Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:41:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597300 times)
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 01:07:33 AM

Welcome to the team. I assume you installed the new GRC Research.

I've been using BOINC mainly for SETI@home since around 06-07. I finally installed Grid to use Boinc today (yea, I'm a bit slow to catch on - haha).

Glad to be a part, look forward to seeing what Gridcoin can do Wink

Cheers!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
prints

Activity: 182
Merit: 102

\m/

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2015, 02:04:10 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2015, 02:33:47 AM by prints

I've been using BOINC mainly for SETI@home since around 06-07. I finally installed Grid to use Boinc today (yea, I'm a bit slow to catch on - haha).

Cheers!

Thanks! I did, yes. I'm actually trying to ascertain whether or not the wallet is working in conjunction with Boinc at this point. I've added myself to the gridcoin teams on boincstats.com, added my projects - but I don't know if I've done it correctly. I've went through the instructions, does it take some time for the settings to carry over?

Edit: Yeah, I think everything is fine. Reading up, it should take a few days for the team to be verified and my RAC to go up. When I list cpids it shows my projects and team "gridcoin" so that's fine, but on the dashboard of the wallet it says "All BOINC projects exhausted" and Project: INVESTOR. I just want to verify that this is normal. Thanks! Smiley

|| BTC: 17Dm2MMEGXKejjLvhyhoC4JRr9bR26Ktvu || LTC: LV6RbrsJAaBjrVyAwJCKhMfLTZE6aqEgKt || Zcash: t1S2WwgZzvkYLbKPZYQFYtWQ2QAf88cnPCz ||
Quezacoatl

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 06:19:50 AM
Last edit: March 12, 2015, 06:48:15 AM by Quezacoatl

Absolutely normal Smiley Netsoft (runs the BOINC statistics) needs some time to verify team and RAC changes.

Ah and, if the team change via boinc stats does not work (some projects do not copy the instructions from boincstats), go to the projects homepage and join Gridcoin manually.

Greets and welcome! Quez

Cheers!

Thanks! I did, yes. I'm actually trying to ascertain whether or not the wallet is working in conjunction with Boinc at this point. I've added myself to the gridcoin teams on boincstats.com, added my projects - but I don't know if I've done it correctly. I've went through the instructions, does it take some time for the settings to carry over?

Edit: Yeah, I think everything is fine. Reading up, it should take a few days for the team to be verified and my RAC to go up. When I list cpids it shows my projects and team "gridcoin" so that's fine, but on the dashboard of the wallet it says "All BOINC projects exhausted" and Project: INVESTOR. I just want to verify that this is normal. Thanks! Smiley

spassbold

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 08:47:16 AM

What I do not fully understand is the point where "the company gives the created money back to the ecosystem" ? Do you mean an active action where the company buys Gridcoins with a certain share of their profit to push the price up? Wink

What I think makes gridcoin such an interesting idea is the idea of commercial applications, where the computing power of gridcoin's miners is used to power computing intensive tasks like rendering or machine learning and thus the miner's get their reward in newly generated coins, but the computing service they offer to the app is for free, so those companies based on the gridcoin ecosystem can offer their services much cheaper and then give back to the gridcoin ecosystem.

There even exists already a distributed search engine (http://yacy.net/), just imagine a search engine being run by the mining of a cryptocurrency, which would be theoretically possible with gridcoin.

that is a question that is currently unanswered, the problem is basically "we have too much money, where to put it", because you generate money by offering the service but at the same time you also generate GRC which is the reward for the miner.

I would suggest that the company that can run profitably because of cheaper costs (free computing power) pays a part of its profit to the gridcoin company (at the moment Rob) that can then invest more time/money into developping the technology and make more projects.
spassbold

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 08:55:19 AM

Cheers!

Just a small note, I know you have the right client and everything, but calling it Grid is a little bit misleading as there is another scam coin, that does not have any new technology, out there with exactly the same name
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 02:32:35 PM

I am running a Gridcoin Research Promotion.

0.001 BTC / 250 GRC Research for posting on other forums!

>>>>>>
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=986083.0 <<<<<<<
Quezacoatl

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 02:45:48 PM

Good idea traderman Smiley
anonerd

Activity: 213

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 08:30:30 PM

>>>>>>
cool! you might want to include a restriction on forum topic, so that it relates to science at least.

Still waisting energy on Proof-of-Work? Use your Rigs for scientific progress!
Member of Gridcoin-Germany - http://uscore.net (en) - http://uscore.de (de) - http://gridcoin.us (ann)
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
March 12, 2015, 08:40:29 PM

I think most people like science, so most forums I think will be applicable. I think if I narrow it down to just science it might cut out a lot of potentially interested users.

>>>>>>
cool! you might want to include a restriction on forum topic, so that it relates to science at least.
anonerd

Activity: 213

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 08:57:49 AM

I think most people like science, so most forums I think will be applicable. I think if I narrow it down to just science it might cut out a lot of potentially interested users.

>>>>>>
Even newcomers with a science background complain they don't see whether their setup is configured correctly.
Gridcoin as of now is a still a topic for geeks and setting up BOINC is complex and might end frustrating.
Without restriction, your promotion could end up in a forum of pet lovers between guides for Chihuahua nutrition.

Still waisting energy on Proof-of-Work? Use your Rigs for scientific progress!
Member of Gridcoin-Germany - http://uscore.net (en) - http://uscore.de (de) - http://gridcoin.us (ann)
spassbold

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 03:20:38 PM

The last update now allows users to store data in the blockchain and then read it out from there again!

To quote Rob:

Gridcoin Research 3.3.9.8/23.1
Leisure Upgrade

- Removed one line of repetetive logging
- Added generic data storage system to block chain
- Added RPC commands : 'execute addkey', 'execute memorizekeys', 'execute listdata'
  Real World Examples:
  a. Storing a price for a smart contract (permanently in the chain):
     (Note that anyone can add generic data to the chain for 1grc - the proceeds go to the foundation node - each add charges a 1 grc fee)
     (If the data will be used by the coin for business purposes it will be done in a different manner - IE not through the public RPC - with the private key pair for security).
   Storing a price in the chain: 
  execute addkey add price grc .0000046
     (Note that this price can be updated with another command):
  execute addkey add price grc .0000045
     However, the last price in the highest block always contains the current state of the data.
     You may delete the value like this:
  execute addkey delete price grc .0000045
  The syntax for the command is:
  execute addkey [add or delete] [key type] [key name] [key value]
  (Data is stored permanently in the chain and is never physically erased).

Note:  In this release you must manually execute a command to load the data values into the coin before you can list them in the rpc (in later versions this will be done automatically):

execute memorizekeys
  To see the data for a specific data type:
  execute listdata [key type]
  So, to see the price above since it belongs to the "price" key type:
  execute memorizekeys
  execute listdata price

Note: You can store data in any key type

To see current whitelisted projects (Only dummy keys exist):
  execute listdata project

Now a simple all in one example for those confused:
  execute addkey add price grc .0000046
  (wait for block to be accepted in tx list otherwise price is not changed)
  execute memorizekeys
  execute listdata price
  (This last command shows the price you changed... etc.)

For RTM, the projects can be whitelisted or blacklisted using the following commands.  Note that an admin must have the boinc project admin key stored in the config file to modify system data:
  execute addkey add project milkyway 1
  (This adds milkyway to the whitelist; we will only need to modify the non case sensitive boinc project name - we can do away with the http:// URL)
  execute addkey delete project milkyway 1
  (This removes milkyway from the whitelist).

Note that after a key is added you have to wait until the block is accepted by the network before you can do an "execute memorizekeys" in order for the values to be available.

- UPNP: Marix fixed some issues with UPNP and QR code generation.
- Dr Grid : ToolTips: we had a contribution to make the hover over tooltips on the overview look better, and change the font color for tooltips.
- Contribution: Timestamp for CSV mangitude report (list magnitudecsv)
- Marix: Change detectplatform and remove some files in Build process
- IceD: Change some Boost suffixes
- Marix : Change to Leder's upgrader
- Caraka:  Improved toolbar icon.
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 03:25:08 PM

Those Pet-lovers may be computer geeks too. Every forum has an off-topic/chat section where people post all kinds of stuff. We need people to know about Boinc as well as Gridcoin. Most people in America and the developed world have no idea what Boinc is and they can contribute to science with their pc. We need to actually educated people on both, not just Gridcoin.

>>>>>>
Even newcomers with a science background complain they don't see whether their setup is configured correctly.
Gridcoin as of now is a still a topic for geeks and setting up BOINC is complex and might end frustrating.
Without restriction, your promotion could end up in a forum of pet lovers between guides for Chihuahua nutrition.
Quezacoatl

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 07:45:58 AM

Team Gridcoin rises to Number 6 in BOINC RAC:

http://boincstats.com/de/stats/-1/team/list/12/0/0
spassbold

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 01:49:11 PM

Team Gridcoin rises to Number 6 in BOINC RAC:

http://boincstats.com/de/stats/-1/team/list/12/0/0

just three times more RAC and we are the first team worldwide, should not take long with the current speed Smiley
spassbold

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 03:02:20 PM

new update from Rob, it seems that development is going along really well!

Just a high level update for the day before I bury myself with code:

- Please dont get the idea gridcoin finance is dead.  The issue is some other priorities sped ahead of it and required changes to its web host and architecture.  The .NET Dll project (Global Developer) is forcing me to change P2P authentication over to a session key that stays on your machine as a cookie, your password (that you create in register) is never transmitted to the boinc p2p server sql its only hashed (hint hint...), and the state of the session is stored in the p2p sql server as Authenticated:0 or 1.  One other issue is the co-dev Im working with in DC (brilliant person who is writing 30 frame per second p2p rdp sharing over html5) requires a dedicated port to be used for the app sharing. This disrupted my hosting of finance.gridcoin.us.  Im working on splitting the ports and re-hosting it on a new server.  So once all this is done, Ill bring it back, and I do intend to make the interface for contributors by the end of the year and get it actually trading possibly with real money as long as we meet the regulatory hurdles.  RTM is checking on those for DACs.
- Pallas, Ill definitely reach out to you to see what project you want to work on.  Im just backlogged again trying to get out the testnet whitelist project, merge in the github changes to catch them up, and integrate this new session stuff into Gridcoin.
- Support.gridcoin.us:  This is held up for the same reason.  I have to integrate the latest changes with authentication.  Technically it should remove the lag and be snappy.  Im also writing a "watchdog" to make sure the codevs code does not die.  Its got an issue that freezes up in the middle of the night.  I did send support emails and they are working on 5 bugs that I reported.  Im responsible for writing part of this product for them, and this is slowing down the entire project to a point.
- Tickets:  Once I get the new auth window to show in the coin, tickets will work with security.  I also have to set up the security function so that once a ticket is assigned to you, no one can push it off of you or close it except you.  Also, the handle and the username will be secured by the hash.
- GRCNation sent me an entire version of boinc, reverse engineered in c#.  Its pretty interesting.  It may offer a valuable purpose eventually for us to add some more features.
- In Coin Voting:  This is sort of a fun project that Id like to add in along with the automatic notices and its pretty close to being tackled once I go through the tickets again.

Rob
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 04:10:44 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2015, 04:36:21 PM by traderman

1 BTC is needed!!!!

Here is the CoinKING Multipool Fundraising thread >>>>>>>>>> https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/33625-coinking-multipool-fundraiser/
shaan.is.one

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 04:31:35 PM

Gridcoin expecting will be high grade then all
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 04:37:00 PM

Ok we are up to 0.3 btc and 11,000 grc on the fundraiser so far. Smiley
pallas
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 05:00:54 PM

Has the CryptoBlox block explorer been updated to gridcoin research yet? It looks like it's still working on classic.

spassbold

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 05:09:01 PM

Testnet for the new features is open, here is the thread: https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/13792-testers-wanted-gridcoin-research-test-boinc-whitelist/page-69#entry173243

TestNet Instructions:

Upgrade GridcoinResearch to 3.3.9.9+
cd %appdata%\gridcoinresearch
Alter your gridcoinresearch.conf:
Ensure these lines exist in the config:
server=1
rpcuser=yourusername
rpcpassword=yourpassword
rpcport=9334 (or any port you want to scrypt mine against)
email=your_boinc_email
addnode=node.gridcoin.us
rpcallowip=*
Once edited copy the gridcoinresearch.conf into %appdata%\gridcoinresearch\testnet
To Start the program:
cd c:\program files (x86)\gridcoinresearch
gridcoinresearch -testnet
Note that the window name will also contain [testnet]
Configure your scrypt miner to mine against 127.0.0.1, with your rpcuser and rpcpassword
Start the miner
(we scrypt mine until block 2050 then transition to POR)

In TestNet, I made the rewards +1000 per block - otherwise they are the same as Prod.
Added the ability for the coin to recognize new projects or blacklists or remappings automatically within 5 minutes of a change to the coin while running.
(Every 5 blocks, the coin pulls in any key changes added within the last 5 blocks).

Im running 300kh/s or so scrypt miner in testnet now and Ill do my best to leave it running on grid3 until we are finished.

So far Ive added these projects to the whitelist:

"Project" : "asteroids@home",
"Project" : "bitcoin utopia",
"Project" : "collatz conjecture",
"Project" : "malariacontrol.net",
"Project" : "milkyway@home",
"Project" : "rosetta@home",
"Project" : "simap",
"Project" : "theskynet pogs",

Test the list cpids, list projects, list magnitude, list rsa, and verify magnitude levels equalize and projects are valid.

We will also have to test blacklisting a project (pretending that it became rogue etc) and we will also need to test the Project Re-Map feature - this is when Netsoft uses a different name than the boinc project name.

And anything else you all can think of !

Thanks!
Pages: « 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 [203] 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: