Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:54:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: There is a need for a Bitcoin Bank  (Read 5638 times)
biodieselchris

Activity: 579
Merit: 500

CoinQuacker

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2013, 05:25:42 PM

Bitcoin presents ways for users to be WAY more clever and market responsive than archaic and scoleric traditional banks will ever adapt in to. Just look at mcxnow, etc ... Just one more reason why btc will replace banking anyways; just look how banks fail more than half of humanity as being completely useless !!!!! :

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/cell-phones-transforming-world-microfinance-132554814.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Karmicads

Activity: 185
Merit: 112

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 06:51:14 AM

I disagree.

Bitcoin "bank" implies centralization in my view. Centralization implies single-point of failure which implies regulation etc etc etc.

Bitcoin enables you to be your own central bank and to protect your own net worth without it being someone else's counter-party risk.

The problem is that some people can't be bothered to protect their own wallet and want someone else to do it, for those people the idea of a bank may be a better idea, the solution is not that their should be a bank but how can we design one that isn't evil Smiley

What a shame huh? People can't be fucked doing the minimum required to take responsibility for their own interests. Naturally there will be greedy operators willing to exploit their laziness. Bitcoin makes banks redundant and that is good. You can never underestimate the value of decentralization. Going back to a new central service every time a little invonvinience crops up is foolish and lazy. Let them try to create bitcoin banks though; let them try to invoke primitive technology as innovative solutions. People will get burned for no good reason, other than their own laziness.

Nobody said a fool and their bitcoin could never be parted. Any kind of central authority/service is the wrong kind of solution because it tries solving the  wrong problem. Better that we have education facilities and tools that make security more intuitive while helping people to understand the need to take responsiblity in free-speech, democracy, safe sex, recycling/environment and yes, personal security (including by trying mitigate the risks borne of using centralised services to defer our responsibility.)

In summary, the market you have identified, is not in banking, but rather in security tools and education.
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 11:32:07 AM
Last edit: November 07, 2013, 12:20:03 PM by crumbs

I disagree.

Bitcoin "bank" implies centralization in my view. Centralization implies single-point of failure which implies regulation etc etc etc.

Bitcoin enables you to be your own central bank and to protect your own net worth without it being someone else's counter-party risk.

The problem is that some people can't be bothered to protect their own wallet and want someone else to do it, for those people the idea of a bank may be a better idea, the solution is not that their should be a bank but how can we design one that isn't evil Smiley

What a shame huh? People can't be fucked doing the minimum required to take responsibility for their own interests. Naturally there will be greedy operators willing to exploit their laziness. Bitcoin makes banks redundant and that is good. You can never underestimate the value of decentralization. Going back to a new central service every time a little invonvinience crops up is foolish and lazy. Let them try to create bitcoin banks though; let them try to invoke primitive technology as innovative solutions. People will get burned for no good reason, other than their own laziness.

Nobody said a fool and their bitcoin could never be parted. Any kind of central authority/service is the wrong kind of solution because it tries solving the  wrong problem. Better that we have education facilities and tools that make security more intuitive while helping people to understand the need to take responsiblity in free-speech, democracy, safe sex, recycling/environment and yes, personal security (including by trying mitigate the risks borne of using centralised services to defer our responsibility.)

In summary, the market you have identified, is not in banking, but rather in security tools and education.

Judging from the history of bitcoin investing, from Pirateat40 to Labcoin & friends, free speech isn't very effective -- it gets labeled as FUD & shouted down, and the enlightened money-rebels continue to ... "invest."  Without lube or condoms. Cheesy

Edit:  For further edification, please visit https://inputs.io/  Smiley
Karmicads

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 12:48:39 PM

I think you are confusing dissent with censorship. I may disagree with what you say, but I will fight to my death, for your right to say it.
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:27:54 PM

I think you are confusing dissent with censorship. I may disagree with what you say, but I will fight to my death, for your right to say it.

You're missing the point, that being: free speech has proven itself ineffective in stopping enterprising youngsters from parting bitcoiners from the coins they love.  Fact.
Censorship is not the issue here, so please don't fight to the death for my right to say shit that falls on deaf ears.
Karmicads

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 02:01:51 PM

You're missing the point, that being: free speech has proven itself ineffective in stopping enterprising youngsters from parting bitcoiners from the coins they love.  Fact.
Censorship is not the issue here, so please don't fight to the death for my right to say shit that falls on deaf ears.

Oh! Right then. LOL Anything else I can fight to the death for then? Just feeling a wee tad gladiatorial tonight. Grin
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 04:39:52 AM

There have been several Bitcoin banks. They've either been scams or they've been hacked.

I'd like to see a Bitcoin broker/dealer that was registered as a broker/dealer in a major country, with audits and customer insurance.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: