Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:16:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 4x BitFury Chips STOLEN  (Read 2473 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
volosator (OP)

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 02:59:41 PM

On Wednesday, October 30th 2013 I was leaving from Russia going to USA from DME airport. In my checked in luggage I had 4 chips right next to a camera, laptop and an iPhone. A lock was cut and chips went missing. There was 4 of them, in the original package.

I hope that you and your kids get cancer. I hope it would be slow and very painful, following by painful death. I hope that human genome would clear itself from such assholes like you. Folks are paying $100 for extra bag so airline companies can pay your salary. I refuse to finance you and I will take it to the Lufthansa. I hope they trace you and cut your balls off.

Дopoгaя poccийcкaя тaмoжня aэpoпopтa дoмoдeдoвo: нaдeюcь вы пoдaвитecь этими чипaми. Кaкими нyжнo быть yблюдкaми чтoбы вopoвaть из cyмoк, кoтopыe люди coбиpaют, плaтят зa пepeвec, т.e. фaктичecки плaтят вaм зapплaтy? Я xoчy пoжeлaть вaм и вaшим дeтям paкa, чтoбы co вpeмeнeм чeлoвeчecкий гeнoфoнд caмooчиcтилcя oт тaкиx yблюдкoв кaк вы и иx пoтoмкoв. Пoтpaчeнa кyчa вpeмeни в пoиcкe, ceйчac я бyдy paзбиpaтьcя c aвиaкoмпaниeй, нaдeюcь чтo вac нaйдyт и oтopвyт вaм яйцa!

Just FYI.

EDIT: Only chips went missing and lock was cut. iPhone, laptop, all other stuff has arrived in the bag to USA.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 03:00:39 PM

So only the chips were stolen?
volosator (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 03:01:02 PM

So only the chips were stolen?

Yes.
Magazine

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 03:01:41 PM

Mhm.... strange.
balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 03:02:44 PM

so the camera, laptop and iPhone isn't missing?
volosator (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 03:04:29 PM

so the camera, laptop and iPhone isn't missing?

No. Only chips.
Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 03:09:40 PM

how much did you pay for the chips?
eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 03:13:44 PM

Either an inside job (someone you know) or you lost them (most common when things go missing.) No way a random thief would take chips they have no idea what they do and leave valuable resell-able electronics.

Olly_K

Activity: 361

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 03:31:48 PM

I was gonna say he's lost them, but it doesn't explain the lock being cut
shapemaker

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

I run Linux on my abacus.

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 03:37:59 PM

I was gonna say he's lost them, but it doesn't explain the lock being cut

Or, the luggage handling machine managed to snap/break/whatever the lock, and the chips fell out because the package was small, while the larger things didn't?

Sounds too far fetched that a thief only would steal some chips... 4 chips cost, what, 60 euros at the moment...

Shut up and give me money: 115UAYWLPTcRQ2hrT7VNo84SSFE5nT5ozo
Magazine

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 03:38:33 PM

Seems strange nothing else was stolen....
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 04:03:41 PM

If they were lost after you arrived in the US, it is possible the TSA might have randomly searched the luggage and taken the chips because they couldn't figure out what they were. Usually they leave a notice in the suitcase when they do this kind of thing, but not always.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 04:47:37 PM

If they were lost after you arrived in the US, it is possible the TSA might have randomly searched the luggage and taken the chips because they couldn't figure out what they were. Usually they leave a notice in the suitcase when they do this kind of thing, but not always.

Do they cut locks?

Magazine

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 04:49:20 PM

Do they cut locks?

Yeah, I have had locks cut on my cases when traveling abroad but I had a a notice left in my case saying they searched it. They took out a bottle of shower gel for some strange reason....
eroxors
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 05:00:49 PM

Sounds very probable. If the lock was not "TSA Compatible" they would likely cut it without hesitation.

FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 05:09:53 PM

Either an inside job (someone you know) or you lost them (most common when things go missing.) No way a random thief would take chips they have no idea what they do and leave valuable resell-able electronics.

...or maybe they did know what it was and were counting on that reasoning to mask the theft. "Customer support: Your iphone was there? oh! Not theft then for sure, who would NOT steal an iphone, right?". Easy theft.

eroxors
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2013, 07:53:03 PM

...or maybe they did know what it was and were counting on that reasoning to mask the theft. "Customer support: Your iphone was there? oh! Not theft then for sure, who would NOT steal an iphone, right?". Easy theft.

Wouldn't the iphone be worth more than 4x $60 bitfury chips? I mean, we're talking about an elaborate heist for a couple hundred bucks... if that's the plan, why not go for more? Doesn't add up. TSA is probably the most likely scenario and, sadly, the chips might not be recoverable if a notice wasn't left. I would suggest the OP call up the TSA and see what can be done.

klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 08:04:28 PM

Wouldn't the iphone be worth more than 4x $60 bitfury chips? I mean, we're talking about an elaborate heist for a couple hundred bucks... if that's the plan, why not go for more? Doesn't add up.
more like 4x $20 chips

Sounds very probable. If the lock was not "TSA Compatible" they would likely cut it without hesitation.

This. Is it that strange to think that customs would cut your lock yto check the bags (they do this dozens or hundreds of times a day) and either the chips slipped out (they are small) or were simply seized because of an arbitrary rule (seeing unidentifiable computer chips is a red flag IMO)

I think its safe to say your chips were not STOLEN, as though some creeper decided your bag was worth breaking into at the airport, and stealing <$100 worth of chips that have no use without a dozen other components and a PCB

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
volosator (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 08:11:26 PM

Lock was TSA compatible. TSA always puts a notice when they go through your stuff.
The lock was very decent.
FeedbackLoop

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 08:17:46 PM

Wouldn't the iphone be worth more than 4x $60 bitfury chips? I mean, we're talking about an elaborate heist for a couple hundred bucks... if that's the plan, why not go for more? Doesn't add up. TSA is probably the most likely scenario and, sadly, the chips might not be recoverable if a notice wasn't left. I would suggest the OP call up the TSA and see what can be done.

I would also say that some "security" misfit is the most likely thing but it doesn't have to be an "elaborate heist" at all. Just a small time TSA employee who knows what bitfury is and saw there a no consequence small  theft opportunity. The same guy might have over estimated the value of the chips. His supervisors and the whole theft reporting system will know very well what an iphone is.  Not the same for some obscure chips with very little traceability and no anti-theft software/locks.

Some people will steal any crap if they think there is little chance of them getting any trouble over it (as would be the case here).

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: