Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:19:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: create a Bitcoin Users Group in the Greater Cincinnati Area  (Read 1177 times)
qazwsxedcrfvtgb (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 05:44:50 PM

Hello,

I would like to create a Bitcoin Users Group in the Greater Cincinnati Area which servers to expand the local use of bitcoin. Presently, I am not aware of any such group, or any entity that accepts bitcoins in exchange for goods or services locally. I want this group to be a group in real life where people meet and get to know each other face to face, like in the old days, not some online virtual community where no one really knows anyone anymore. I don't use social networking websites, and don't plan to any time soon. One of the strengths of bitcoin is that it allows for private, free trade, between two parties, without middlemen, like in the old days. I'd like this community to sustain itself without being reliant on some centralized social networking website as an intermediary, manipulating the group and monitoring its every activity.

Maybe this group will develop a website similar to craigslist, focused on local bitcoin classified advertisements. Maybe this group will frequently have informational booths at local business and/or political events or local festivals, promoting the currency and educating the community. Maybe this group will approach local businesses one at a time, encouraging them to accept bitcoin at their retail locations, and providing an immediate and repeat customer base once a business does accept bitcoins, recognizing their support of the currency through increased business. Maybe this group will provide a local directory of businesses that accept or pay bitcoin in exchange for goods or services.

Maybe this group will serve as a person to person trade network. What goods or services do you have to trade? What goods or services are you willing trade bitcoin for? Do you want to babysit for bitcoins? Want to pay your babysitter with bitcoin? Do you mow lawns? Are you a painter? Are you a lawyer? Are you a farmer and willing to sell some of your fresh fruits and vegetables for bitcoin? How about automobile repair? Do you have a car you would like to sell? Do you repair or alter clothes? Do own a business and and want to accept bitcoins for all or some of your products or services. Do you have any junk lying around your home, farm or business that you would like to trade in exchange for bitcoin? Do you have property you would like to rent in exchange for bitcoin? Are you a baker, a butcher, or a candlestick maker? Are you an artisan? Are you a carpenter? Are you a musician?

Maybe this group will do all of the above.

If you are interested in developing such a group, please contact me, or you can post your response here on this forum. You can contact me via the e-mail address is qazwsxedcrfvtgb@tormail.org. I can provide a PGP public key if desired. I'm curious to know how many people in the Greater Cincinnati area have an interest in growing the bitcoin currency, and what ideas you have to do so beyond what I have suggested above. Should there be regular meetings of this group to grow the community, and if so, are there any proposed venues for initial meetings and what would be an appropriate frequency?

Thank you for your interest.

Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 05:34:16 PM

You're going to have to put up your real life identity to help start a real life group.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
qazwsxedcrfvtgb (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:38:18 PM

I don't know of anyone who is very concerned these days with meeting someone from craigslist without knowing the other party's identity, and many even arrange for a stranger to come to their home if they are selling a large item. I'll share my identity to those who actually meet in person. Someone putting in the effort to be in the same physical place is a proof of work. Although I just used a craigslist sale as an example, I do think it would be better for the group to meet in a public place and not someone's home, at least initially.
qazwsxedcrfvtgb (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:03:11 AM

Someone more organized than me has created a meetup.com page:

http://www.meetup.com/Cincinnati-Bitcoin/

I am planning to attend this.
Bitcoin Merchant

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:06:23 AM

Its going to be awkward I think...
Surf Capital Management

Activity: 213
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 03:45:54 PM

I'm looking forward to it. It'll be interesting to meet other people enthusiastic about Bitcoin.
kodo

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 04:28:56 PM

what state would this be in?
eltonjock

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:46:53 PM

I plan on attending!  I really hope we can bring more BTC awareness to Cincy.  I commend you for trying to start this.  Smiley
eltonjock

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 03:47:15 PM

what state would this be in?

Ohio, USA
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 03:33:47 AM

LOL, frickin LOL.  I was in Cincinnati for business Wed June 19 for over night... *Facepalm*

Well hopefully, I can catch up with you on the next one.

I'm starting a meetup in Cleveland and hope to have it at a restaurant that accepts bitcoins in the next couple weeks (had my first successful transaction today)!

There are no restaurants in Cincinnati that accept bitcoin at this time, correct?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Cincy_Ron

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 01:13:44 PM

October meetup was a good time, and enjoyed meeting everyone!  Garrett of Surf Capitol sold me some bitcoin for cash, I bought a music cd from one of the guys for bitcoin, and saw a USB block erupter for the first time.  On another note, I drank three $1 beers, and walked out of the place totally forgetting the close my tab out!  Doh.  Looks like I'll have to drive all the way up the Westchester next week to pick up my credit card.  Anyway, hoping to make the next meetup.

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 01:25:19 PM

October meetup was a good time, and enjoyed meeting everyone!  Garrett of Surf Capitol sold me some bitcoin for cash, I bought a music cd from one of the guys for bitcoin, and saw a USB block erupter for the first time.  On another note, I drank three $1 beers, and walked out of the place totally forgetting the close my tab out!  Doh.  Looks like I'll have to drive all the way up the Westchester next week to pick up my credit card.  Anyway, hoping to make the next meetup.

If only you could just send them bitcoin Wink

Perhaps next time your meetup is at that location, they'll be setup?

If you're up for joining the mining game, KnC Miner is a great opportunity right now!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: