Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:09:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Is Better Than Voting  (Read 1532 times)
seafarer124 (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 04:54:14 AM

For every dollar that you use to purchase Bitcoin is a vote against the establishment.

Is this correct?

When you buy BTC the cash goes into another pocket, so it is not out of circulation, it just goes somewhere else.

I suppose the cash is worth less and less which is the point.

Example, today a TV is $100 using cash, next year it will be $200.   Today a BTC will buy one TV, next year you can buy five TVs with one BTC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
seafarer124 (OP)

Activity: 302

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 04:57:26 AM

Bitcoin gives power to the majority, not the reverse.
Rluner

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:04:42 AM

Bitcoin to me is just a more advanced money system. For me it's not a vote against anything, it's a vote for a better world wide money system.
illpoet

Activity: 341

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 02:11:09 PM

yeah bitcoin in and of itself is apolitical.  Its just a well designed currency.  One thing it could be used for would be a tool of revolution/protest. Lets say as an act of civl disobedience a large amount of people started using bitcoins instead of their government mandated currency.  Part of the disobedience would be that these people would hide these bitcoins from the government ie not pay any taxes on it.  If enough people did this the government would start having serious problems funding itself.  Over time more people inside the government would be forced to also use bitcoins in order to survive. In theory this would collapse the government or at least force said government to stop being dicks to their population. 
This is just a theory.  Another theory would be that you could use bitcoins to act as the backing for an alternative government in a civil war/seperatist war.  That way when/if one government is toppled from power, the new government already has a system of exchange already in place eliminating the troublesome business of establishing legitimacy. 

again these are just theories, bitcoins are what you use them for.  Its just as likely that the establishment will start using bitcoins as a commodity and regulating/taxing the crap out of it.

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.
jorov

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 05:12:24 PM

A voting system based on Bitcoin principles would be a very good thing in my opinion.

Buying a BTC is kind of voting.

But if you can vote electronically (and cheaply) when an important decision has to be made, concerning your city, region, state or country - that would be true democracy.

May be somebody is already working on a solution in this direction.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:53:27 PM

For every dollar that you use to purchase Bitcoin is a vote against the establishment.

Is this correct?

There's some truth in that, but we're talking about a micro-minority against the almighty majority. BTC may grow one hundred-fold before the establishment needs to worry about it.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
revans

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 12:22:03 AM

Bitcoin to me is just a more advanced money system. For me it's not a vote against anything, it's a vote for a better world wide money system.

Better in what way? It certainly won't be any less iniquitous; far more so in fact.
btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 12:42:17 AM

Then you don't understand what a better world wide money system means to the masses, please do some homework.

We need people like you at the beginning stages like we are now that are well informed.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
prespendwindfall

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 11:36:20 PM

Bitcoin is better than voting.  Governments and politicians only take suggestions.  They can't even do what they want to do necessarily, but they are forced to do what their lobbyists pay them to do.  Otherwise they get taken out.  The next guy has the same problem.

Politicians need to be forced to do what is right and the only force that means anything is to be voted out of office or to change the money question.  It's all about resources.

People who control resources and thus wield power (politicians/corporations etc), can only give into other entities that have power and instill a certain level of respect through fear.

Bitcoin instills fear in the powerful and thus earns the little guy respect, because it allows us to control our own money and lives.  Now they have to negotiate with us, beg us, work with us, show us respect.  They can't just manipulate us, trick us or steal from us.

As far as I am concerned Bitcoin is merely allowing citizens to regain some of the privileges we had in the past.  Privacy in financial matters as we had in the cash days, the ability to save money without it being constantly undermined.  It's scary for the leaders to give us back our power.  They will fight to not let it happen, but from what I understand with Bitcoin it will be impossible to stop.

As far as this statement:

When you buy BTC the cash goes into another pocket, so it is not out of circulation, it just goes somewhere else.

I would say that as long as a dollar is in the regular economy, it is essentially a vacuum for the banks/governments to suck money and buying power out from people who actually 'do work'.  Once a dollar crosses over into the Bitcoin circulation, it is a dollar that grows in the hands of the working people.  It gains value over time and the banks and governments are not stealing from it or using it to trick us.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around Bitcoins implications.
HenryRomp

Activity: 174

Separation of currency and state.

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 07:02:02 AM

In my opinion, the only vote that counts is the vote you make with your wallet. And if it's a bitcoin wallet, you're voting the right way already.

Traditional ballot voting is just a sham to keep the sheep quiet by providing the illusion that those in power actually give a shit what you think.

A properly secured wallet with bitcoin is in my opinion the safest, most secure, best all-around bet for holding wealth at this moment in history. Go ahead, call me crazy. They've been calling me crazy since 2013.
https://churchofbitcoin.org/
theecoinomist

Activity: 200

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 11:22:20 AM

you could say that it is a vote against the banks as well

edit: typo

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 11:24:08 AM

It's true, before we had no recourse when it came to governments deliberately screwing us over but now you can pretty much protest against them by buying up Bitcoins and the great thing is you benefit more from that than you would staying in paper money. It's another method of voting with your wallet, before it could only be done with corporations etc. where you just don't buy their products, now you can just switch currencies if they don't behave.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2013, 03:18:53 PM

The best way to vote has always been with your dollars and real action.

alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 05:18:46 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around Bitcoins implications.

Yep!!! Me too!
HenryRomp

Activity: 174

Separation of currency and state.

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 10:43:53 PM

The best way to vote has always been with your dollars money and real action. Historically, gold has been the best money available, however now bitcoin has taken that place.

FTFY.

A properly secured wallet with bitcoin is in my opinion the safest, most secure, best all-around bet for holding wealth at this moment in history. Go ahead, call me crazy. They've been calling me crazy since 2013.
https://churchofbitcoin.org/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: