Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:44:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Monthly average USD/bitcoin price & trend  (Read 118184 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 06:50:14 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2013, 09:32:53 PM by BitDreams

The way I am considering things price movement reflects adoption. This thread talks about existing markets but what about non-existent markets?

Bitcoin is being examined as currency but I've recently (this year) come to realize it is a protocol. Because I see Bitcoin as a protocol I readily accept the need for alt coins to serve as stand alone ledgers or subledgers. Since I believe in the need for alt-coins I'll accept a need for one to serve as the foundation by which all others are measured. Bitcoin has the first mover advantage.

Any data flowing on the internet is potential energy for the Bitcoin protocol.

Recently it was announced in the U.S. that the 'National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is considering mandating V2V (vehicle-to-vehicle communications to request automobile manufacturers place communications technology that constantly broadcasts via radio wave the car’s location, direction, speed and, possibly, even the number of passengers it is carrying'. - ref. cnsnews.com.

Imagine the Bitcoin protocol owning V2V data and placing it in a public blockchain. Now imagine the only way to retrieve that data and trace it to an individual is through a complementary blockchain that has to identify who they are as they retrieve that data. Regulators can have fun with that topic but I've got other motives, Bitcoin has the potential to regulate the surveillance, to give me a voice. Commercial interests are welcome to buy my data - or perhaps I could block them. Maybe local government takes some of my data for taxes so they can fill the pothole I'm always braking for. Or, let's not measure a thing and all go live in the woods. For me, the debate is over. This is just one wild and maybe impractical idea - though nothing should be impossible - but I know for sure there are going to be millions of other ideas just as wild and some will even be practical.

This thread is about price: I've graphed using an Andrews Pitchfork to derive a very broad channel for price on a log chart. Currently I like this fork because it visually back tests well. The channels, or curves on fork are based on fibonacci commonly used in technical analysis. If this fork is 'in tune' with price going forward there will be price reversals frequently occurring coincident to these upward sloping channels. Though this Andrews Pitchfork is plotted from within the greater time scale, it visually rhymes with the long term logarithmic chart backtested by trendlines to key price points. (note that according to BTC on Tradingview data I have 'the floor' at one-cent on 10-04-2010. I am new using Tradingview software, growing to like it the more I use it, so sorry for the lack of labeling on the chart but you can easily make the chart your own by right clicking on the fractals and altering the settings to try different fibs.

Edit: interactive chart link: https://www.tradingview.com/e/M1ZPd859/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SlipperySlope

Activity: 686
Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 07:44:05 PM

Your log regression line looks similar to the one I plotted with a logistic function. In particular it is notable that 1000 is expected by Q1 2013 and 10000 is expected about a year later.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 23, 2013, 08:02:44 PM

Your log regression line looks similar to the one I plotted with a logistic function. In particular it is notable that 1000 is expected by Q1 2013 and 10000 is expected about a year later.

I woke up a few days ago to the unexpected: we had crossed 1000 Wink

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:16:32 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2013, 12:30:00 PM by Zangelbert Bingledack

This thread talks about existing markets but what about non-existant markets?

One almost universal mistake made in long-term price targets is the ceteris paribus fallacy. The idea is that Bitcoin will be used for everything that gold and fiat money is used for today, and everything else will stay the same. The reasoning goes, "If Bitcoin takes over the world, the price will reflect the value of what it took over: gold's functionality as a store of value, PayPal's transactional functionality, and the money supply of the world's currencies." Such estimates generally put the target price between $100,000 and several million dollars (in today's dollars).

That's a bit like arguing, in 1994, that email will be worth the value of the postal system.

Looking to a future year when the entire global economy is denominated in bitcoins, 1 BTC won't just be worth ~1/21,000,000 of today's global output. It won't just be worth ~1/21,000,000 of whatever the global output would have been in that year if Bitcoin had never arisen. It will be worth ~1/21,000,000 of the global output of a Bitcoin-enabled world.

A world with friction-free commerce, small and relatively much more efficient government (if any), absolutely booming business thanks to predictable "monetary policy" and market-defined interest rates and free stock markets, and a radically internationalized division of labor. Any one of those four should be enough to increase global output by an order of magnitude, if not more. But all four of them at once? Not to mention all the future applications like escrow, smart property, assurance contracts, distributed autonomous corporations (DACs) and autonomous agents, etc.

Given all that, and taking into account how all of this is included in the binary bet, I think the target price should be in the billions per coin. The timescale is less clear, but probably within a decade after mainstream adoption is reached.

Anyone with an mBTC will be set for life.

EDIT: To be clear, the price target for initial mainstream adoption probably is between $100,000 and $10,000,000 or so. I'm guessing $1 million as a conservative target. But once the dust settles we start into the economy-wide effects of a Bitcoin world and continue up a few more orders of magnitude in not very many years.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:42:13 PM

I was locked in for $300k, and now it is not delusional anymore, or even conservative, it is actually the initial step, and selling at that price should truthfully be called "selling your birthright for pea soup".

I <3 bitcoin. In the world of such abundance, who needs money anymore?

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 02:22:15 PM

I was locked in for $300k, and now it is not delusional anymore, or even conservative, it is actually the initial step, and selling at that price should truthfully be called "selling your birthright for pea soup".

I <3 bitcoin. In the world of such abundance, who needs money anymore?

It's almost too good to be true. But sometimes things just are indeed very good, and usually that's because things sucked a lot before and that suckiness has been alleviated.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 02:27:48 PM

....snip

snip...

So I guess I should'nt delete an old wallet I have with 0.00773931  on it   Smiley

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 03:31:32 PM

One almost universal mistake made in long-term price targets is the ceteris paribus fallacy. The idea is that Bitcoin will be used for everything that gold and fiat money is used for today, and everything else will stay the same. The reasoning goes, "If Bitcoin takes over the world, the price will reflect the value of what it took over: gold's functionality as a store of value, PayPal's transactional functionality, and the money supply of the world's currencies." Such estimates generally put the target price between $100,000 and several million dollars (in today's dollars).

That's a bit like arguing, in 1994, that email will be worth the value of the postal system.

Looking to a future year when the entire global economy is denominated in bitcoins, 1 BTC won't just be worth ~1/21,000,000 of today's global output. It won't just be worth ~1/21,000,000 of whatever the global output would have been in that year if Bitcoin had never arisen. It will be worth ~1/21,000,000 of the global output of a Bitcoin-enabled world.

A world with friction-free commerce, small and relatively much more efficient government (if any), absolutely booming business thanks to predictable "monetary policy" and market-defined interest rates and free stock markets, and a radically internationalized division of labor. Any one of those four should be enough to increase global output by an order of magnitude, if not more. But all four of them at once? Not to mention all the future applications like escrow, smart property, assurance contracts, distributed autonomous corporations (DACs) and autonomous agents, etc.

Given all that, and taking into account how all of this is included in the binary bet, I think the target price should be in the billions per coin. The timescale is less clear, but probably within a decade after mainstream adoption is reached.

EDIT: To be clear, the price target for initial mainstream adoption probably is between $100,000 and $10,000,000 or so. I'm guessing $1 million as a conservative target. But once the dust settles we start into the economy-wide effects of a Bitcoin world and continue up a few more orders of magnitude in not very many years.

Heh... I'd like to see the efforts people apply to securing their private keys when bitcoins are worth a billion dollars each. (or conversely, the efforts thieves will apply to stealing them)
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 04:22:31 PM

Heh... I'd like to see the efforts people apply to securing their private keys when bitcoins are worth a billion dollars each. (or conversely, the efforts thieves will apply to stealing them)

I have long been thinking why anyone cares to be a malicious hacker anymore, as hackers are the first ones to have heard about bitcoin, and are already so rich, or will be, if they just gain bitcoins.

If somebody after knowing all this, decides to rather steal the bitcoins that will make him rich, than buy them, he must be an evil person. (I don't think many people are truly evil.)

Just ask the multitude of people on here that have lost tons of coins due to hacking.....

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 04:37:01 PM

I have long been thinking why anyone cares to be a malicious hacker anymore, as hackers are the first ones to have heard about bitcoin, and are already so rich, or will be, if they just gain bitcoins.

If somebody after knowing all this, decides to rather steal the bitcoins that will make him rich, than buy them, he must be an evil person. (I don't think many people are truly evil.)

Just ask the multitude of people on here that have lost tons of coins due to hacking.....

Indeed. Risto, your opinion about this is a bit naive Smiley

When stealing is more opportunistic (implied costs of stealing including risk of failure and consequences) than buying, quite a lot of people will steal.
xxnewbiecoinerxx

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:03:18 PM

Newbies remark here: we have to consider other cryptocurrencies as well, not only Bitcoin...

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:35:41 PM

As long as Bitcoin retains dominance, the altcoins will only ever account for a few percent of the total cryptocurrency market cap. Compared to the exponential growth and multiple orders of magnitude of error in our projections, that percentage should be negligible from where we stand now.
Mageant
Legendary

Activity: 1145

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2013, 08:36:30 PM

While I agree this is true. I think people are just being conservative using today's economy as basis for calculating the expected future value of Bitcoin.
The numbers are so big and unimaginable anyway, what's a few orders of magnitude.

I'm imagining the news stories in 15 years when somebody finds a forgotten wallet with a few Bitcoins.
"Instant multi-billionaire!"
 Grin Grin Grin

cjgames.com
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:38:37 PM

Yeah it's true that these numbers get so astronomical that it hardly matters anyway. It's going to be "lots and lots of cash."
xchrix

Activity: 905

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:55:54 PM

watching this Smiley
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 09:01:39 PM

Anyone want to check what is the volume weighted price so far this month?

And should we change the weighting? Currently it is 100% Bitstamp. I think it is the best if we want to have 100% one exchange. Do we?

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 03:06:24 AM

Risto if am I not mistaken it appears to me the volatility is rising?

What would rising volatility tell you, if anything about a trading market?

A warning sign, and an indication to take a look to the support levels.

However this is bitcoin...this time its different.  Wink

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
fran2k

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 04:30:49 PM

Very interesting post and graphics, thanks!
Grafzep

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:00:32 PM

snip: Great Chart!

Thank you.
dasein

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:37:56 AM

And in the end your resolution requirements can never be high enough because of the disproportionate role of tail events that are difficult to predict and the psychological bias implicit in reduction to theory that favors certainty and denies ambiguity (because of death anxiety). In other words:
What you are saying is not coming through. Black swans are quite common globally, but rare within single constricted systems. FAPP we need to take the risk to omit them - and suffer the eventual consequences without whining when we repeat that risk over and over again until the unlikely becomes nearly certain on a personal scale.

Black swans are rare by definition, that's the point. We can make our thinking more robust to black swans by understanding that there will always be a gap between concepts and being, yet the gap is not so wide as to make concepts useless, nor is it so small as to make them coextensive. It's simply a matter of hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst.  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: