Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:00:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Monthly average USD/bitcoin price & trend  (Read 118184 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 03:07:08 PM

We know Mt Gox hit 1 million users in the last week or so.  

Can we chart estimated users against price?

Interesting idea. It was actually one of the reasons why I decided that the price was too high - 14B market cap as opposed to 1.2 million users gives $12k per user. Little bit on the dearish side for now.

If someone would take the time to estimate the number of bitcoin users back in time, for example monthly. I am not the right person to do this, since I was not active in the community before late 2012.

"A Twitter User Is Worth $110; Facebook's $98; LinkedIn's $93" [1]

Edit:

More info. Amazon users worth $1110, also different numbers for LinkedIn and Facebook [2]

[1] http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgeanders/2013/11/07/a-twitter-user-is-worth-110-facebooks-98-linkedins-93/
[2] http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/08/27/how-much-is-a-user-worth.aspx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 03:28:45 PM

More info. Amazon users worth $1110, also different numbers for LinkedIn and Facebook [2]

I remember in 2000 a Sonera (mobile operator) user was worth $20k.

No more Wink

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1459

Clueless!

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:33:30 PM

In my understanding, number of bitcoin users now is only 350,000, less than a million at least.

When it reaches 100 million, we are still in early adopter phase in global scale.

It is very important to realize that all growth has its limits, and the limit for bitcoin growth is that it replaces all other liquid wealth. That would lead the purchasing power to be in several million$ range. A more conservative scenario, that of replacing gold, would put the price at $300k/BTC.

It's still at least a 1500-bagger Wink

Good brainwash - $300k is now "conservative" as Chamath estimated $0.5-$1M...  Grin

Hehe, and people on reddit call each other insane for predicting $1000 by 2014. lol. Some clearly haven't grasped the enormity of what is hitting them yet.

yeah the question is are the "powers that be" finance/banks and such gonna jump on this train....or try to wreck the train...there will be some major backlash ..if history is any indication massive movements of wealth to the masses has been discouraged..usually by force regulatory and or physical....I myself and betting on 'greed' having them jump the train...ie at least stick a toe in the water with some fiat ..if that works out then the big splash from those with big money...but then again we humans are the "frenengi of primates' so something really stupid will probably happen don't ya know in the above regard...to try to derail bitcoin

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:36:43 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2013, 09:59:59 PM by AnonyMint

We know Mt Gox hit 1 million users in the last week or so.  

Can we chart estimated users against price?

Interesting idea. It was actually one of the reasons why I decided that the price was too high - 14B market cap as opposed to 1.2 million users gives $12k per user. Little bit on the dearish side for now.

This is rational, if we are not in a bubble, which is your point. But when the masses move in earnest, the bubble can much more overvalued.

As I stated upthread, it seemed a bit early for the stage where the masses rush in and also the institutional investors are coming in now, so the price had to come down first.

The China news pump and dump was manipulated that is clear.

P.S. So you tell me how much a CPU-only altcoin is worth if it can bring in 10 to 100 million users in a year? Let's not be too boastful shall we, because that comes right before the fall.

Edit: The potential and name recognition is already huge:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/19/this-is-what-people-in-9-emerging-markets-think-about-bitcoin-survey/

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2013, 09:39:20 PM

The China news pump and dump was manipulated that is clear.

100% Agree.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 09:08:23 AM

I have been fervently upgrading my methodology regarding this exponential trendline issue. Currently the model which I personally use contains the following data:

- Before Mt.Gox, fixed 0.005
- After Mt.Gox until 31.12.2012, Mt.Gox daily volume weighted average
- 1.1.2013 and later, VWA of Mt.Gox, Bitstamp and BTC China daily VWA's.

The trendline is recalculated monthly back in time (to reflect the trendline available in any point of time in history) and will be recalculated biweekly in the future. The model did not seem to be least squares but rather simple fit (equal area above and below trendline). The slope of the trend is established very well during the last year - the recalculations of 2013 have seen the slope fluctuating in the band of only 2.9%, and the price has moved from below to above, to below, to above, and again down towards the trendline. Others use Mt.Gox data and ignore the history before 17.7.2010. This results in a trend which is 15% less steep in logarithmic scale, and shows the current price ($600) as even more overvalued than my model.

This model has given insight on the buyback level after the crash has played itself out. As such, it would be foolhardy to assume that the current crash would play itself out exactly as the April one did. But the trendline analysis seems to confirm the essential similarities to such a degree that we can make an informed guess on how low to go and when. It seems inevitable that we will touch the trendline soon on a daily basis (in the recent dip it was only crossed in BTC China and Bitstamp, and not on a daily VWA). After touching it, we will go below it. Last summer we spent 158 days at an average of -0.222 log units (-40%) below the trendline. This period started 55 days after the top.

Today the trendline is at $446 and growth is $3.15 daily. There are many ways to try to estimate how quickly we will go to -40% below trendline. One (obviously arbitrary) method is to take the final capitulation of the last bubble, and compare its duration from the top and price level relative to trendline. That would suggest a $339 capitulation in 26.2.2014.

The last bubble saw 3 distinct buying opportunities, 2 of which happened relatively quickly after the top as dips/flashcrashes, and the 3rd one was the final capitulation much after that lasted for days. Now we have only seen one flashcrash that has taken us to long-term buy levels, so at least one more is expected. The reason for the expectation is not that there is some cosmic magic that the two bubbles should play out similarly (afaik there is not) but that the trendline, which has taken into account the exchange rate over the course of Bitcoin's history (and thus is the sum of every factor ever that has, could have or will have affected the price) suggests we are overvalued, and the downtrend will quite likely end only when this overvaluation is purged. This is deeply rooted in experience from other markets over centuries. Don't jump under the train that's falling from the sky.

If this thread is to help us in speculation, the advice it would give is as follows:
- Do not buy back yet in $500, for that would be catching the falling knife. Even if it bounces back from above $500, it will come down again. Last summer the final one was weeks after the interest had started to wane. When my usual critics don't care to argue any more but have thrown in the towel and don't care anymore, then we will have cheap coins. It is more likely than not that $3XX will come.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 01:09:49 PM

So a bottom perhaps somewhat above the April ATH?  Which also is likely a strong psychological price point as well.  I guess the big question is what happens if it falls below that?

I can see that happening only temporarily, as a result of a witchhunt on exchanges or something. If moving fiat around was not cumbersome, bitcoin would be much higher and especially volatility in the dips would be milder.

Don't really think it would matter anything. My buys don't extend that low, because I don't regard it as probable enough to be willing to hold fiat for that opportunity. But I would maybe sell $200k worth of gold and silver, if that would net me 1,000 bitcoins in the event of a prolonged fall to that price.

266 is not even that much undervalued really. We were more undervalued in the end of 2012 Smiley

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:18:17 PM

266 is not even that much undervalued really. We were more undervalued in the end of 2012 Smiley

You have a weird look at undervalued. If we follow the trendline in price even prices WAY above the trendline are undervalued prices (by lot) because there isn't an asset in the world that brings matches the slope of growth of the trendline. You need enormous discount rates for Bitcoin to be overvalued at ~1k even (assuming the trendline is a given).

I think with undervalued you mean below the trendline. That's not the definition most of the world would use Smiley

With or without the trend, Bitcoin was more undervalued in 2012 than now  Grin

I totally agree with that statement. I think it's still MASSIVELY undervalued today however. Best risk-adjusted return on the planet for investing in today.
FiatKiller

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 02:50:06 PM

The news about overstock.com accepting BTC in Q2, 2104 really wowed my non-crypto friends. I think more and more regular people are waking up to the fact that crypto is becoming normal in some form ultimately. Bitcoin may lose out to another crypto, but one will win for sure.

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 03:00:34 PM

The news about overstock.com accepting BTC in Q2, 2104 really wowed my non-crypto friends. I think more and more regular people are waking up to the fact that crypto is becoming normal in some form ultimately. Bitcoin may lose out to another crypto, but one will win for sure.

Yes, if it doesn't I must be complete and totally wrong. I can't see how crypto can NOT play a major role in the coming decades at least.

But then again, it's very unlikely for another crypto to overtake Bitcoin as Bitcoin can incorporate almost any new thing altcoins come up with. Unless something truly revolutionary (such as Bitcoin itself) comes along. But Bitcoin took 3000 years of civilization (and 86 years since the transistor and 41 years since the Arpanet) to be invented. So I'm guessing that's not very likely, and if it is, not many assets are going to be safe from it anyway as nothing is truly safe from Bitcoin today (maybe non-financial stocks are kind of isolated).
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 05:59:40 PM

The news about overstock.com accepting BTC in Q2, 2104 really wowed my non-crypto friends.

That really wowed me as well. I mean waiting til almost all of the coins are mined before accepting them.  That is a shrewd move, I hope it pays off for overstock.   Wink  Tongue

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1017

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 10:04:36 AM

You have a weird look at undervalued. If we follow the trendline in price even prices WAY above the trendline are undervalued prices (by lot) because there isn't an asset in the world that brings matches the slope of growth of the trendline. You need enormous discount rates for Bitcoin to be overvalued at ~1k even (assuming the trendline is a given).

I think with undervalued you mean below the trendline. That's not the definition most of the world would use Smiley

With or without the trend, Bitcoin was more undervalued in 2012 than now  Grin

I totally agree with that statement. I think it's still MASSIVELY undervalued today however. Best risk-adjusted return on the planet for investing in today.

And what would be a "fair value" (as analyst tend to call it) for 1 Bitcoin? $100k? $300K?

BOA says $1300, but that looks as a number pulled from their asses.

rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 10:13:23 AM

Maybe more.

iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:46:45 PM

In my understanding, number of bitcoin users now is only 350,000, less than a million at least.

When it reaches 100 million, we are still in early adopter phase in global scale.

It is very important to realize that all growth has its limits, and the limit for bitcoin growth is that it replaces all other liquid wealth. That would lead the purchasing power to be in several million$ range. A more conservative scenario, that of replacing gold, would put the price at $300k/BTC.

The problem with your estimate is, is that you forget Bitcoin isn't the best coin.

The other altcoins like Feathercoin and Peercoin use less energy/need less miners/have 30times faster transaction times/have more coins/better in every category. Might take another year or two, but the coins with the most benefits will be the higher echelon coins, specifically not Bitcoin(unless someone completely changes everything about it to make it better in every way shape and form).

Bitcoin is only extremely more popular for it's capitalization on early mover and early promoter in the beginning. Other coins will easily be worth more.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:57:47 PM

The problem with your estimate is, is that you forget Bitcoin isn't the best coin.

The other altcoins like Feathercoin and Peercoin use less energy/need less miners/have 30times faster transaction times/have more coins/better in every category. Might take another year or two, but the coins with the most benefits will be the higher echelon coins, specifically not Bitcoin(unless someone completely changes everything about it to make it better in every way shape and form).

Bitcoin is only extremely more popular for it's capitalization on early mover and early promoter in the beginning. Other coins will easily be worth more.

Bitcoin is the best coin in the eyes of rich people like me. The energy and miners need be there (the coin economics do not work without it), the confirmations are not reliable if they are much faster than Bitcoin's. "Have more coins" is a joke.

It is possible that there are fringe uses for other coins in the future, but to me it looks unrealistic that all the other coins combined would reach even 25% of Bitcoin's market cap. Main reason why anyone would think otherwise is that they don't have as many bitcoins as they would like to have, and want to amend that the easy way.

bitrider

Activity: 233
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:26:58 PM

The energy and miners need be there (the coin economics do not work without it),

Hey RP, may be a little off topic, but can you point me to a thread that explains this more thoroughly? I think I understand why the miners need to be there - what about the energy?
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1017

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:19:39 PM

The energy and miners need be there (the coin economics do not work without it),

Hey RP, may be a little off topic, but can you point me to a thread that explains this more thoroughly? I think I understand why the miners need to be there - what about the energy?

FYI: http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

The basics are all on the original whitepaper.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 12:00:16 PM

Energy costs money, thus adding value to the coins.
If it costs to make it is more valuable than if it is free.

That's untrue. Bitcoin would work even if no energy was consumed by mining. Look up Proof of Stake, for example.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
mgburks77

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 01:07:02 PM

Those factors exist to create difficulty in creation which turn controls the supply and distribution.

Basically it makes bitcoins rare and difficult to produce and because they are hard to produce or counterfeit they are useful as a medium of exchange. If you could mint a bitcoin by simply taking a piece of paper and writing bitcoin on it anyone could make them and would, rendering the unit of account useless for exchange.
bitrider

Activity: 233
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:30:42 PM

Thanks for responses guys. I'm pretty sure this belongs elsewhere.

I am quite familiar with white paper and how/why bitcoin uses POW. I am trying to get to my own understanding of whether so much energy is required for the POW in the long-term. It may in fact be essential, as RP suggested. However, as we go forward the energy expenditures become absolutely massive, and something about that seems "wrong" and "unnecessary" to me. Maybe it is what a global universal ledger/blockchain requires and it will displace many other wasteful energy expenditures, but I think there must be a better way. I understand POS is another way to go, with its own challenges/limitations. Anyway I need to dive deeper.

I'll bring these questions to another thread.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: