Bitcoin Forum
December 15, 2017, 04:59:43 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite movie?  (Read 11410 times)
pabloangello
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 06:48:20 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Pi (this one about numbers not lion on boat)
Into The Wild

and probably few more I dont remember right now

That is a very typical and predictable list to be found on a nerdy tech site. Monstrously predictable. Typically mundane.

Sorry man. There's a bright side though. You've got some great stuff to discover if you want to look.

We are talking about favorite movies not a good movies worth seeing that I also like but not so much like the mentioned ones Wink

You misunderstand. The ones you mentioned are your favorites because you haven't explored enough cinema. That's all. I envy you immensely. You've got so much great stuff to look forward to seeing.
I would happily check a few good movies if you could recommend me. I've checked movies lists on imdb and other websites lots of times, saw really lot of great movies and if you can surprise me I will be really glad Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FirstAscent

Activity: 812

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 06:53:50 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

That is a very typical and predictable list to be found on a nerdy tech site. Monstrously predictable. Typically mundane.

Sorry man. There's a bright side though. You've got some great stuff to discover if you want to look.

We are talking about favorite movies not a good movies worth seeing that I also like but not so much like the mentioned ones Wink

You misunderstand. The ones you mentioned are your favorites because you haven't explored enough cinema. That's all. I envy you immensely. You've got so much great stuff to look forward to seeing.
I would happily check a few good movies if you could recommend me. I've checked movies lists on imdb and other websites lots of times, saw really lot of great movies and if you can surprise me I will be really glad Smiley

My recommendations usually require a little bit of romancing. They are like first dates with a type of woman you're not familiar with. Give it time. As you build familiarity with the actors, the directors, the styles, the film grammar, the themes, your cinematic experience will grow, and the pleasure you derive will increase. But it takes a little bit of time. Your first impressions might not be your final impressions. You need to go into this with a fresh mind, anticipation, and a desire to absorb something new. Can you do that?
pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 06:56:47 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

My recommendations usually require a little bit of romancing. They are like first dates with a type of woman you're not familiar with. Give it time. As you build familiarity with the actors, the directors, the styles, the film grammar, the themes, your cinematic experience will grow, and the pleasure you derive will increase. But it takes a little bit of time. Your first impressions might not be your final impressions. You need to go into this with a fresh mind, anticipation, and a desire to absorb something new. Can you do that?
Absolutely. 99.9% of the time I watch movies completely alone in silence and darkness around. Just me and the movie.

FirstAscent

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:00:01 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

Absolutely. 99.9% of the time I watch movies completely alone in silence and darkness around. Just me and the movie.

The directors I recommend are typically considered to be auteurs. Their style is recognizable, and unique. They each have their favorite themes to explore, and they do it well. They're critically acclaimed. They're discussed in blogs, praised in reviews, and they show up at the top of polls. Other directors praise them. Some of the films are older, even black and white. Others are modern and new. And, god forbid, most have subtitles. Are you okay with that?
pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 07:03:28 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

The directors I recommend are typically considered to be auteurs. Their style is recognizable, and unique. They each have their favorite themes to explore, and they do it well. They're critically acclaimed. They're discussed in blogs, praised in reviews, and they show up at the top of polls. Other directors praise them. Some of the films are older, even black and white. Others are modern and new. And, god forbid, most have subtitles. Are you okay with that?
Do not see the problem. I watched Nosferatu (1922) and really admired the movie. But remember people have different tastes. One prefer sweets, other spices. Movies you think are brilliant for others can mean something completely different.

FirstAscent

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:16:55 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

Do not see the problem. I watched Nosferatu (1922) and really admired the movie. But remember people have different tastes. One prefer sweets, other spices. Movies you think are brilliant for others can mean something completely different.

Sure. People have tastes. But they often mistakenly use that as an excuse for justifying why they didn't like a film. Tastes aren't the only reason people don't like a film. Other reasons are: lack of familiarity with the material; it doesn't fit their preconceived notions; they don't have enough experience extracting the subtext from the film; they haven't yet matured or had enough life experience; etc. etc. etc.

That's one of the reasons why I said your first impressions might not be your last. You might be entering a new doman (or not). As you build familiarity, your tastes can change rapidly.

Most importantly, I am not recommending obscure films that are liked by obscure persons. I am recommending films that are loved hugely by cinematically knowledgeable people. That's why I mentioned the blogs, reviews, etc. And I'm not necessarily referring to obscure blogs by obscure people.

Without googling, nor providing any opinion, just quickly answer this question: Which of the following directors have you seen films from?

Edward Yang
Hirokazu Koreeeda
Hiroshi Teshigahara
Masahiro Shinoda
Wong Kar-Wai
Mikio Naruse
Yasujiro Ozu
Kenji Mizoguchi
Stanley Kwan
Masaki Kobayashi

Never mind their apparent Asian origins. I'll expound on that further. Just answer the question.
pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 07:23:21 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

Sure. People have tastes. But they often mistakenly use that as an excuse for justifying why they didn't like a film. Tastes aren't the only reason people don't like a film. Other reasons are: lack of familiarity with the material; it doesn't fit their preconceived notions; they don't have enough experience extracting the subtext from the film; they haven't yet matured or had enough life experience; etc. etc. etc.

That's one of the reasons why I said your first impressions might not be your last. You might be entering a new doman (or not). As you build familiarity, your tastes can change rapidly.

Most importantly, I am not recommending obscure films that are liked by obscure persons. I am recommending films that are loved hugely by cinematically knowledgeable people. That's why I mentioned the blogs, reviews, etc. And I'm not necessarily referring to obscure blogs by obscure people.

Without googling, nor providing any opinion, just quickly answer this question: Which of the following directors have you seen films from?

Edward Yang
Hirokazu Koreeeda
Hiroshi Teshigahara
Masahiro Shinoda
Wong Kar-Wai
Mikio Naruse
Yasujiro Ozu
Kenji Mizoguchi
Stanley Kwan
Masaki Kobayashi

Never mind their apparent Asian origins. I'll expound on that further. Just answer the question.
Yep I agree with you. I see here lot of asian directors. I don't remember director of every movie I saw but..
You just rememberd me a few movies from east that I remember very well.
Baramui Fighter (Fighter in the wind)
Hero
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Shi mian mai fu

I do not recognize any of names you wrote but maybe these titles I wrote here would tell you something.

FirstAscent

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:33:13 PM

Edward Yang
Hirokazu Koreeeda
Hiroshi Teshigahara
Masahiro Shinoda
Wong Kar-Wai
Mikio Naruse
Yasujiro Ozu
Kenji Mizoguchi
Stanley Kwan
Masaki Kobayashi

Yep I agree with you. I see here lot of asian directors. I don't remember director of every movie I saw but..
Hero
Shi mian mai fu

I do not recognize any of names you wrote but maybe these titles I wrote here would tell you something.

The films you mentioned are martial arts films. That's fine. It's what gets distributed to the west. Most of my recommendations are not martial arts films. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with martial arts films - it's just how Americans get introduced to Asian cinema.

Notably, from the films you mentioned, at least two star Zhang Ziyi. At least one stars Tony Leung. And one stars Maggie Cheung. That's good. I think you should start with some films by Wong Kar-Wai. Most of his films star Tony Leung. At least three star Maggie Cheung. And two star Zhang Ziyi.

Zhang Ziyi's performance in a particular Wong Kar-Wai film is perhaps the best she's ever given. And another film by Wong was recently voted the greatest film of the 21st century by directors worldwide in the Sight and Sound's prestigious poll.

Wong Kar-Wai is a Hong Kong director, and qualifies as an auteur as much as anyone. I strongly recommend, for starters, Chungking Express, and then a decidedly different film, 2046. After that, Days of Being Wild and In the Mood for Love.

His films take some effort. And repeated viewings. The more you put into a Wong Kar-Wai film, the more you get out of a Wong Kar-Wai film. His films merit study and discussion. Most importantly, his films are beautiful, cinematically and thematically. They are visual feasts for the eyes. And their soundtracks are sublime.
pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 07:49:54 PM

Edward Yang
Hirokazu Koreeeda
Hiroshi Teshigahara
Masahiro Shinoda
Wong Kar-Wai
Mikio Naruse
Yasujiro Ozu
Kenji Mizoguchi
Stanley Kwan
Masaki Kobayashi

Hero
Shi mian mai fu

The films you mentioned are martial arts films. That's fine. It's what gets distributed to the west. Most of my recommendations are not martial arts films. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with martial arts films - it's just how Americans get introduced to Asian cinema.

Notably, from the films you mentioned, at least two star Zhang Ziyi. At least one stars Tony Leung. And one stars Maggie Cheung. That's good. I think you should start with some films by Wong Kar-Wai. Most of his films star Tony Leung. At least three star Maggie Cheung. And two star Zhang Ziyi.

Zhang Ziyi's performance in a particular Wong Kar-Wai film is perhaps the best she's ever given. And another film by Wong was recently voted the greatest film of the 21st century by directors worldwide in the Sight and Sound's prestigious poll.

Wong Kar-Wai is a Hong Kong director, and qualifies as an auteur as much as anyone. I strongly recommend, for starters, Chungking Express, and then a decidedly different film, 2046. After that, Days of Being Wild and In the Mood for Love.

His films take some effort. And repeated viewings. The more you put into a Wong Kar-Wai film, the more you get out of a Wong Kar-Wai film. His films merit study and discussion. Most importantly, his films are beautiful, cinematically and thematically. They are visual feasts for the eyes. And their soundtracks are sublime.
Thank you a lot for your engagement into this. I made a list of movies you recommend me and I will watch them one by one. For your information, I am not from US.
And from my side I can also reccomend you some good unnown movies you most probably do not know about. If so that's ok but let's try:

12 - by Nikita Michalkov ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0488478/ )

Let the right one it  ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/ )

and if you find this with english subtitles:

The day of wacko   ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330243/ )
really great polish movie, one of best.

FirstAscent

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 07:56:37 PM

Thank you a lot for your engagement into this. I made a list of movies you recommend me and I will watch them one by one. For your information, I am not from US.
And from my side I can also reccomend you some good unnown movies you most probably do not know about. If so that's ok but let's try:

Thank you. I know all about Let the Right One In, and its American version, Let Me In. The other two sound very interesting. I've been interested in exploring Russian and Polish cinema.

I hope our conversation isn't done. I have quite a bit more to say regarding the other directors as well as more to say about Wong Kar-Wai. There are ways to explore these movies, better viewing orders, contextual knowledge that helps and so on. I'll probably be absent for six or more hours, but please stay tuned into this thread.
pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 08:00:33 PM

Thank you. I know all about Let the Right One In, and its American version, Let Me In. The other two sound very interesting. I've been interested in exploring Russian and Polish cinema.

I hope our conversation isn't done. I have quite a bit more to say regarding the other directors as well as more to say about Wong Kar-Wai. There are ways to explore these movies, better viewing orders, contextual knowledge that helps and so on. I'll probably be absent for six or more hours, but please stay tuned into this thread.
I also hope for that. I havent thought that my post in this topic would converse into such an interesting exchange of film-art. I will reach for my memory and will digg into more not very known but inspiring movies further and let you know.

rampalija

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:38:18 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

Godfather I part is the best one for me

Welsh
Legendary

Activity: 1078

ALU - Campaign Management, Escrow & Design!

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 09:45:05 PM

Shawshank redemption is one of my favourites. The storyline is well thought out and is very intriguing. It also has a happy ending for a movie of that genre. Which did surprise me. It has some good actors. One noteworthy would be mr Gordan Freeman.

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄███████████████████▄▄
      ▄████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
    ▄█████████████▄█  ▐███████████▄
   ████████▀▀██████▌  ██▀▀██████████▄
  ██████▀ ▄██▄  ███  ▐█▄▌  ███  ▐█████
 ██████  ████▌ ▐██▌  ███  ▐██▌  ███████
██████▌  ████  ███  ▐██▌  ███  ▐████████
██████▌  ██▀▌ ▐█▀█  █▀█  ▐█▀▀  █▀███████
████████▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄████████
████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████
.TRUSTED ★ EXPERIENCED ★ READY.       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▄███████████████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀     ██████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄▀   ███████
██████▄    ▄▄█▀    ████████
█████████▄██▀      ████████
▀██████████▄▄    ████████▀
 ▀████████▄█████▄████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄████████▀▀█▀▀████████▄
 ▄██████▀▀▀  ▀  ▀████████▄
▄███████▄▄   ▄▄   ▀███████▄
██████████   ███   ████████
██████████        ▀████████
██████████   ███▌  ▐███████
▀███████▀▀   ▀▀▀  ▄███████▀
 ▀██████▄▄▄  ▄  ▄████████▀
  ▀████████▄▄█▄▄████████▀
    ▀█████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▄██▀                 ▀██▄
▄██▌ ▄▀█████████████▀▄ ▐██▄
███▌ ██▄ ▀███████▀ ▄██ ▐███
███▌ ████   ▀▀▀   ████ ▐███
███▌ ██▀▄▄██▄▄▄██▄▄▀██ ▐███
▀██▌ ▀▄█████████████▄▀ ▐██▀
 ▀██▄                 ▄██▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
    ▀█████████████████▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 10:21:18 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

Whole movie is just a definition of Classy.

rampalija

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:34:11 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

Classy and one of EPIC movies

pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 10:37:14 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

But lets see that we started topic further more than just "most best nerd movies" , lets contribute please

rampalija

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:44:00 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

But lets see that we started topic further more than just "most best nerd movies" , lets contribute please

LOL what did writer wnat to say with this ?!

pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 10:50:51 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

Just list your movies first Wink

rampalija

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 10:51:58 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

AVATAR is my favorite, and i am staying with that

pabloangello
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2013, 10:55:43 PM

Matrix
Dark City
Shawshank Redemption
Cast Away
Forest Gump
The Man From Earth
The Godfather
Into The Wild

AVATAR is my favorite, and i am staying with that
Saw that, nothing special in my opinion.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.