Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:00:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Source Avalon Gen2 55nm Board  (Read 35868 times)
DrZeck

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 07:59:28 AM

I cant help much at the moment, my boards still waiting for parts to arrive but i think you should do debuging on linux machine. raspberry pi would be good start.

you should use patched version of cgminer/bfgminer from formtapez git.

Cheers,
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hongkongapple1

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2014, 03:36:26 PM

Give u a hint~ 

No worried ~ 

Set the Clock higher ! 

u will see.. ~   Step by Step, u will get to 21.xG  for sure

( I've tested many on CGMiner )

remember large bottom Heatsink is a MUST

Jeffrey
explorer232

Activity: 51

View Profile
January 17, 2014, 10:00:05 PM

I would like to try this design each. Do anyone have pure PCB for sale?
Ostenbacken

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:23:45 AM

Hi guys. I have a concern about that the 16-chip board could overload the PTH14020WAH voltage converter.

According to my experimental data with 10-chip boards of this topic, and according to the Avalon-2 datasheet, it seems that the maximum load current of the voltage converter (50A) will be exceeded when the chips are run at their maximum speed.

By datasheet, the chips claim 2.05W/Gh. We could run the chips at 1.5-1.6GH/s on the 10-chip board, so on the 16-chip board the typical power consumption will be 2.05*1.6*16=52.48W. Assuming 1V core supply voltage, this results in 52.48A consumption from the DVDD source.

But the measured power consumption is a bit higher. The 10-chip board draws 3.5A from the 12V source which is 42W. Assume 3W goes into 3.3V supply to power the PIC and the rest of the circuit, while 39W goes into the voltage converter. Assuming 85% efficiency (per datasheet at this output voltage), the output power is 33.15W which corresponds to 33A current draw for 10 chips. If we run 16 chips in this mode, the current would proportionally rise to 53.04A.

This is only a slight overload, but still. I wonder if any of you guys have any experience about how does the voltage converter behave in this overload mode. Does it still function properly? Does the output voltage drop or start oscillating or smth? Do the converter's components overheat?
Lucko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 11:48:55 AM

hongkongapple1 please confirm TNT pickup of my boards... They will not come until you do that. It is a week now... Come on... If you would like to send them other way just say so and don't wait anymore.... If you need help say... I know you are/ware sick but still...

Ostenbacken read specification a bit batter. Overload is 100A... Over 50A you just need cooling(moving air)...
Ostenbacken

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 01:34:35 PM

Ostenbacken read specification a bit batter. Overload is 100A... Over 50A you just need cooling(moving air)...
I just read the datasheet again. All performance graphs end at 50A output current. There is even an output current derating below 50A recommended for applications with insufficient cooling. The overcurrent protection shuts down the regulator at 95A output current. So where did you find 100A output current capability in the datasheet? Which page? Or perhaps you were looking at a different product specs? PTH12040WAH is the correct part number.
Lucko

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 02:57:57 PM

I was writing from memory... So 95A... It is tested and it works(on a different board)... So don't worry...
Ostenbacken

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:20:29 PM

So 95A... It is tested and it works(on a different board)... So don't worry...
Ok, at least it sort of works. I already ordered the PCBs so I'll probably just run the modules overloaded or reduce the hash rate. But it's a bad engineering practice. Do you think TI's engineers were not tempted to quote higher values in their datasheet if the device was really capable of providing more output current? These days everything is around marketing, and part manufacturers sometimes quote very optimistic values that are only achievable in very controlled circumstances, while in real applications the part can't be realistically expected to deliver that performance. So there must be reasons why their nominal output current is limited to 50A, not more.

Overcurrent protection is just a safeguard against unexpected, exceptional overloads but not a guideline to constantly run your device at currents between 50 and 95A. If you constantly violate datasheet requirements in your designs, you're simply asking for trouble. Say, if this module fails catastrophically, not only it will cost you some $40-$50 to replace it, but it could also fry 16 of your Avalon chips. In the end you may lose a whole board with all parts.

I would consider reducing the number of chips on the board to 12-14 or making a custom VDD voltage regulator in place of the PTH12040 module. The latter approach could also save costs considerably. I have some experience with switching mode power converters, but not at these high currents.
Lucko

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:08:06 PM

Don't complicate things for a board that will work only 6 to 12 months
Lucko

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 02:50:51 PM

hongkongapple1 still sick? Can you please send my boards on the way...
BigJRepairs

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:15:50 PM

For what it's worth Lucko I think he's trying, he just bit off more than he could chew.
whommbat

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:37:04 AM

I just got a new miner today and it seems to be working great. Only thing is I noticed some inconsistencies as far as the match_work_count goes.
Can anyone confirm that there is an issue? Weird thing is, I'm hashing at the advertised rate...
Please give me some insight.
I appreciate it.

https://i.imgur.com/2ZkCO4J.png?1
hongkongapple1

Activity: 49

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 12:04:25 PM

Dear Lucko,  I have now still now 5 boards for u,  & 11 boards for my Finland Clients~  who he have actually have wait for the longest time ~  there is a lots of credit for your guys ~  who paitent enought to wait ~  While problem arise on the board,  some board can't pass the test, which cos more delay ~

All should be finialized ~  should be able to send them all all tomorrow.. ~

Lets u guys had a great news ~ 

Now the board can run very stable @ 1.59 Ghz / Chips ~

Means u can now get ~ a promised ( 25.5 Ghz very Stable !)

~  So some who do true this dude !  Will Paid off now ~

Pls do not ask me how,  this is lots of hardwork & co-operation ~  ( including working under a 5 days Extreme Fever & Flu, super head killing condition ~  luckily all are passed !  only my voice are not back yet,  I have almost lost my voice )

Only avaliable to Lucko & great supporter ~

I will preload the firmware for u ~   
Girhes

Activity: 46

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:48:55 PM

Pls do not ask me how,  this is lots of hardwork & co-operation

Please let me ask if you also had to modify the board, or made software tweaking only?

I've already sent the plans to my factory, but I don't have the time to debug the board right now, so I'll have to cancel the order then :\
explorer232

Activity: 51

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:57:32 PM

Dear Lucko,  I have now still now 5 boards for u,  & 11 boards for my Finland Clients~  who he have actually have wait for the longest time ~  there is a lots of credit for your guys ~  who paitent enought to wait ~  While problem arise on the board,  some board can't pass the test, which cos more delay ~

All should be finialized ~  should be able to send them all all tomorrow.. ~

Lets u guys had a great news ~  

Now the board can run very stable @ 1.59 Ghz / Chips ~

Means u can now get ~ a promised ( 25.5 Ghz very Stable !)

~  So some who do true this dude !  Will Paid off now ~

Pls do not ask me how,  this is lots of hardwork & co-operation ~  ( including working under a 5 days Extreme Fever & Flu, super head killing condition ~  luckily all are passed !  only my voice are not back yet,  I have almost lost my voice )

Only avaliable to Lucko & great supporter ~

I will preload the firmware for u ~    

Hi,
do you have already readed GNU v3 public licence because original source code & hw is published under GNU v3 so if you use this code you must to publish modifications!  

I am author of another avalon 2 open source design (sw & hw) for info but this is usable for another people and safe more time.
This is fu****g bussines copy copy copy but no support for developer!  

BigJRepairs

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:04:31 PM

So 95A... It is tested and it works(on a different board)... So don't worry...
Ok, at least it sort of works. I already ordered the PCBs so I'll probably just run the modules overloaded or reduce the hash rate. But it's a bad engineering practice. Do you think TI's engineers were not tempted to quote higher values in their datasheet if the device was really capable of providing more output current? These days everything is around marketing, and part manufacturers sometimes quote very optimistic values that are only achievable in very controlled circumstances, while in real applications the part can't be realistically expected to deliver that performance. So there must be reasons why their nominal output current is limited to 50A, not more.

Overcurrent protection is just a safeguard against unexpected, exceptional overloads but not a guideline to constantly run your device at currents between 50 and 95A. If you constantly violate datasheet requirements in your designs, you're simply asking for trouble. Say, if this module fails catastrophically, not only it will cost you some $40-$50 to replace it, but it could also fry 16 of your Avalon chips. In the end you may lose a whole board with all parts.

I would consider reducing the number of chips on the board to 12-14 or making a custom VDD voltage regulator in place of the PTH12040 module. The latter approach could also save costs considerably. I have some experience with switching mode power converters, but not at these high currents.

I share your cause for concern here. My uncles worked at TI 30 years as a lead engineer I'll run it by him. I have several years of experience myself. 2 years in Metrology constantly having to bring engineers back to the real world, because measurements are only as reliable as the instrument taking the measurement, and of course they would quote higher values if there was any chance it was capable.

They show on the graphs optimum current output is 35A, 50A is the absolute maximum. The derating curve suggests component breakdown over 50A. I didn't have a chance to examine the justification for your estimates. Is there any chance that they're off?
BigJRepairs

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:57:23 AM

I can't get the sim to run on Altium for nothing. Does anyone know if those were built in an older Eagle environment, or what sim software will run it if any?

By datasheet, the chips claim 2.05W/Gh. We could run the chips at 1.5-1.6GH/s on the 10-chip board, so on the 16-chip board the typical power consumption will be 2.05*1.6*16=52.48W. Assuming 1V core supply voltage, this results in 52.48A consumption from the DVDD source.

But the measured power consumption is a bit higher. The 10-chip board draws 3.5A from the 12V source which is 42W. Assume 3W goes into 3.3V supply to power the PIC and the rest of the circuit, while 39W goes into the voltage converter. Assuming 85% efficiency (per datasheet at this output voltage), the output power is 33.15W which corresponds to 33A current draw for 10 chips. If we run 16 chips in this mode, the current would proportionally rise to 53.04A.

I believe your math may be off trying to use optimum W/GH to calculate DC/DC converter current I/O. I noticed you quoted the current and voltage draw from the source but did you take any other measurements off the 10 chip board? If you measured a current draw on this converter above 35 amps with 10 chips it would really save me a lot of time.

I'm hoping it was intended to reflect this:

1.1V * 2A = 2.2 W/GH ==> 36A Draw for 16 chips or 35.2W for the same -- Give or take because engineers are forced to lie by management
HerrHeimlich

Activity: 234

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:18:55 PM

Hi everybody,

now I have my first Klondike-boards in hands and it seems that they need the last firmware to become flashed. Can anybody give me a description howto do this?

I also want to mine with the boards using minepeon. Must I patch the cgminer used by minepeon? If yes, how to do this?

A little help would be wonderfull.

Best regards

Joerg
end18

Activity: 40

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 03:59:36 AM

Hi everybody,

now I have my first Klondike-boards in hands and it seems that they need the last firmware to become flashed. Can anybody give me a description howto do this?

I also want to mine with the boards using minepeon. Must I patch the cgminer used by minepeon? If yes, how to do this?

A little help would be wonderfull.

Best regards

Joerg

First, Klondike thread is here -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=190731.3540

you can get last firmware  here ( It's write in first page of upper thread ) -> http://github.com/bkkcoins/klondike

you can find detail manual of Klondike , here -> http://www.projectklondike.org/

Buy PicKit3 in from here. www.microchipdirect.com

Download MPLAB IDE form www.microchip.com and compile firmware oor just write Hex to your PIC MCU with IPE (it's part of MPLAB IDE)
HerrHeimlich

Activity: 234

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 11:25:38 PM

Ok, what I did:
- bought Pickit3, downloaded MPLAB X, installed it
- download latest firmware once from
     github.com/formtapez/avalon and from
     github.com/zipiju/k16-firmware
-connected Pickit3 to computer, drivers have been installed
- started Pickit3
- choosen as device: PIC16LF1459
- pressed connect
- warning window pops up to check wether the choose device is correct or not. => checked it chip on board
   is PIC16LF1459 => pressed ok
- warning window pops up: Target Device ID (0x0) does not match the expected Device ID (0x3027). Would
  you like to continue? => press ok => CONNECTION WILL BE ESTABLISHED
- choose downloaded .hex-file => press Program
- error message comes up: failed to program device

What am I doing wrong? For me it seems that I have the .hex-files? Is this correct?

Does hongkongapple1 gave is latest firmware to anyone of you? I asked him twice for the .hex-file for 25GHs and he gave me no response nor the files.

Can anybody help me a little bit?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: