Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:02:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to store and forget btc?  (Read 7419 times)
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

etch the private key into a piece of metal.. EG like dog tags. then store them safely.

This.

Once you start approaching $10K worth of value in bitcoins, and plan to store them and forget them for while, I don't see any good reason NOT to have several (ideally non-rusting metal) plates etched with your keys (in plaintext.)

Distribute the copies in at least a couple of different physical locations too, places either you own or completely control, or with someone you completely trust.

Always, always remember: it's digital CASH. Protect it like cash.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
inform

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 10:50:06 PM

Nice question

i lost 4x walet for 6 or 8 months  Roll Eyes
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 10:58:52 PM

etch the private key into a piece of metal.. EG like dog tags. then store them safely.

This.

Once you start approaching $10K worth of value in bitcoins, and plan to store them and forget them for while, I don't see any good reason NOT to have several (ideally non-rusting metal) plates etched with your keys (in plaintext.)

Distribute the copies in at least a couple of different physical locations too, places either you own or completely control, or with someone you completely trust.

Always, always remember: it's digital CASH. Protect it like cash.

The private key should be split into at least two parts.  In you example, 1/2 of the key on each metal plate, and of course stored in separate locations.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 12:13:11 AM
Last edit: November 02, 2013, 02:04:04 AM by adamstgBit

If you want to go full geek you do encrypted paper wallet with brain wallet backup

1) memorize a strong password.
2) https://www.bitaddress.org/
3) encrypt the private key bitaddress generates
4) print.
5) ?
6) Profit!

edit: make damn sure to use a very very strong password for brain wallet.

seafarer124

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:15:53 AM

is Electrum OK to use?

Store your seed/password and then delete client from your computer.

When you want to use again just download Electrum again.
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:41:44 AM

Whatever you do make sure to VERIFY that you can import the private key again.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:32:17 AM

Don't use a CD or DVD because they are not robust enough! You don't know if you can read them properly in 10 years. I wouldn't even recommend USB sticks, they can die too (maybe cheap interface electronics). Make a paper wallet and copy the wallet.dat several times to a SD card from a decent manufacturer (I recommend sandisk).

The idea with the dog tag is also very good, but I think it's too expensive...

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 08:18:57 AM

If you order one online, they're around $10 USD, probably around the same for one of those dogtag machines at Walmart. You'd need to trust that no copy is kept or transmitted at that moment, though. The other way is to buy dogtag blanks online, and a upper/lowercase letter and number punch kit for $50-100 and pound them in yourself.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Stapleddiet

Activity: 89
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:25:15 AM

Don't use a CD or DVD because they are not robust enough! You don't know if you can read them properly in 10 years. I wouldn't even recommend USB sticks, they can die too (maybe cheap interface electronics). Make a paper wallet and copy the wallet.dat several times to a SD card from a decent manufacturer (I recommend sandisk).

A few bucks on a dremaltool(sp) to engrave it yourself.
Radelderth

Activity: 202
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:27:51 AM

I plan on investing 5-10k into btc and am wondering what would be the best way to store and forget about them?

bitcoin-qt, email it to yourself the backup files and set a reminder 10 years later.. Delete your bitcoin-qt after that Smiley

User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:32:17 AM

Best way.  Send them to me and I promise to forget that you did so.   Wink
2nd best way if you are planing to store it on any metal medium or in similar fashion consider altering some digits so even if someone finds it they can't just take your coins.  BTW altering 1 digit isn't enough as I learned  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316979.0

seafarer124

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:42:38 AM

A few bucks on a dremaltool(sp) to engrave it yourself.
Good idea, could engrave on a piece of stainless steel, drill a hole in the steel and screw it to somewhere hidden in your home.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 08:47:19 AM

stainless steel
Better: http://www.mtialbany.com/metals/inconel/
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 08:49:03 AM

My brother has a B&D dremel knockoff. I wonder which bit is the engraver one that keeps it from spinning out of control.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 10:40:28 AM

I have cd roms that are 20 years old and working. Nothing is 100% safe but it wont happen
That several cds and usb sticks are damaged in 5-10 years. Dont buy the cheap ones.

porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 10:59:49 AM

I plan on investing 5-10k into btc and am wondering what would be the best way to store and forget about them?

Yeah if you want to forget them send them to me Wink

I stored once 5btc:
2way: I made a brain wallet with bitaddress.org and stored the private key in an text file and put in a Truecrypt container. And saved the bitaddress.org.html.

Point of failure: password. I took the first letters of one of my all time favorite songs + two numbers. 

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 12:13:52 PM

I have burned CDs that are almost 20 years old that still read perfectly.  I don't buy the whole CD degradation thing.  I had a batch of bad CDs that degraded almost immediately (first year).  Other than that, they all work still.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:00:06 PM

I have burned CDs that are almost 20 years old that still read perfectly.  I don't buy the whole CD degradation thing.  I had a batch of bad CDs that degraded almost immediately (first year).  Other than that, they all work still.

If you want to stick to CDs, have a look at this: http://www.mdisc.com

The "M-Disk" features a stone-like surface and should last 1000 years!  Shocked

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
bitcoinchecker

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Provider of Bitcoin products and services

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 05:02:30 PM

What do you guys think of these ...

http://www.bit-card.de/cards/passphrase-protected-cards-two-factor/passphrase-protected-wallet-cards.html

Are they secure?

By secure, I mean in the process of generating the password/private key using a so-called verification key.

Are keyloggers the only thing to worry about?

Quality Bitcoin T-shirts for sale http://thevillageidiotme.ipage.com/shop.html
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1461
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 05:07:59 PM

Safepaperwallet.com

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: