PM

The admins have activity supported selling of accounts.  They claim it is alright because it happens anyway and that is their way of warning people that it happens.  You can warn people that it happens without encouraging it.  You don't see this on other web sites because those sites are run by adults who take responsibility for their actions.

The Libertarian party in my State runs an open government project and I interact with them all the time.  I have also been to talks at the CATO institute several times.  Those Libertarians fighting for reduced government have nothing to do with criminals who use Libertarianism as an excuse to engage in criminal conduct and then claim no responsibility.

I bought BitcoinTalk.com awhile back.  If I followed the leads of the admins on this site I would have set up a phishing site and sell the accounts, get free XRP's, etc. but I would rather run a legitimate business.

I have tried to help the site admins but I have realized over time that they are unwell to change and grow up with Bitcoin.  Bitcoin cannot depend on this site and the cast of characters who run it.  These people will eventually be pushed out anyway so the sooner the better.

Sorry for being naive at this one but exactly how is selling email accounts of users going to possibly benefit the owners of this website? other then the usual database sell rates.

If anything there would be more spam but then this is not something avid users of the internet are immune to.

Please enlighten me and others reading this thread, if I am missing the piece of the puzzle.

- Safvan

Pointing out the fact that they promote the sale of accounts is to warn new users and to show how poorly the forum is administered.  It can be more than spam if a users tries to pull a scam based on the forum reputation.  That is stupid but that is not the main issue.  The main issue is how they run scam ads that are designed to defraud new users and allow scams to continue.  The admins can't just yell "Libertarianism" and then take no responsibility while grabbing the cash.

Well I cannot comment on the specifics of the accusations nor I am their lawyer but one thing is for sure, they do not mind forum users bashing their integrity online on their own property.

It is like your neighbor entering your house and breaking things around, calling you names and then feeling better about himself and you are alright with it.

If this is not libertarianism, then what is?

Any ways I am in no legal position to make a judgement and will choose to stand at the end of the line.

anonameous

Activity: 48

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 05:30:26 AM

the site administrators encourage the sale of accounts you can never be sure who you are dealing with.

No they don't. They let people sell accounts here because most of them communicate with buyers via unencrypted pm's which can be retrieved by forum staff in future to help with scam investigations. *wink*

If they began deleting the account selling threads, the sellers would go back to other forums where they used to sell bitcointalk accounts and make the problem worse. Deleting the threads won't make the problem go away it'll just make it worse.

The site is being investigated by various law enforcement entities

Proof of it being "investigated"? and for what crimes exactly? Being cited as a source of evidence in a criminal case doesn't make this site a "scammer", by that logic Google is also a scammer.

and was mentioned in a recent criminal indictments involving very serious crimes including torture and murder for hire as well as investment schemes

WOW! you mean 2 CASES? Meanwhile Google and Facebook are mentioned in tens of thousands of criminal cases every year involving those crimes and almost every other crime you can think of, and some of those cases are actually against those websites too.
ekiro

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 05:34:02 AM

Let's add complicity-through-inaction in violating privacy policies to the list of transgressions against these forums.

Inaba can get away with outing their former customers/critics for the aim of intimidation on these forums while moderators gaze from on high and do nothing to protect their members.

Disgusting and shameful.

A libertarian utopia to be sure. *rolls eyes*

Also, today I learned that bitcointalk.com exists.
Yep. Pretty much the only thing I saw here was: bullshit... bullshit... bullshit.. bitcointalk.com... bullshit... WAIT! WTF?! BitcoinTalk.COM?!?!? *visits domain*
anonameous

Activity: 48

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 05:35:40 AM

The main issue is how they run scam ads that are designed to defraud new users and allow scams to continue.  The admins can't just yell "Libertarianism" and then take no responsibility while grabbing the cash.

Don't forget to tell Google to remove their ads from AdSense and remove them from the search index too. Oh wait! they won't...
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 02:10:42 PM

The fuck are they on about? Sure, BTCTalk can be bad, but this is pure bullshit.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 02:33:35 PM

Some people have missed the point; the Internet is anarchy for its various usages do not officially respond to any higher order (and often reject to the idea of it, despite certain websites being pressured with political might), and are not forced to subject themselves as any lower order.  This website, even if it had massive regulation and hard, lengthy rules, would still be libertarian, as are all websites, because you are not forced to use it nor will such regulations follow you in your private life; it is completely voluntary.

If you're complaining about libertopia, you're complaining about the Internet as a whole...while wanting to be on it.  If it's so bad, leave; you can do that in libertarian communities.

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 02:35:16 PM

Some people have missed the point; the Internet is anarchy for its various usages do not officially respond to any higher order (and often reject to the idea of it, despite certain websites being pressured with political might), and are not forced to subject themselves as any lower order.  This website, even if it had massive regulation and hard, lengthy rules, would still be libertarian, as are all websites, because you are not forced to use it nor will such regulations follow you in your private life; it is completely voluntary.

If you're complaining about libertopia, you're complaining about the Internet as a whole...while wanting to be on it.  If it's so bad, leave; you can do that in libertarian communities.

I agree. Please op-out Smiley
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 06:17:32 PM

Some people have missed the point; the Internet is anarchy for its various usages do not officially respond to any higher order (and often reject to the idea of it, despite certain websites being pressured with political might), and are not forced to subject themselves as any lower order.  This website, even if it had massive regulation and hard, lengthy rules, would still be libertarian, as are all websites, because you are not forced to use it nor will such regulations follow you in your private life; it is completely voluntary.

If you're complaining about libertopia, you're complaining about the Internet as a whole...while wanting to be on it.  If it's so bad, leave; you can do that in libertarian communities.

Therein lies the conundrum.  If they want their coins to become more valuable they have to bring in the masses.  Telling people to go away is Bitcoin suicide.

Leave, find out our way is superior by observing it from the outside, come back without the attitude Smiley
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 07:57:35 PM

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 11:14:05 PM

Therein lies the conundrum.  If they want their coins to become more valuable they have to bring in the masses.  Telling people to go away is Bitcoin suicide.

Not saying anyone should go away, just making clear that pointing to an issue is not the same as solving an issue; if the dissenters of the way this site is run want a solution, they would do better to make their own website with increased regulation than make endless threads whining about it.  The second forum, if superior, should naturally have more users than this one over time.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: