dr3g (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
nvm
October 28, 2013, 07:46:22 AM
Last edit: November 06, 2013, 09:13:02 PM by dr3g

nvm
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 08:23:08 AM

My question- is operating my bitcoin wallet using a wireless modem safe for my cash? For example- lets say that somebody uses internet offer from the same GSM operator, and is like using it few hundred meters from me. Isnt he going to have the same IP address and if yes- isnt my privacy and safety of my bitcoins in trouble?
Two users cannot have the same IP address simultaneously, though if someone connects to the network after you disconnect, they may be given your old IP address. Note that this applies equally to both wired and wireless networks.

Bitcoins are not sent to IP addresses*. Bitcoins are sent to Bitcoin addresses, which represent a cryptographic key. Only someone with the private key to that address (which is stored on the owner's computer and is never transmitted anywhere) can create a transaction to spend those coins. Bitcoin transactions are cryptographically signed to make modification or forgery impossible.

Privacy, however, may be an problem if others can monitor your Internet connection. Bitcoin-Qt can be run over Tor to avoid this issue, however MultiBit cannot (as far as I am aware).

*There used to be a "pay to IP" feature, but this was removed long ago due to how ludicrously unsafe it is.

Second question- is it worth to invest in a wireless router, instead of using only wireless modem (my is going to be Huawei E3131 to be precise)? Is it going to increase my safety?
No, it will not affect your safety or privacy at all (unless, of course, your computer is connected to the router insecurely, eg, over open WiFi). A router will make it easier for you to connect multiple computers, but that's all.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
msc

Activity: 282
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 08:29:00 AM

Second question- is it worth to invest in a wireless router, instead of using only wireless modem (my is going to be Huawei E3131 to be precise)? Is it going to increase my safety?
Routers are safer in general, because they have a firewall built-in that will keep hackers out even if the firewall on your computer or handheld device is off.  I do recommend it for a desktop computer.  But, it will do nothing to prevent eavesdropping on your Internet connection, or protect from viruses.
Corenin
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 08:40:37 AM

Hi
I want to purchase a wireless internet plan- about 1MB/s speed and transfer of few GBs. Its not a lot but enough for operating bitcoins with MultiBit.
My question- is operating my bitcoin wallet using a wireless modem safe for my cash? For example- lets say that somebody uses internet offer from the same GSM operator, and is like using it few hundred meters from me. Isnt he going to have the same IP address and if yes- isnt my privacy and safety of my bitcoins in trouble?

I think its safer and easier to make sure your computer is fire-walled and you have really long password for your wallet.
Snail21

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 09:58:49 AM

If you have a good wireless key and using WPA2 with AES then you are more or less safe from a network view. You can also use some kind of VPN connection as an additional security layer.
rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240
Merit: 1001

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 10:19:34 AM

Hi
I want to purchase a wireless internet plan- about 1MB/s speed and transfer of few GBs. Its not a lot but enough for operating bitcoins with MultiBit.
My question- is operating my bitcoin wallet using a wireless modem safe for my cash?

MultiBit doesn't need protection since it can't be contacted via network: it's only a client.

Your computer, on the contrary, needs protection.

For example- lets say that somebody uses internet offer from the same GSM operator, and is like using it few hundred meters from me. Isnt he going to have the same IP address and if yes- isnt my privacy and safety of my bitcoins in trouble?

Is your provider using NAT?
If so, sharing IP address improves security and privacy.

No: home made wi-fi networks use pre-shared keys; this is probably worse than the technology your provider uses.
xephyr

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 04:17:17 PM

Hi

Multibit finally encrypts private keys in the latest releases but is not deterministic like the lightweight wallet Electrum. Take a look at Electurm if you only want to have to backup your wallet once.

Electrum also provides cold storage for security. Using cold storage you keep your private keys offline on an airgapped computer.
g3rd

Activity: 9

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:39:19 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2013, 09:11:48 PM by g3rd

-answered-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: