Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:12:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] MarieCurieCoin, all-in-one altcoin (MCC)  (Read 2885 times)
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2013, 05:42:34 PM

Marie Curie was a true hero of science, that's for sure.

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Badkamer

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 05:11:35 AM

We do not want MarieCurieCoin I rather have Einstein Coin

For some unsolicited design advice...

Naming things after real people has the problem of the real person (who ate, slept, and maybe even made some mistakes along the way) not being our idealised form of the person.  It is a nice tribute to a worthy individual, but it is a very limiting aspect as well.  It is a tribute.
Like putting Ceasar on the face of a coin, some folks want the coin but don't much care for Ceasar.  It would be the same with any person.  Also with an experiment such as this, we can never be sure that it even lives up to being a worthy tribute.  Making it a tribute does help to keep that focus though...

That is why we have Liberty on our New Liberty Dollars.  It is an ideal, not a persona, so the appeal is more broad.  No one can say that Liberty was bad because she was unfaithful to her husband or something weird. 

Perhaps to get the aspects you honor, you could call it something else (inventcoin, curiousitycoin, bravecoin) and put Curie on the logo?

For all that, I love Marie Curie as well, and hope for your success.

Thank you very much for this. It indeed is something we'll coinsider (I love good word-jokes Grin).
Innovationcoin perhaps?

Our first idea was; On dollar bills are people as well, so why not a bitcoin right?

Thanks again for the great commentary, keep up the good work.  Wink

Marie Curie was a true hero of science, that's for sure.

She sure was, she sure was...
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 11:46:17 PM

Our first idea was; On dollar bills are people as well, so why not a bitcoin right?

After he campaigned on the issue of killing the second Central Bank in the USA, I think Andrew Jackson rolls in his grave every time one of those US$20 FRN rolls off the presses of the third central bank.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Sharky444

Activity: 724
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 07:31:26 AM

Any news? What happened with the project in the last weeks?

Radix - just imagine
FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 03:21:22 PM

Are there ways to earn this coin without mining, maybe by writing?

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
Carra23
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

Need a campaign manager? PM me

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 03:34:33 PM

Do I get radiation poisoning if I mine this?
milly6
Legendary

Activity: 1632
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 03:39:01 PM

Not to poo poo on anything here - this sounds very well intentioned - but I find the coin name to be very odd and rather random.

Why will it be named that? A good name is very important to a coin's longevity.

Good question. Marie Curie was one of the most, if not the most influential female scientists of all time. Likewise, we hope to create a coin that will influence how we think about altcoins. We hope it will inspire the altcoin community to not only invest in this coin, but also inspire to make better altcoins in general, like the inspiration Marie Curie was and is to a lot of scientists. It may sound random, but I think it has more of a thought behind it than some other altcoins. (which I'm not going to bash)

Yeah she invented chemotherapy and nukes! woo!

Eyes open, No Fear. Be Safe! Trinity: Currency Without Bias
FinShaggy

Activity: 196

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2013, 03:44:44 PM

Are there ways to earn this coin without mining, maybe by writing?

I am also willing to share links and make YouTube videos or anything else.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
dupee419

Activity: 1344
Merit: 261

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 06:31:02 PM

I respect the name choice as I completely understand your thinking and intentions, but having a person's name as the name of a coin is a bit unappealing (at least for me) and could be open for various interpretations as everyone has different points of view. In fact there's already a post about 'radiation' and even I when I read the name thought that this might be some radiating coin that has some features that reflect this. But as you said, you named it like that for her achievements and hard work...

I'd rather go for an adjective or something symbolic as a name for the coin that portrays Marie Curi's achievements and your line of thought - might be more catchy and acceptable. Although as you both said, MCC is quite good.

Now, apart from the name, I think these are a couple of points that you should consider:

• do not offer instant bounties for pools - I don't know how many coins failed because pool owners took the bounty to create the first few pools and then jumped on the next coin, taking down the previous pool just to take again the bounties. If you offer bounties make them 'per month running' and not all at one go at the creation time;
  • I'm not favorable to the idea of always increasing difficulty. Many on here are armed to the teeth with pro mining rigs and can kick the difficult high quite fast. This would deter small-hash miners to keep supporting the network in the long run and would definitely be unattractive to newbies joining the crypto-world to support it too, as most also would have small-hash power.

For now this is what I think should be considered, along with the good points many have already mentioned in this thread.

Thanks though for trying to innovate and listening to the community.  Grin
Thanks for your well-thought and supporting comment! I understand MarieCurieCoin may lead to speech problems, but I still think MCC solves this problem and sounds rather nice. If someone has a suggestion as to a better name, feel free to comment. Try to be constructive, like many have done before you in this thread, to avoid the "I don't like the name" comments. Also, thanks for your tips regarding the pool. If possible, I'll try to host a pool myself, but I"ll need to look into that.

Furthermore, what alternative are you thinking of regarding difficulty? Decreasing reward? To promote the coin's value, I think it is important to make it more scarce, i.e. :making it more difficult to acquire 1 coin. How do you think a set difficulty is going to work out.

Many, many thanks for your constructive comment and time!

I'm no expert in the nitty gritty of these difficulty algos, but I hate it when there is a new coin and big miners jump on it to mine when the difficulty is still very low and then after a few acquired millions they leave to pump-and-dump their coins leaving the real supporters of the coin facing high difficulty!  Angry
I think that difficulty retargeting (or balancing) should be incorporated so when the big hashers leave, the difficulty level will balance itself with the remaining hashes - kind of 'supply-demand' ideology. What I mean is that if there is high hashrate = high difficulty; if small hash rate = lower difficulty. IMO this is a needed component for the longevity of the coin to remain in existence.

Now as for the value of the coin, if we look at the real world examples, there's no fiat currency that has its value based on its scarcity (as far as I know). Yes there are other things like diamonds, gold etc. that their value is based on that, but in this case I'm treating 'the coin' as the main currency. So the value of the coin has to come from 'the need to be used'. This you are already taking care of as you mentioned many service where it can be used. One important service is an exchange, although I personally do not agree with the exchange of crypto-currencies to fiat-currencies as it completely defeats the purpose of cryptography, as once it's translated into a fiat currency it becomes traceable  Grin now that's my opinion and a completely different argument. But it seems that the community wants this and so it be...

One thing I haven't seen in the announcement is the total amount of coins. Do you have an idea how much you're going to make it?
I might be dumb as I cannot understand why devs make hard caps and limits for their coins. Is every coin designed for a few number of years only? Why is this? No one envisage their coin being used 20, 50 years from now? Many might argue that it is so because Bitcoin is like that... right, but was bitcoin designed to be an 'eternal' currency or was it an experimental idea that a genius (or a group) came out with and wanted to see if it is possible or not, so it was coded with a cap for that reason? I don't know of any fiat-currency designed for 5 years only for example and thus, coins should be modeled or successful real world fiat-currencies (without the bureaucracy of banks which is taken care by the network and blockchain) ... And I'd like to see what happens when most coins reach their caps and they might become useless and just history... I might be wrong, but as I said, I just can't understand this point.
Anyway, I'm mentioning this so you might research a bit on these ideas / questions and see if there is any way you can increase the longevity of the coin. Maybe this coin can be unique as I'll be able to pass down to my children and they to theirs  Wink

To answer the question about hard caps. As far as I can tell from toying with the code of various coins, you have to have a limit or the damned thing won't work. The upside is, you can change it fairly easily. There's also a limit as to how many coins can be minted in any coin regardless of hard caps, simply due to limitations in the language.

on the topic of fiats.... you do realize that the US gov't decommissions shit-tons of paper money and coins regularly to remove worn bills and maintain a constant number of Dollars in circulation at any one time, right? Thus fixing the value for the most part. Seems logical that there would be a limit to the number of coins minted in a given crypto then.

What I'm curious about is what happens when the last of any coin is minted finally... Does the network just die and transactions stop? Or is there a contingency built into the code somewhere that uses all these damned transaction fees to support mining (which is in fact the only way transactions are confirmed and released) rewards?

Maybe I just need to stare at the code some more....
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 06:48:02 PM

The name is bad.

+1 .. very bad ...
Metatron

Activity: 208

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 08:25:24 AM

I respect the name choice as I completely understand your thinking and intentions, but having a person's name as the name of a coin is a bit unappealing (at least for me) and could be open for various interpretations as everyone has different points of view. In fact there's already a post about 'radiation' and even I when I read the name thought that this might be some radiating coin that has some features that reflect this. But as you said, you named it like that for her achievements and hard work...

I'd rather go for an adjective or something symbolic as a name for the coin that portrays Marie Curi's achievements and your line of thought - might be more catchy and acceptable. Although as you both said, MCC is quite good.

Now, apart from the name, I think these are a couple of points that you should consider:

• do not offer instant bounties for pools - I don't know how many coins failed because pool owners took the bounty to create the first few pools and then jumped on the next coin, taking down the previous pool just to take again the bounties. If you offer bounties make them 'per month running' and not all at one go at the creation time;
  • I'm not favorable to the idea of always increasing difficulty. Many on here are armed to the teeth with pro mining rigs and can kick the difficult high quite fast. This would deter small-hash miners to keep supporting the network in the long run and would definitely be unattractive to newbies joining the crypto-world to support it too, as most also would have small-hash power.

For now this is what I think should be considered, along with the good points many have already mentioned in this thread.

Thanks though for trying to innovate and listening to the community.  Grin
Thanks for your well-thought and supporting comment! I understand MarieCurieCoin may lead to speech problems, but I still think MCC solves this problem and sounds rather nice. If someone has a suggestion as to a better name, feel free to comment. Try to be constructive, like many have done before you in this thread, to avoid the "I don't like the name" comments. Also, thanks for your tips regarding the pool. If possible, I'll try to host a pool myself, but I"ll need to look into that.

Furthermore, what alternative are you thinking of regarding difficulty? Decreasing reward? To promote the coin's value, I think it is important to make it more scarce, i.e. :making it more difficult to acquire 1 coin. How do you think a set difficulty is going to work out.

Many, many thanks for your constructive comment and time!

I'm no expert in the nitty gritty of these difficulty algos, but I hate it when there is a new coin and big miners jump on it to mine when the difficulty is still very low and then after a few acquired millions they leave to pump-and-dump their coins leaving the real supporters of the coin facing high difficulty!  Angry
I think that difficulty retargeting (or balancing) should be incorporated so when the big hashers leave, the difficulty level will balance itself with the remaining hashes - kind of 'supply-demand' ideology. What I mean is that if there is high hashrate = high difficulty; if small hash rate = lower difficulty. IMO this is a needed component for the longevity of the coin to remain in existence.

Now as for the value of the coin, if we look at the real world examples, there's no fiat currency that has its value based on its scarcity (as far as I know). Yes there are other things like diamonds, gold etc. that their value is based on that, but in this case I'm treating 'the coin' as the main currency. So the value of the coin has to come from 'the need to be used'. This you are already taking care of as you mentioned many service where it can be used. One important service is an exchange, although I personally do not agree with the exchange of crypto-currencies to fiat-currencies as it completely defeats the purpose of cryptography, as once it's translated into a fiat currency it becomes traceable  Grin now that's my opinion and a completely different argument. But it seems that the community wants this and so it be...

One thing I haven't seen in the announcement is the total amount of coins. Do you have an idea how much you're going to make it?
I might be dumb as I cannot understand why devs make hard caps and limits for their coins. Is every coin designed for a few number of years only? Why is this? No one envisage their coin being used 20, 50 years from now? Many might argue that it is so because Bitcoin is like that... right, but was bitcoin designed to be an 'eternal' currency or was it an experimental idea that a genius (or a group) came out with and wanted to see if it is possible or not, so it was coded with a cap for that reason? I don't know of any fiat-currency designed for 5 years only for example and thus, coins should be modeled or successful real world fiat-currencies (without the bureaucracy of banks which is taken care by the network and blockchain) ... And I'd like to see what happens when most coins reach their caps and they might become useless and just history... I might be wrong, but as I said, I just can't understand this point.
Anyway, I'm mentioning this so you might research a bit on these ideas / questions and see if there is any way you can increase the longevity of the coin. Maybe this coin can be unique as I'll be able to pass down to my children and they to theirs  Wink

To answer the question about hard caps. As far as I can tell from toying with the code of various coins, you have to have a limit or the damned thing won't work. The upside is, you can change it fairly easily. There's also a limit as to how many coins can be minted in any coin regardless of hard caps, simply due to limitations in the language.

on the topic of fiats.... you do realize that the US gov't decommissions shit-tons of paper money and coins regularly to remove worn bills and maintain a constant number of Dollars in circulation at any one time, right? Thus fixing the value for the most part. Seems logical that there would be a limit to the number of coins minted in a given crypto then.

What I'm curious about is what happens when the last of any coin is minted finally... Does the network just die and transactions stop? Or is there a contingency built into the code somewhere that uses all these damned transaction fees to support mining (which is in fact the only way transactions are confirmed and released) rewards?

Maybe I just need to stare at the code some more....

Agree with you mostly and the reasons I suggested these things is that I know there are limitations in all of the coins (as you said), thus for a coin to be a really worthy one has to somehow deal with at least some of them - that would be innovation...

Maybe someone serious about this can just take the concept and recode it in a better language, in stead of taking the existing code and just alter some things - if language is one of the limitations.

Re. fiat, yes I know of that, but they also have the 'almighty printing button' which they press whenever they want to. Today's economy is no longer fully backed by material things, i.e. amount of dollars = amount of gold. If we look at the history of money, first the real thing was exchanged, i.e. gold (or any other metal) with a product or service. Then it became impractical and unsafe and official paper replaced the real thing with value representation... and the rest is history!

Also re. your last reflection - that's why I'm teasing developers to think deeply and out of the box - for that same comments of yours. Considering all the above, it is clear that these new type of currencies are all limited as have a pre-defined lifetime, thus I'm not surprised that no serious financial institution has already jumped on this... Who wants to accumulate 'wealth' for 4-5 years and then when all minting ends the coin/network dies and your 'wealth' becomes worthless? This preoccupies me a lot...

Cheers.

>>> If I've been of any help pls consider donating any cryptocurrency to my Cryptsy - [Trade Key: f400d7b9519d125b9908427c6ab1f28e918e3947] <<<
dupee419

Activity: 1344
Merit: 261

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 06:14:07 PM

any updates?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: