Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:16:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: advocacy versus etiquette  (Read 936 times)
aminorex (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 02:02:54 PM

My policy:  everytime you go to a restaurant, tell the waiter you only tip in bitcoin. if they have a phone its trivial to load an app. otherwise, use the coinbase app to send a tip to  their email address.  cabs likewise.  tip better, big enough so the experience is a positive one.

never ever pay for anything  without asking if 'you take bitcoin yet?'  when in power, force it. 
demand payment in bitcoin.

do not be too polite, or lazy:  as well as being good for your book, it is a moral imperative.
make your life better.  they will thank you for it later.
you have a choice.  use it.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 05:10:37 PM

Might be better to print a few private keys via bitaddress.org and give those slips of paper instead. No waiter/waitress has time to install apps and setup accounts and serve your food.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 05:14:29 PM

They might also ban you from their premises in response.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:16:48 PM

Might be better to print a few private keys via bitaddress.org and give those slips of paper instead. No waiter/waitress has time to install apps and setup accounts and serve your food.
Seriously though, what do you think would happen to most of these slips of paper?

I recall working at a hotel reception and receiving a 5-USD-bill as a tip from an american tourist. Well, you can't spend Dollars where I live, and exchanging just 5 bucks is just not worth the hassle. I just left it sitting there in the cash register.
Now, that was with 5 Dollars, a well-known currency and all.
If somebody had given me something like "internet hacker money" on a printout from his personal inkjet printer... well, there's always that basket beneath my table...

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Ecurb123

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:18:18 PM

how does the coinbase thing work? I guess you're telling the service to create a new wallet, then send send the person an email giving them access to said wallet?
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 07:48:00 PM

People who work in the service industry have it tough enough, I'm not going to make them jump through hoops to get their tip.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 08:35:40 PM

People who work in the service industry have it tough enough, I'm not going to make them jump through hoops to get their tip.

Come on, where is your contribution to The Movement?
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 10:16:28 PM

Trying to keep the forums clean doesn't count?
DragonStar

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 11:48:54 PM

I think that it would be more polite and practical in spreading the word about bitcoin to offer a larger tip if they accept the tip in bitcoin, rather than requiring that the tip be in bitcoin.  If they don't know what it is, it might be a good opportunity to explain it to them, or if they don't have time, just tell them to visit somewhere like this site or bitcoin.org.  And then hopefully they'll do that later, learn about it, and maybe they'll be willing and ready to accept tips in bitcoin later.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 01:05:18 PM

Trying to keep the forums clean doesn't count?

Look around you.
That said it depends on whatever you think The Movement actually is.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 01:12:42 PM

Seriously though, what do you think would happen to most of these slips of paper?

I recall working at a hotel reception and receiving a 5-USD-bill as a tip from an american tourist. Well, you can't spend Dollars where I live, and exchanging just 5 bucks is just not worth the hassle. I just left it sitting there in the cash register.
Now, that was with 5 Dollars, a well-known currency and all.
If somebody had given me something like "internet hacker money" on a printout from his personal inkjet printer... well, there's always that basket beneath my table...

Haha.. let's see. There was a Bitcoin conference in a certain hotel in Finland last May. We gave out about BTC5 as tips in denominations ranging from 10mBTC to 500mBTC. Printed in the bills was a website and there was a date and time how to redeem it (in the same hotel). Nobody came to redeem them  Shocked I decided to give the people a second chance when bitcoin is 10 times higher, and third when it is 100 times and so on..

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 01:26:13 PM

Wait staff DO NOT have time to talk to you about bitcoin.  Nobody likes to be FORCED to do anything.  It will come.  Tell people you have a good relationship with that have the time to listen.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 05:28:42 PM

Waiter.  Here is your tip.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: