Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:15:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help needed to setup wireless usb adapter with BAMT  (Read 5092 times)
BookLover (OP)

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
April 12, 2012, 10:58:07 PM
Last edit: April 15, 2012, 05:33:51 PM by BookLover

I'm trying to get a Rosewill RNX-G1LX wireless usb adapter to work on BAMT.  I've downloaded and installed both ndiswrapper and ndisgtk because I could not find any linux drivers for this adapter.  I believe I have successfully installed a driver from the CD provided by Rosewill with ndisgtk/ndiswrapper and have restarted networking using "/etc/init.d/networking restart", but when I run "iwlist wlan0 scanning" I get an error message saying interface doesn't support scanning. Huh

I'm not very used to linux and I've hit a wall. Embarrassed  Any suggestions, ideas or thoughts that might help would be greatly appreciated.  Cheesy

[Edit]  This is a list of more information if you have any questions please post:
When I use the command "lsusb" I see the wireless usb adapter.
When I use the command "iwconfig" I do not see wlan0.  However, before using ndisgtk I did.
BAMT is currently working via ethernet to a windows machine with a Rosewill RNX-G1LX wireless usb adapter installed.

Thanks,
BookLover

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BookLover (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 01:37:08 PM

(bump)  Could the problem be that the dependencies have been removed?

arby
Donator

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

keybase.io/arblarg

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 04:13:15 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2012, 07:18:40 PM by packet7

Hello,

It would be helpful to post here the output of lsusb, because the "name" of the adapter does not really matter, but the device ID listed when issuing the lsusb command.

Even if some devices have a different brand name, many of them use the same chips (e.g. Realtek).

You can also search online for your device ID, and maybe find some good driver for it.

Jabber/XMPP: arby@darkness.su
BookLover (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2012, 10:04:17 PM

The output is "Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0bda:8187 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter".

arby
Donator

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

keybase.io/arblarg

View Profile
April 22, 2012, 04:14:19 AM

Hello,

Well actually you do not need ndiswrapper, as Linux supports this model.

http://wiki.debian.org/rtl818x

The kernel module which is responsible for your card is: rtl8187

Loading and unloading the driver is done by (as root): modprobe rtl8187 / rmmod rtl8187

So maybe try to uninstall ndiswrapper and try to load the module again.

If on "ifconfig" the wlan0 or any wireless interface shows up, it usually means it is supported, but configuring it to access the internet is another story.
(wpa_supplicant)

I never used BAMT, but it says its based on debian, so you would need to search for help on this driver: RTL8187 for debian.

But as I looked online, debian is already supporting your card so I dont know why you installed ndiswrapper, as it only messed up your system.

You can install the latest wifi drivers from here in case the kernel module does not work(but it should): http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download

There are some instructions on how to do it there, but it will take a while.

Jabber/XMPP: arby@darkness.su
BookLover (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2012, 01:24:19 PM

Huh, Shocked it worked!  Huh  I managed to get the adapter functioning and was trying to get it to communicate with my WPA2 network through wpa_supplicant when the system failed and now it will not reboot.  Pity it fails just when I'm making progress. Oh well guess I'll just have to set up another BAMT bootable usb drive.

Thanks, you really helped

BookLover

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: