Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:06:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A strike against PayPal has started - #OpPaypal  (Read 8720 times)
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 07:50:24 PM

Quote from: GeniuSxBoY link=topic=32226.msg404000#msg404000
Furthermore, any replacement will have the same policies because they have to.

No they don't. Bank transfers don't involve nearly as many draconian and arbitrary restrictions as Paypal.  They also get abused for fraud and other criminal activity, but banks don't police their costumers like paypal does.  Banks leave that job to, you know, the police, and cooperate with the police if and only if required to do so.  

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 07:53:56 PM

Quote from: GeniuSxBoY link=topic=32226.msg404000#msg404000
Furthermore, any replacement will have the same policies because [u
they have to.[/u]

No they don't. Bank transfers don't involve nearly as many draconian and arbitrary restrictions as Paypal.  They also get abused for fraud and other criminal activity, but banks don't police their costumers like paypal does.  Banks leave that job to, you know, the police, and cooperate with the police if and only if required to do so.  

What world do you live in?

Be humble!
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 07:57:42 PM

No they don't. BankBitcoin transfers don't involve nearly as many any draconian and arbitrary restrictions as like Paypal.  They also get abused for fraud and other criminal activity, but banks don't police their costumers like paypal does.  Banks leave that job to, you know, the police, and cooperate with the police if and only if required to do so.  

my dream world

GeniuSxBoY

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 08:07:31 PM

No they don't. BankBitcoin transfers don't involve nearly as many any draconian and arbitrary restrictions as like Paypal.  They also get abused for fraud and other criminal activity, but banks don't police their costumers like paypal does.  Banks leave that job to, you know, the police, and cooperate with the police if and only if required to do so.  

my dream world

You love it... until your lifesavings is stolen from you. Then all of a sudden it's not a dream anymore.

Be humble!
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 08:13:03 PM

You love it... until your lifesavings is stolen from you. Then all of a sudden it's not a dream anymore.

the same thing is far more likely to happen, except through inflation with usd, unless you hold your life savings in gold/silver or some other goods.

using proper security like having an offline backup of you wallet is always good, and once we get the supported method of exporting private keys, we could keep them safe from EMPs and longer periods of time. if your key is really important you could laser embed it inside a gemstone, then it would be safe against fires and such.

enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 08:13:50 PM

PayPal account closed. Haven't used it since I discovered bitcoin anyway, though for some reason I do still have the little authenticator keyfob on my keychain...
GeniuSxBoY

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 11:48:35 PM

Closing an account you don't use is going to hurt them good. It's intelligent to keep your options limited. Smiley

Be humble!
The_JMiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:38:38 AM

Closing an account you don't use is going to hurt them good. It's intelligent to keep your options limited. Smiley

This is why sarcasm font is needed.

elements

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 03:42:22 AM

Look at this thread:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=32467.0

it's brand new and like paypal for bitcoins (without the paypal nazi component of course)

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:09:54 AM

Where I live banking secrecy is still regarded as something of a human right even though it has been eroded in recent years.   I'm not saying that banks are angels, but I'm not going to have my bank account frozen for legally buying some cuban cigars, that's for sure.   A bank would need very good reasons (such a a court order) to do the kinds of things paypal does almost as a matter of routine.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 08:24:00 AM

Where I live banking secrecy is still regarded as something of a human right even though it has been eroded in recent years.

Really? Where do you live, if you don't mind answering? Switzerland? Some small island?

And, how bad has such right eroded in recent years? If, just hypothetically, you receive a good amount of undeclared money in your bank account, say, for selling some digital good that appreciated considerably and not paying taxes on it, will the bank be required to transmit such info to the government mafia or will they remain quiet unless some scumbag judge requires the data?

Thank you, and sorry everyone else for the off-topic.
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 08:37:57 AM

Good riddance, I friggin HATE paypal.  They tell me the buyers' accounts "could" have been hacked and they refund all the money to the (bitcoin) purchaser.  Wouldn't it be Paypal's responsibility to not get hacked?  or the account holder?  What about proof of account intrusion from an unfamiliar IP? Nope, screw over the eBay sellers.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 09:15:42 AM

Where I live banking secrecy is still regarded as something of a human right even though it has been eroded in recent years.
Really? Where do you live, if you don't mind answering? Switzerland? Some small island?

From his profile page:
Cheesy

Most countries have anti money-laundering policies for their banks but the difference is that with Paypal you are solely at the mercy of a private company, often even outside the jurisdiction of your own country (if you don't happen to live in the US). That's why they can get away with freezing accounts more or less at will.

It's true that Paypal has to be very careful with their transactions because it's just too easy for them to get into trouble. That's why they often act on suspicion and show preemptive obedience. The whole thing becomes a problem when a good part of your personal life is controlled by private companies which don't have to care about such dated principles like "innocent until proven guilty". Being denied a service from a private company is often something you can't do anything about and which said company doesn't even have to state a good reason for.
It's difficult enough already to identify the actual interest groups behind politicians - when politics is outsourced to private companies it's next to impossible.

Banks/payment processors, social networks, search engines, ISPs,... Who's next?

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
timmey

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 09:22:13 AM

To myself: calm down, simply send an e-mail requesting they manually close the account.
Go to "contact us".

Select the "closing account" as the subject... can't write the mail! They removed the space to do it!

RAAAAAAGE!
You still can call them. Or would that be too much social interaction?  Wink
jashan

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 09:47:44 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2011, 09:59:18 AM by jashan

#oppaypal is top in Twitter's trendlist in Germany. [EDIT: And second in Australia] This is big!

Now post #oppaypal and links to the best articles you can find about bitcoin with #oppaypal and #bitcoin on Twitter, Facebook ... whereever you can. Let's push this a little ;-)
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699

Your Minion

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 10:13:14 AM

http://pastebin.com/p5V76W8s

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
cloon

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:14:34 PM

if you compare the Ebay chart with google, nasdaq, yahoo or dow jones, you can see, that they are quite similar... so i think the operation paypal has (nearly) no influence to the ebay value. right?

donations to 13zWUMSHA7AzGjqWmJNhJLYZxHmjNPKduY
Johnny Pizza

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:24:44 PM

Never had a problem with PayPal myself  Cool I only speak for myself but if you use it properly, they don't mess with Johnny  Cool
TheBitMan

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2011, 02:33:34 PM

Looks like it's working

https://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:EBAY
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2011, 02:41:06 PM

Now post #oppaypal and links to the best articles you can find about bitcoin with #oppaypal and #bitcoin on Twitter, Facebook ... whereever you can. Let's push this a little ;-)

Done!
Made a link to the "Security now Episode 287 Bitcoin CryptoCurrency" video on Youtube.
This guy explains it so well.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: