Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:08:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Better way to do paper wallets?  (Read 1429 times)
cahirlet

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:09:03 AM

Ok,

This is probably wrong but it is how I do paper wallets or cold offline wallets;
1. buy an extra android phone
2. install electrum
3. transfer coins to electrum wallet
4. email the encrypted private keys to myself after writing the password to decrypt down on paper
5. print out on paper the qr codes and letter/number sequence for private codes
6. put this piece of paper in safe place.
7. turn off and pull battery of phone.
What do  you think about doing this blockchain? I think that is much more easier.

Blockchain.info has a pretty easy way of creating paper wallets.
It is online, using Online services to create paper wallets defeats the purpose since people with malware on their computer can get a copy of their paper wallet stolen.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BunsenBurner

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 09:33:40 AM

The easiest way to generate a paper wallet IMO is to use bitaddress in offline mode.
You could completely format your harddisk before and after generating your paper wallet for extra security. Smiley

cahirlet

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:01:48 AM

The easiest way to generate a paper wallet IMO is to use bitaddress in offline mode.
You could completely format your harddisk before and after generating your paper wallet for extra security. Smiley
It would be the safest to boot Linux from LiveCD and generate your wallet there. If possible, an computer that have never and will never access the internet.  Smiley
miragecash (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:30:01 PM

It would be the safest to boot Linux from LiveCD and generate your wallet there. If possible, an computer that have never and will never access the internet.  Smiley

Err, how can you do this if you need to go online to bitwallet to get the wallet generator? I thought you'd have to go to that website, then unplug the internet and get your bitwallet from a javascript on your computer, right? I'm not very tech savvy. Please explain. Thanks.
cahirlet

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 11:01:00 AM

Err, how can you do this if you need to go online to bitwallet to get the wallet generator? I thought you'd have to go to that website, then unplug the internet and get your bitwallet from a javascript on your computer, right? I'm not very tech savvy. Please explain. Thanks.
You download this script from an online computer https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org then u transfer it to a USB storage device. Next, you find a computer that have never and will never be plugged into the internet and boot linux from live CD and use the script. You can check the script too. Unplugging the computer from internet when the computer have already accessed the internet is not recommended as they can still get your information after you go back on internet.
miragecash (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 12:41:26 PM

I think this is the procedure?
1. go to the bitaddress page and save the page for offline viewing. it is javascript on the page, so this should work.
2. install linux on a fresh, formatted usb
3. save the bitaddress page on usb
4. unplug computer from internet
5. turn on computer and boot from usb
6. make paper wallet
7. receive BTC into paper wallet and check the blockchain to check my balance.
8. when I want to spend the money, scan the paper wallet with mycelium to move the funds into the mycelium wallet and then spend the BTC from the mycelium wallet OR spend the entire amount directly from the paper wallet using the mycelium app. Mycelium is the only app that I know of that can spend from a paper wallet.

Thanks guys! This procedure is a lot cheaper than buying a new Android phone or computer every time someone pays me some Bitcoin!

Activity: 165

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 12:58:27 PM

I created mine just using my blockchain.info account.
Tammy Chan

Activity: 820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 02:41:15 PM

I created mine just using my blockchain.info account.

It is easy, but it is not really a good way to create paper wallet, as explained by cahirlet in #21.

You need to trust
1) blockchain.info for creating the address with good entropy
2) blockchain.info hasn't been hacked and generate addresses in favour of the hackers.

eatingtic

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 03:23:32 PM

I`m aware these are some detailed steps, but is there a youtube video on this?

Or something visual = I`m a visual learner, if anyone can help? thanks!

miragecash (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 02:17:51 PM

I dunno of any youtube videos. I am too impatient to sit through an entire video. I'd rather spend 15 seconds speed reading an article instead. Here is an article on how to install mint linux on usb. I suppose that's the part you have trouble with because that was the only part that I had difficulty with:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744

I`m aware these are some detailed steps, but is there a youtube video on this?

Or something visual = I`m a visual learner, if anyone can help? thanks!
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 02:33:51 PM

Here's what I do for cold storage, this method has proven secure for me for over 1 year (no lost coins)

1. download the latest copy of Tails (https://tails.boum.org/) and burn a live DVD
2. boot computer from Tails
3. go to https://bitaddress.org, load page
4. disable internet connection
5. generate paper wallets (I recommend using BIP38 encryption - just make sure you will always REMEMBER THE PASSWORD)
6. print
7. shutdown computer

And there you have it, fresh private keys that exist nowhere else but the piece of paper in front of you.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: