Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:13:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TerraMiner IV, Worth it going forward?  (Read 1981 times)
jagminer2 (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:23:19 PM

With Cointerra's 2 TH/S monster set to release in February (assuming on or almost on schedule) will this be the best play in the near future?

Even factoring a 500% increase in difficulty by mid-march 2014, you are still looking at $160 a day with Bitcoin at their current price in the $390 range.

It's clear to me that any lowly GH/S (even Avalon's) will be hopelessly obsolete if they aren't already.

Is this a viable option going forward? Yes, a lot of risk, but $3 GH/s can't be beat as far as I can see.

I'd appreciate useful feedback, and if anyone has any additional information on this, or about Cointerra & their reputation, warranty, replacement, customer service.

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:30:49 PM

It is up to you. I personally won't take this risk.
pand70

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 08:56:20 PM

Even factoring a 500% increase in difficulty by mid-march 2014, you are still looking at $160 a day with Bitcoin at their current price in the $390 range.

500% increase in 4 months looks quite low. It is around 50% per month.

rob2010svk

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:55:49 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2013, 12:01:02 AM by rob2010svk

i dont think that BTC difficulty will go up just 50% per month... it will be at least 80% if not more... ASICs are doing `great` job in that diff pump...

anyway im thinking about the same CoinTerra IV - BUT im not sure if the real delivery will be before february or so... every single day delay is cutting down profit and increasing payback time...  thats the biggest issue there...
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 10:58:53 PM

500% increase in 4 months looks quite low. It is around 50% per month.

The math irony.  1.5^4 ~= 5.0

Still I think the long term hashrate growth will be more than 50% but your statement actually confirms the OP claim.
Kenshin

Activity: 280

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:00:29 PM

i dont think that BTC difficulty will go up just 50% per month... it will be at least 80% if not more... ASICs are doing grat job in that pump...

anyway im thinking about the same CoinTerra IV - BUT im not sure if the real delivery will be before february or so... every single day delay is cutting down profit and increasing payback time...  thats the biggest issue there...

Also consider that they haven't actually ship anything to anyone yet. It is still in production. What if Cointerra closed down? You can only buy either via Bank Transfer or BitPay. There are no chargeback for either of these.

If you really want to mine, I will go with KnC Miner.
pand70

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 13, 2013, 11:16:34 PM

The math irony.  1.5^4 ~= 5.0

Still I think the long term hashrate growth will be more than 50% but your statement actually confirms the OP claim.

It 's no irony or coincidence obviously. It's what i calculated but it seems that i expressed myself poorly  Tongue
I meant for the difficulty to be 5 times greater it takes only a 50% rise per month for the next 4 months. 50% per month is very low compared with what we are witnessing in the past few months.

jagminer2 (OP)

Activity: 19

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 12:16:59 AM

Thanks, all of this input was exactly what I was looking for.  It may be time to focus my attention towards litecoin, Is that taboo in these parts?

Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:38:19 AM

Thanks, all of this input was exactly what I was looking for.  It may be time to focus my attention towards litecoin, Is that taboo in these parts?

Not taboo, but not the subject of this forum either. Better forums are the Alternative Cryptocurrencies subforum over here or the Litecoin forum (forum.litecoin.net).

There are many miners that mine altcoins using GPUs rather than buying ASICs for Bitcoin mining, so your idea is far from uncommon.
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 14, 2013, 07:52:11 AM

Sure, your miner will be profitable if:
- You are about the only one who thinks it will be profitable at those prices. If too many others think like you, they will order more miners and thereby reduce profitability until it no longer is profitable. Quite likely so many thought like you they have already ordered so many miners it will not be profitable for anyone.
 AND
- Cointerra sees no reason to lower prices even if you are their only customer, despite the fact they have a >1000% gross margin, oddly they would rather sell nothing than sell at 500%

OR

- none of the asic vendors are able to meet market demand, thereby limiting supply and keeping difficulty artificially low, but for some reason, *you* are able to get your hands on your terraminer anyway, even when other people dont.

As for that 500% diff increase by March. Heh.

Historical Difficulty Increase
30 Day   170 %
60 Day   488 %
90 Day   906 %
http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/

That happened before Hashfast, Monarch, Cointerra, Bitmine, ActM, Black Arrow even shipped a single 28nm unit. And before next gens from Bitfury, Avalon and Asicminer.
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 03:35:25 PM

Huge gamble, difficulty will be well over 3m and everything has to go perfect in terms of shipping time and BTC price, not worth risking $6k IMO

Lets say they ship 6-8 weeks late and BTC drops back to $250-300? You have to take a nasty loss.

And if BTC is gonna go up to $1k? Just take that $6k and buy BTC now, its wayyyy more $ do the math
mvidetto

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 15, 2013, 04:08:00 PM

Sure, your miner will be profitable if:
- You are about the only one who thinks it will be profitable at those prices. If too many others think like you, they will order more miners and thereby reduce profitability until it no longer is profitable. Quite likely so many thought like you they have already ordered so many miners it will not be profitable for anyone.
 AND
- Cointerra sees no reason to lower prices even if you are their only customer, despite the fact they have a >1000% gross margin, oddly they would rather sell nothing than sell at 500%

OR

- none of the asic vendors are able to meet market demand, thereby limiting supply and keeping difficulty artificially low, but for some reason, *you* are able to get your hands on your terraminer anyway, even when other people dont.

As for that 500% diff increase by March. Heh.

Historical Difficulty Increase
30 Day   170 %
60 Day   488 %
90 Day   906 %
http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/

That happened before Hashfast, Monarch, Cointerra, Bitmine, ActM, Black Arrow even shipped a single 28nm unit. And before next gens from Bitfury, Avalon and Asicminer.

Yeah, I think we're looking at increases slower than what we've seen but probably still ~50% a month which equals about 1000% by March.
Undefeatable

Activity: 286

View Profile
November 16, 2013, 01:47:50 PM

With Cointerra's 2 TH/S monster set to release in February (assuming on or almost on schedule) will this be the best play in the near future?

It's clear to me that any lowly GH/S (even Avalon's) will be hopelessly obsolete if they aren't already.

Is this a viable option going forward? Yes, a lot of risk, but $3 GH/s can't be beat as far as I can see.

I'd appreciate useful feedback, and if anyone has any additional information on this, or about Cointerra & their reputation, warranty, replacement, customer service.

Thanks.

the 2TH/s is really too good to be true, but if you assume 2 months delay then we are in big trouble...

Sythyn

Activity: 1082
Merit: 505

A Digital Universe with Endless Possibilities.

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2013, 11:49:05 AM

Thanks.

Wohoo, this is monster machine.... But the february pre-order is sold out Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: