Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:46:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Bitcoins should be renamed to burying.  (Read 4789 times)
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 02:03:08 AM

Basically it goes like this: Mining coal gets something out of the ground that can be turned into electricity.

Generating Bitcoins wastes electricity consuming coal. That coal is then buried inside the blockchain (It's not but the carbon dioxide which was released in the process is there.)
Buring is the opposite of digging, or if you will you have to dig something out first (earth or coal) in order to bury.

So I propose mining should be renamed, or stopped being used to describe generating Bitcoins.
thanks for your attention

your
Electric Mucus
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
auzaar

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 05:11:35 AM

So I propose mining should be renamed, or stopped being used to describe generating Bitcoins.

I agree and while we are at it, we should rename any digging activity like coal mining, gold mining, diamond mining, road digging, grave digging to burying as all of them use some sort of energy mostly electricity.
strideynet

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 07:40:14 AM

I think it's a bet late to get this changed for some damn political problem you see. Collect over 51% of the clients signatures from the Internet and the change goes through. That's how we work here.
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 09:10:48 AM

I think it's a bet late to get this changed for some damn political problem you see. Collect over 51% of the clients signatures from the Internet and the change goes through. That's how we work here.

No it just has to catch on.

Whoever came up with the term mining anyway? Generating Bitcoins works fine, it's catchy, descriptive and isn't confusing to anybody.
Hell coining or minting would do better.

Btw, I buried a huge turd this morning.
hayek

Activity: 370
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 03:59:52 PM

I think this is dumb
alp

Activity: 284
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 04:30:31 PM

Basically it goes like this: Mining coal gets something out of the ground that can be turned into electricity.

Generating Bitcoins wastes electricity consuming coal. That coal is then buried inside the blockchain (It's not but the carbon dioxide which was released in the process is there.)
Buring is the opposite of digging, or if you will you have to dig something out first (earth or coal) in order to bury.

thanks for your attention

your
Electric Mucus

Mining is not exclusively related to uncovering energy.  Mining gold does not create energy.  Mining iron does not create energy.  Should that be renamed to burying gold?

I am looking for a good signature. Here could be your advertisement
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 04:43:12 PM

I think this is dumb

It's intended to be dumb. That is because it was called the right term all along and this is the only way to highlight how dumb "mining" is.
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 04:46:06 PM

Wait, isn't ElectricMucus one of the Ripple shills?
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 04:47:44 PM

who are you?
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 04:50:17 PM

who are you?

I used to post in the Ripple threads (Alt-coin section) questioning their system, and I remember some user account with "Mucus" in was always right on time to defend them (Ripple). I might be wrong and it might not be you, just feels like it was especially as you are here now bashing Bitcoin.
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 05:10:30 PM

Is this some sort of inquisition?
I made a habit of pointing out ridiculous things about Bitcoin long before ripple came along.   If you don't like how I post there is a bright yellow button at the left that spares you my insights. But then please don't post in my threads.

This thread is not about that though.
It is about how dumb the term "mining" is.  It was called generating Bitcoins at the start, which is a way better term. The introduction post was just my way of pointing that out.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 05:24:28 PM

Fail thread, mining is for security, not to generate coin. You can generate all the coin you want with a single cpu at difficulty 1. The whole difficulty and mining thing is for security. And security is never cheap.

drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 05:25:10 PM

Is this some sort of inquisition?
I made a habit of pointing out ridiculous things about Bitcoin long before ripple came along.   If you don't like how I post there is a bright yellow button at the left that spares you my insights. But then please don't post in my threads.

This thread is not about that though.
It is about how dumb the term "mining" is.  It was called generating Bitcoins at the start, which is a way better term. The introduction post was just my way of pointing that out.

"Mining" makes more sense to the layman because it invokes the idea of "hard work done" to gain a certain limited resource.

"Generating" does not invoke the same image to most people.

Also many things mined in the real world do not allow for electrical generation by burning or changing. The most obvious analogy being Gold.

We mine Gold for which most is used for jewelry or a store or wealth (use in electrical components is a very small amount of worldwide usage.)

Mining Bitcoins is quite similar to mining Gold with respect to work done to gain a shiny material as a store of wealth.
OleOle

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 05:30:01 PM

Request politely declined.

I happen to like the term 'mining' and when I liberate the coins for free use via mining, I'm turning them into bullion or fiat, not burying them like a dog buries a bone making it inert and useless.

Smiley

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 06:19:39 PM

"Mining" makes more sense to the layman because it invokes the idea of "hard work done" to gain a certain limited resource.

But there is no "hard work" being done.  Huh The "miners" simply guess random nonces until one is found that will produce a valid hashed block. It's similar to throwing spaghetti against a wall until one keeps sticking to the wall and declaring that one the winner.
drawingthesun
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 06:21:56 PM

But there is no "hard work" being done.  Huh The "miners" simply guess random nonces until one is found that will produce a valid hashed block. It's similar to throwing spaghetti against a wall until one keeps sticking to the wall and declaring that one the winner.

Well the nature of "proof of work" is in computer terms, hard work.

Real mining involves digging and hoping this batch of dirt has the shiny stuff, I can see a very direct analogy here.

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 06:24:49 PM

Generating Bitcoins wastes electricity

No.
Yes it does. I mined solo with my 5850 at a difficulty of 3 million at the time for several months, I didn't find a block. Was that electricity not wasted since I didn't even help the network?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 07:52:50 PM

Generating Bitcoins wastes electricity

No.
Yes it does. I mined solo with my 5850 at a difficulty of 3 million at the time for several months, I didn't find a block. Was that electricity not wasted since I didn't even help the network?
Actually the system worked perfectly: it stopped a random guy with a 5850 from doing a 51% attack.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 07:58:06 PM

According to my precise calculations, the number of people who decide to sit at home watching BTC tickers and reading bitcointalk.org vs. jumping in their car and burning fuel to go hiking or something makes Bitcoin deeply carbon-negative.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
ElectricMucus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 11:28:06 PM

According to my precise calculations, the number of people who decide to sit at home watching BTC tickers and reading bitcointalk.org vs. jumping in their car and burning fuel to go hiking or something makes Bitcoin deeply carbon-negative.

Best point yet. But no, that the arms race has lead to viewing it as a heating substitute speaks volumes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: