Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:29:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Jally Not Mining  (Read 2605 times)
tacoman71 (OP)

Activity: 320
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 04:44:45 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2013, 09:41:56 PM by tacoman71

I just got my jally a few days ago. I tried hooking it up to bfgminer, but for some reason, it's not hashing. Sometimes, it will hash for a few seconds, then it will just stop. I tried running it on easyminer, but it wont work. Will someone help me? Here's what bfgminer looks like https://www.dropbox.com/s/253lcn9rqcdrq1h/Capture.PNG

Feeling generous? Like my post? Leave a tip at BTC: 1NZJ8cceqEiKDZGAJged2vNGCyfFMUEYPt

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 04:52:32 PM

Try a different pool and see if you get the same response.  That looks like a potential pool error.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
reactor

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 04:57:40 PM

Try a different pool and see if you get the same response.  That looks like a potential pool error.

Yeah, BTCGuild has been good to my Little Single so far.  Hashing away since about ten minutes after USPS dropped it off yesterday.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:11:04 PM

use cgminer much better software

tacoman71 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 05:27:42 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2013, 05:38:13 PM by tacoman71

tried btcguild pool and cgminer. Still not hashing. Sometimes it shows this https://www.dropbox.com/s/253lcn9rqcdrq1h/Capture.PNG And apparently i have a 40% hardware error rate and 100% of my nonces are invalid. Did I get a defect?

Feeling generous? Like my post? Leave a tip at BTC: 1NZJ8cceqEiKDZGAJged2vNGCyfFMUEYPt
tacoman71 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 07:49:46 PM

Has anyone else had this issue?

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2013, 08:49:35 PM

That's a very strange error.  Have you tried powering off and letting the Jalapeno cool for a bit before repowering it?  I've also seen bad power do weird things to it, maybe a bad PSU source?  The Jalapeno power bricks are pretty reliable though for the most part.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 09:24:33 PM

if the above dosnt work try reinstalling the drivers

what does it show up as in device manager?

tacoman71 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 10:23:03 PM

Whenever I unplug the power and plug it back in after 10 seconds, it mines like normal for about a minute. Then it just stops. When I let it cool down for 10 minutes, it still only mines normally for a minute. I tried reinstalling the drivers, nothing. Instead of plugging it into a power strip I plugged it into the wall directly, still nothing. And for some reason, bfgminer reports abnormally high hash rates like 50 GH/s even when I'm not hashing.

tacoman71 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 10:35:28 PM

When I try running the windows troubleshooter, it says USB Serial Converter is an older USB device and might not work with USB 3.0

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 11:13:21 PM

When I try running the windows troubleshooter, it says USB Serial Converter is an older USB device and might not work with USB 3.0

hmmm this is a strange one when you plug it in and it mines does it get accepted shares?
have you tried a standard usb 2 port
is the fan inside the miner working (should be able to hear it easily)

tacoman71 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 11:37:34 PM

hmmm this is a strange one when you plug it in and it mines does it get accepted shares?
have you tried a standard usb 2 port
is the fan inside the miner working (should be able to hear it easily)
It only gets accepted shares for about a minute, then stops. But the fan is definitely fine. Unfortunately, I don't have a computer with a USB 2.0 port. I tried running bfgminer in ubuntu on Vmware Workstation while limiting USB compatibility within the OS to USB 2.0. Still only produces shares for a minute.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2013, 03:10:41 AM

Is it overheating?

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 05:11:04 PM

sounds like theres something wrong with the actual device. probably the heatsink isnt sitting on the chips and there over heating. 3 options
1.take it apart and re sit the heatsink.
2.send back to BFL
3.find someone local or off here to fix it

or sell it

are you using windows or mac?
could always do remote desktop and see if i can find the problem for you

tacoman71 (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 06:16:15 PM

sounds like theres something wrong with the actual device. probably the heatsink isnt sitting on the chips and there over heating. 3 options
1.take it apart and re sit the heatsink.
2.send back to BFL
3.find someone local or off here to fix it

or sell it

are you using windows or mac?
could always do remote desktop and see if i can find the problem for you
I have a PC running Windows 8.1. I already tried contacting BFL yesterday but there's no response yet. Probably because it's the weekend.

Is it overheating?

It starts inching up to 37oC then goes down. At this point I'm still getting shares. Then it goes to 42oC and down to 38oC. Then it goes back up to 44oC. After this, it stops getting accepted shares.

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 08:18:53 PM

sounds like it is over heating... which country are you based in. if its the UK id have a look at it if your willing to ship it and pay for shipping both ways.

it sounds like the heatsink just isnt sat on the chips correctly (is a pretty common fault) so only part of the chip is connecting with the heatsink
so as the chip heats up the system slows down the speed until its cool enough and over time it works out it cant mine without over heating so just sits there idle

tacoman71 (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 01:14:01 AM
Last edit: November 04, 2013, 02:55:44 AM by tacoman71

sounds like it is over heating... which country are you based in. if its the UK id have a look at it if your willing to ship it and pay for shipping both ways.

it sounds like the heatsink just isnt sat on the chips correctly (is a pretty common fault) so only part of the chip is connecting with the heatsink
so as the chip heats up the system slows down the speed until its cool enough and over time it works out it cant mine without over heating so just sits there idle
I live in Texas. So I just open it up and take out the heatsink and put it back in place? Does opening it up invalidate the warranty?

EDIT: I tried reseating the heatsink but it still spikes at 48 degrees.

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 10:39:43 AM

opening it up dosnt invalidate the warranty as they need to be maintained. its looking like your going to have to
either
sell it
or RTM it back to butterfly labs.

when you took the heasink off did you notice if there was a pad or any thermal compond between the heatsink and the chip?
also pictures would be useful to help out and rule out as many problems as possible

tacoman71 (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 09:17:05 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2013, 09:33:02 PM by tacoman71

opening it up dosnt invalidate the warranty as they need to be maintained. its looking like your going to have to
either
sell it

when you took the heasink off did you notice if there was a pad or any thermal compond between the heatsink and the chip?
also pictures would be useful to help out and rule out as many problems as possible
There was some thermal putty on top of the chips. I tried contacting BFL but they haven't responded. Does anybody want it?

vm1990
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 11:48:23 PM

either
sell it

There was some thermal putty on top of the chips. I tried contacting BFL but they haven't responded. Does anybody want it?

ill happily have it Smiley

on another note BFL arnt great at support or anything to do with customers
if i get it ill pay shipping to the UK and either give you something for it or stick some hashing power on a pool for you for a month or so

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: