Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:59:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Gear Suggestions Wanted.  (Read 1785 times)
Novalok (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 08:01:01 PM

I'd like to get some mining gear. I understand i will be mining at a loss. I really don't mind.
I'd like to mine just to mine. Its fascinating to me.

I'm looking to spend ~100-300 dollars to start and will upgrade with time. What is the max GHash i can get currently with this budget.

Also. Please anyone who replies, refrain from negative comments, as this topic will be self moderated and they will be removed. Thanks!
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nachius

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 08:18:13 PM

At the current prices if you want actual "gear" you are taking care of asicminer blades were just reduced to .8 BTC today for a little over 10Ghash.

In your price range thats probably about what you can/will get  I also saw an overclocked one for sale doing about 15Ghash on these forums for 1 BTC I believe.

Just outside your budget you could get one of the 49 port hubs and 50 block erupters for 1.75 BTC around 16-17GHash

all of those will require additional money in a power supply if you do not have one that can power them on hand.

A step up from your price range is 60GHash rigs going for 3+BTC
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 08:24:05 PM

Something to consider, is purchasing the equivalent USD value in BTC instead of purchasing mining hardware.

If current trends hold, you are likely to come out ahead, rather than at a loss if you purchase hardware.
Novalok (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 08:43:53 PM

Something to consider, is purchasing the equivalent USD value in BTC instead of purchasing mining hardware.

If current trends hold, you are likely to come out ahead, rather than at a loss if you purchase hardware.

I explained in my first post, i know i will come out at a loss, but it just seems that you fail to read.

I stated i find mining fascinating, i want to mine to mine, not to profit. Please feel free to re read the original post.
Xian01
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 02:58:14 AM

I explained in my first post, i know i will come out at a loss, but it just seems that you fail to read.

I stated i find mining fascinating, i want to mine to mine, not to profit. Please feel free to re read the original post.

No. I didn't fail to read; was trying to offer you some potentially profitable advice / alternative from the perspective of a miner for almost 4 years now.

If you insist on mining with your budget, I might recommend the 49 port Asicminer USB hubs + sticks bundle.

Also, lose the snark.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 11:49:19 AM

wait a week for post 500 million diff then see the panic selling of people that are just now receiving or about to receive 30 and 60 GH BFL devices.

should be a good gauge for a price , but then of course Diff will probably continue to rise at a high rate.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 06:56:12 AM

So you choose to buy a piece of equipment to simply set it up and stare at it?  Why don't you buy a couple GPUs and re-purpose an old computer to mine alt coins instead.  As others said, you could easily throw together 80 more dollars and buy a few block erupters (4) and pull an extra 1.2 Ghash in sha256 from them.  Setup the Block erupters to solo mine and purchase 2 7950s used for say $360 and mod an old computer you currently have to be a mining setup. Sure, it won't be a dedicated Asics Box, but if you're doing that, mining will not remain enjoyable very long (Its simply turn on, set  your pool or solo setup), and then leave.  At least with GPUs there is a tuning phase that can be utilized to see lower power or higher hashrates output and also you have the opportunity to solo mine on more scrypt coins and can hopefully have them pay for themselves sooner.  As others here are alluding to, the Big machines are not available currently anyway, and you COULD wait for the next difficulty spike to procure 30 and 60 ghs bfls from ppl getting them late trying to panic sell them but I doubt anyone here would pay the 2500 to sell them for 600-800 on the spot as someone alluded to.

Cloud mining is also Nice too as a backup hedge and you could take your mining earnings and apply them to cloud mining so they yield their own derivative return.  The referral structure used in my signature alone has paid for itself over and over:

Xian01
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 03:42:46 PM
Last edit: November 03, 2013, 04:50:29 PM by Xian01

Cloud mining is also Nice too as a backup hedge and you could take your mining earnings and apply them to cloud mining so they yield their own derivative return.  The referral structure used in my signature alone has paid for itself over and over:
http://cex.io/informer-small/frankenmint/365babcb31d68e161da0cfd39d1ce609/

I was initially thinking of reinvesting mining profits as a form of Dividend Reinvestment, but it's just not profitable or reasonable at any price > GHS/0.08BTC

Constantly watching the market there, and can't rationalize it presently.

I'm convinced it's the influx of noobs there that has driven the price up to it's current levels; it's cheaper to buy hardware than GHS/BTC at cex.io.
mogrith
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1001

Use Coinbase Account almosanywhere with Shift card

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 05:44:59 PM

wait a week for post 500 million diff then see the panic selling of people that are just now receiving or about to receive 30 and 60 GH BFL devices.

should be a good gauge for a price , but then of course Diff will probably continue to rise at a high rate.

So there should be a lot coming on to ebay shortly. Just don't pay too much put in a fair bid and move on to new action if out bid.

Merge mine BLC+PHO+ELT+XDQ+BBTC+UMO+LIT pool is open http://la1.blakecoin.com tips: 1MogRiTHpQZ7bkpq49cSVWADrTt7Jrghp
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1847

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:13:32 AM

I've got 14-15GH blades available (in hand) for 1BTC (as someone mentioned previously) if you're interested.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:25:53 PM

I would recommend as the others say, some overclocked blades or if u have a computer to spare and free ( or cheap) power buy some GPUs. They do not lose as much value as asics as they always can be sold to gamers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: