Bitcoin Forum
December 13, 2017, 05:33:11 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite movie?  (Read 11410 times)
TheNewAnon135246
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 04:17:14 PM

I have a 46" full HD 3D LED tv, the mediaplayer has 1080p output and I have a 600W 7.1 surround sound system. I always download the movies in the highest quality available so it shouldn't ruin the experience. Some movies need to be seen in cinemas though Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FirstAscent

Activity: 812

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 04:18:12 PM

Too many to count, World War Z, Iron Man 3, Thor, Men of Steel and ETC

Have you started watching cinema 3 months ago?

ROFL!

2 of my favorite Movies...:
PulpFiction & 4Rooms
There are so much more...but these 2 automatically come spontaneous to my mind when it's been asked about.

4Rooms was really good. Jackie Brown is one of my personal Tarantino favourites.

Like Tarantino, do you? Well, Tarantino likes Wong Kar-Wai - you know - four of the films on my list are from Wong Kar-Wai. Here's Tarantino on Chungking Express: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHg-RvcwzE

By the way, there are certain scenes in Tarantino films that I just love. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlu_xo79k8

Thanks for the Info - I'll gonna check it out!

Wong Kar-Wai is a treasure. I suggest you explore his films starting with these four, in this order:

- Chungking Express
- Days of Being Wild
- In the Mood for Love

The first is rather lighthearted. The others are heavier. They all benefit from repeated viewings. Also, the last three are part of a loose trilogy, whose proper order is:

Days of Being Wild
In the Mood for Love

But when I say loose, I mean loose. You can watch them in any order. I suggest 2046 first. But remember, you really won't grasp the deeper meditations without watching them multiple times. The journey is well worth it. You're in for something wonderful.
FirstAscent

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 04:24:53 PM

I have a 46" full HD 3D LED tv, the mediaplayer has 1080p output and I have a 600W 7.1 surround sound system. I always download the movies in the highest quality available so it shouldn't ruin the experience. Some movies need to be seen in cinemas though Tongue

Hence my intense research into what equipment will provide the best experience. A large screen matters. And upscaling algorithms matter as well. Ultimately, I want a viewing distance to screen width ration of about 1.1 to 1.4 to give that theater like experience. But unless you have the proper upscaling equipment, DVDs will never hold up at that distance. And there are a lot of critically acclaimed films which just aren't going to get the 1080p treatment anytime soon.

The best I've seen so far is an Oppo Blu-ray player (which has HDMI in as well as out to allow for incoming sources) coupled to a JVC eshift-2 projector. The Oppo can upscale to 4k, but that's not as important as the quality of its upscaling to 1080p. The JVC line of projectors are the only ones which output a pseudo 4k image outside of the Sony projector, which runs $24,000. However, the eshift-2 technology does some interesting stuff with the pixels. I recently tested a DVD in the system and was blown away by the upscaled quality. Bear in mind that I've tested quite a number of DVDs and Blu-rays in various systems for the purpose of evaluating image fidelity on large screens.
FirstAscent

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 04:32:56 PM

The system I evaluated:

- Oppo BDP-105 Player: http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/

- JVC DLA-X55R 4k eshift-2 Projector: http://procision.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029154&pathId=71&page=10

- McIntosh MX121 preamplifier: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=hometheaterprocessors&ProductId=MX121

- McIntosh MC8207 Amplifier: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=newproducts&ProductId=MC8207

I was quite impressed with how monaural soundtracks from older films published by Criterion were made to sound very rich and natural with the McIntosh audio equipment.
TheNewAnon135246
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 05:09:16 PM

The system I evaluated:

- JVC DLA-X55R 4k eshift-2 Projector: http://procision.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029154&pathId=71&page=10

- McIntosh MX121 preamplifier: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=hometheaterprocessors&ProductId=MX121

- McIntosh MC8207 Amplifier: http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=newproducts&ProductId=MC8207

I was quite impressed with how monaural soundtracks from older films published by Criterion were made to sound very rich and natural with the McIntosh audio equipment.

That's an awesome setup. I hope I can offord it one day Tongue. What kind of setup do you have?
xkeyscore89

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:17:24 PM

Snatch or Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.
FirstAscent

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 05:22:48 PM

The system I evaluated:

That's an awesome setup. I hope I can offord it one day Tongue. What kind of setup do you have?

It is indeed an awesome setup. The units cost, respectively, about $1,000, $5,000, $6,000 and $6,000. I too hope I can afford it someday soon.

I currently have a Samsung Blu-ray player coupled to a Samsung 40" LCD. I was an early adopter (back in late 2007), but it's time for a serious upgrade.

Some notes about the dream setup mentioned:

The Oppo Blu-ray player has some sophisticated upscaling technology both to 1080p and 4k. Good upscaling can work wonders. Bad upscaling is just bad. A lot goes into the algorithms. It also features HDMI in, which allows other sources to be piped into the player to benefit from its image processing technology.

The JVC eshift-2 projector then receives the 1080p signal from the Oppo player, and upscales it to 4k applying its own sophisticated methods which use a 21 x 21 pixel matrix to intelligently generate the upscaled pixels. It then applies a rapid projection of the original 1080p image followed by a projection of the upscaled pixels shifted by half a pixel up and to the left. Regardless of what you might intuit from this description, the resulting image is astounding. There appears to be more detail, very sharp edges, and it all has a wonderful organic feel to it, rather than some of the over processed imagery you see in other processed and upscaled images.
lateblooming

Activity: 297

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 06:32:53 PM

ROFL!

PulpFiction & 4Rooms
There are so much more...but these 2 automatically come spontaneous to my mind when it's been asked about.

4Rooms was really good. Jackie Brown is one of my personal Tarantino favourites.

Like Tarantino, do you? Well, Tarantino likes Wong Kar-Wai - you know - four of the films on my list are from Wong Kar-Wai. Here's Tarantino on Chungking Express: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHg-RvcwzE

By the way, there are certain scenes in Tarantino films that I just love. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlu_xo79k8

Wong Kar-Wai is a treasure. I suggest you explore his films starting with these four, in this order:

- Chungking Express
- Days of Being Wild
- In the Mood for Love

The first is rather lighthearted. The others are heavier. They all benefit from repeated viewings. Also, the last three are part of a loose trilogy, whose proper order is:

Days of Being Wild
In the Mood for Love

But when I say loose, I mean loose. You can watch them in any order. I suggest 2046 first. But remember, you really won't grasp the deeper meditations without watching them multiple times. The journey is well worth it. You're in for something wonderful.

Thanks a lot!!! I'll definitely check those out!
FirstAscent

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:56:46 PM

ROFL!

PulpFiction & 4Rooms

- Chungking Express
- Days of Being Wild
- In the Mood for Love

Days of Being Wild
In the Mood for Love

Thanks a lot!!! I'll definitely check those out!

It really helps if you become more participative when exploring Asian cinema, or any cinema outside of the Hollywood machine. What I mean is, build a familiarity with the director and his favorite themes. Try and understand the director's message, his methods, his style, and so on. Build a familiarity with the actors. Build a familiarity with the origins of the films and their themes through an improved understanding of their time and setting.

Quentin Tarantino helps to give some background to Wong Kar-Wai in that video link I posted. But that's only a start. Asian film scholar Tony Rayns has done some nice commentaries and discussions on Wong Kar-Wai films, as well as other Asian directors. David Bordwell has also done some nice studies of Wong Kar-Wai films. Wong's films bear study and analysis. You'll find Chungking Express to be fairly light, but his other films are pretty deep.

Furthermore, Wong Kar-Wai films have distinctive style of cinematography and style of cutting, in addition to a non linear form that can be simultaneously puzzling and interesting. You're in for a cerebral and visually beautiful journey, not to mention amazing soundtracks.
FirstAscent

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:54:04 AM

These must be behind Avatar though, since you said Avatar is the best movie ever. Here's a question for you: what is it that makes Avatar the best movie ever?
rampalija

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 06:53:01 AM

And now for something different. I also like these films:

- X-Men: First Class
- Pride & Prejudice (Keira Knightley version)
- Jane Eyre (Michael Fassbender version)
- Never Let Me Go
- An Education
- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Hugo
- Iron Man
- Blade Runner

like for X men   Smiley

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Java, PHP, HTML/CSS Programmer for Hire!

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 06:57:07 AM

And now for something different. I also like these films:

- X-Men: First Class
- Pride & Prejudice (Keira Knightley version)
- Jane Eyre (Michael Fassbender version)
- Never Let Me Go
- An Education
- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Hugo
- Iron Man
- Blade Runner

like for X men   Smiley

2001 is a classic I love that! It is what I imagine the future to be like.

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
TheNewAnon135246
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2013, 09:10:49 AM

These must be behind Avatar though, since you said Avatar is the best movie ever. Here's a question for you: what is it that makes Avatar the best movie ever?

I would like to hear an answer to this question aswel. It did have the best 3D effects in a movie so far imo. Most 3D movies just have a little depth in them, but Avatar really utilised the possibilities 3D has to offer.
golikcoin
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:49:51 AM

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy (the book Cool )

my favourite movie is probably big fish  Wink

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
easynote

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:51:33 AM

My favorite films are all of Harry Potter Cheesy

▃▃▃▌▌  STORIQA  ▐▐▃▃▃▃
Global marketplace
FirstAscent

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 03:27:48 PM

I would like to hear an answer to this question aswel. It did have the best 3D effects in a movie so far imo. Most 3D movies just have a little depth in them, but Avatar really utilised the possibilities 3D has to offer.

When the ride like qualities of a film are its best features, then it's best to compare it to rides at an amusement park, rather than the best cinema has to offer, which is far more. Avatar can never compare to the likes of the films I've been mentioning, plain and simple. It simply lacks the best of what cinema has to offer.
FirstAscent

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 06:49:47 PM

I bet you read the books. It seems that those who read the books really like the films. I couldn't get into them, not because I felt there was anything really wrong with the films, except that I couldn't follow what was going on, or whatever was happening wasn't holding my attention.

Anyway, the Harry Potter films are behind you. Now you can focus on all those wonderful films I've been mentioning.
MrHempstock

Activity: 140

"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:13:05 PM

Hence my intense research into what equipment will provide the best experience. A large screen matters. And upscaling algorithms matter as well. Ultimately, I want a viewing distance to screen width ration of about 1.1 to 1.4 to give that theater like experience. But unless you have the proper upscaling equipment, DVDs will never hold up at that distance. And there are a lot of critically acclaimed films which just aren't going to get the 1080p treatment anytime soon.

The best I've seen so far is an Oppo Blu-ray player (which has HDMI in as well as out to allow for incoming sources) coupled to a JVC eshift-2 projector. The Oppo can upscale to 4k, but that's not as important as the quality of its upscaling to 1080p. The JVC line of projectors are the only ones which output a pseudo 4k image outside of the Sony projector, which runs $24,000. However, the eshift-2 technology does some interesting stuff with the pixels. I recently tested a DVD in the system and was blown away by the upscaled quality. Bear in mind that I've tested quite a number of DVDs and Blu-rays in various systems for the purpose of evaluating image fidelity on large screens.

+1 on Oppo players. I've coupled them with JVC, SIM2 Seleco, and Runco projectors. There is no comperable (price/quality-wise) bluray manufacturer on the market.

And McIntosh has spoiled me. (Got my "McMasters" certification at their home base in Binghamton, NY)

I'm rocking TCL LEDs through the house now because I don't have the right space for front projection and they were all 240Hz (bought them a year ago). Picture quality is above average, but I try not to nitpick at home. I calibrate displays (ISF - Imaging Sciences Foundation certified) all the time at work, and I really don't want to whip out the Sencore when I get home. I want to relax. Plus, when home gear isn't the best of the best I'd rather wait and invest my time perfecting a system once it's actually capable of being perfected.  Grin (Integra DTR 10.6, Wharfedale reference LCRs)
Soon I'll be adding 10" and 12" Sunfire subs. McIntosh will happen when I find the right pieces for the right prices.

BTCitcointalk 1%ers manipulate the currency and deceive its user community.
Zawamiya

Activity: 535

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 01:44:51 AM

Same here...
FirstAscent

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:54:50 AM

+1 on Oppo players. I've coupled them with JVC, SIM2 Seleco, and Runco projectors. There is no comperable (price/quality-wise) bluray manufacturer on the market.

And McIntosh has spoiled me. (Got my "McMasters" certification at their home base in Binghamton, NY)

I'm rocking TCL LEDs through the house now because I don't have the right space for front projection and they were all 240Hz (bought them a year ago). Picture quality is above average, but I try not to nitpick at home. I calibrate displays (ISF - Imaging Sciences Foundation certified) all the time at work, and I really don't want to whip out the Sencore when I get home. I want to relax. Plus, when home gear isn't the best of the best I'd rather wait and invest my time perfecting a system once it's actually capable of being perfected.  Grin (Integra DTR 10.6, Wharfedale reference LCRs)
Soon I'll be adding 10" and 12" Sunfire subs. McIntosh will happen when I find the right pieces for the right prices.

So you definitely have a lot of hands on experience with high end products. Tell me this: what pipeline of equipment has produced the best upscaled DVD image you've ever seen? Assume I'm talking about large screens and relatively close viewing distances - or more accurately, screen to distance viewing ratios that absolutely demand high fidelity imagery.

Secondly, have you had any experience with monaural soundtracks on older films, and the equipment which can make it sound natural and impressive?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.