Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:21:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bech32 generation in the GUI question  (Read 178 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 12:03:18 AM

I noticed that in the "Receiving address" window, it does not generate bech32 addresses when you have enabled the checkbox, I mean in here:

If you have the "Generate bech32 addresses" box checked, then why doesn't it generate bech32 addresses there? I have to go to the "Receive" tab and click "Request payment" which I never use personally, otherwise in the  "Receiving address" window which is what im used to using, it still generates nested addresses.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2018, 01:47:44 AM

This is a known issue. Just use the receive page.

jnano

Activity: 301
Merit: 74

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 08:03:16 PM

"Receiving Addresses" and the Receive tab provide the same functionality, just with different things hidden. Perhaps they could be folded into one, with configuration of what to show?

Also I generate addresses almost exclusively in the Receiving Addresses window and not in the Receive tab.

Pros: Shows address strings, shows all generated addresses, labels can be edited, less cluttered with fields I don't use: amount and message.
Cons: Can't show QR code, doesn't show date, less accessible in the GUI.

(Come to think of it, also the Transactions tab could be folded into Overview.)
Kogs

Activity: 86
Merit: 26

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 04:15:14 AM

Unfortunately this checkbox will not be implemented anymore.

There was a request to do it here
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12520

The solution was to remove the "New" Button in the address book so it's only possible to create new addresses via the "Receive" tab.
This is the pull request which is already merged into the bitcoin master branch.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12721

So with the next bitcoin core release there is no more "New" Button in the address book.

I already implemented this checkbox as I also missed it, but before I got the chance to create a pull request, the "New" Button was removed so my changes are useless now.
cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 04:58:42 PM

Unfortunately this checkbox will not be implemented anymore.

There was a request to do it here
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12520

The solution was to remove the "New" Button in the address book so it's only possible to create new addresses via the "Receive" tab.
This is the pull request which is already merged into the bitcoin master branch.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12721

So with the next bitcoin core release there is no more "New" Button in the address book.

I already implemented this checkbox as I also missed it, but before I got the chance to create a pull request, the "New" Button was removed so my changes are useless now.

What, are you saying that you will not be able to choose between nested and bech32 format anymore? from what I understand, it reads as if they will remove the checkbox... why? How will I choose what format do I want to generate then?

In my opinion I still believe a sliding menu would be the best way:

Having this there next to the button that generates addresses is very straight forward and clear.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2018, 05:05:34 PM

What, are you saying that you will not be able to choose between nested and bech32 format anymore? from what I understand, it reads as if they will remove the checkbox... why? How will I choose what format do I want to generate then?
No, the "New" button in the "Receiving Addresses" dialog was removed. You can still generate bech32 addresses with the "Receive" tab; nothing has changed there.

cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 04:32:37 PM

No, the "New" button in the "Receiving Addresses" dialog was removed. You can still generate bech32 addresses with the "Receive" tab; nothing has changed there.

Oh I get it. Why tho? It was useful to be able to create addresses from there... I got all of my addresses listed there. I don't have the list on the other place. Sometimes I want to create a new address re-using an existing label for example, so I can copy paste it from there and do it all on the same window. Now I will need to find the label I want to re-use, copy the label, go to the other window to generate the new address, paste the label, then remove the address from that window since I don't really need it to stay in there too, I mean in the "Requested payments history", mine is empty because I kept track of addresses on the Receiving Addresses" window:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: