Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:54:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 291 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread  (Read 597300 times)
traderman
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 04:36:06 PM

I just voted too.

I just voted for gridcoin to be traded on cryptsy.com at the link below:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=349420.0

Hey, can you reward me, by giving me some gridcoins? ( my pc is no good for mining so I am missing out )

FwY286Z4aqYoB5EZfhovf7HutbY9ERpX2q

Thanks

(get out there and vote gridcoiners )

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
andrewp

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 05:30:23 PM

Hi everyone!

I want to express a very big thank you to the creators of this coin!
It is such a pleasure to see that a good cause is being helped and the power put into mining is actually used and not just "thrown" away.

If you guys will keep up the great work you have done so far I can easily see Gridcoin becoming The new Bitcoin...but you are probably already aware of the breakthrough and revolution you are about to make here! Wink
Not just for cryptocurrencies but for all of the projects that are being helped!
This is really awesome!!! Smiley

That being said.
I would really like to start supporting GRC as much as possible. However since I do not come from IT(I am an FX trader) and have not mined any cryptos yet, I have no idea what I am doing Smiley..so I would really appreciate your help.

- Yesterday I downloaded and installed gridcoin-beta.msi & boinc_6.6.38_windows_intelx86.exe from here http://www.gridcoinnetwork.org/get-started.html with default settings and locations.
- Wallet synced well and Gridcoin Mining Module is working fine. After looking to troubleshooting I also upgraded .NET to the latest version to be safe.
- BOINC Manager runs Ok, 3 Projects added & tasks are being solved using CPU and NVIDIA GPU on my laptop.
- Also my Wallet and Mining Module do see the BOINC utilization and everything refreshes Ok.

There are 2 things I would need your help with:

1) Setting up my laptop to CPU mine, while the NVIDIA runs BOINC
2) On monday I am going to buy a dedicated pc just for mining Gridcoin&BOINC..so I would really appreciate suggestions on what setup should it be to best help the network. Also taking into account future developments in GRC. Budget ~$2k. I personally dont know how to complete the machine from individual parts, however I do have people that can do it for me..so buying individual parts is an option for me if it would be best suited to get most power for the budget.
@GRIDCOIN - Would you be able to help with this?

Please bear in mind that I am not an IT person so my questions might seem off and I need step by step instructions. Smiley

Thanks everyone for your help!
GO Gridcoin!!! Wink

Proud Gridcoiner since 2013!
Gridcoin (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 05:53:20 PM

Andrew, great to have you on board.  I'll help as much as I can but I have a Thanksgiving commitment coming up, so one thing you can do in the mean time is read the cryptocointalk thread for some more info and ask Aysyr for some help.  Of course if anyone can jump in, please help.

We are releasing a new version in the -beta section of the web site with a new sleeker look.  Check it out everyone.  Also, there is a relatively major hiccup fixed in that version that has to do with performance and one other background issue (having to do with what the client does when you mine a solo block) that can potentially help the long term reliability (it had a memory leak that we fixed), so please check out the new version.  One other major issue, I moved our code base back from reaper to guiminer, since many users want to use nvidia and cgminer.  So-- please move your guiminer folder to the c:\users\~appdata\roaming\gridcoin folder.  Rename it "guiminer".  This way, when we upgrade that folder will not be erased or marked read only.

Ill comment on the pool mining asap.

Good luck everyone,
Rob Halford

Gridcoin: scientia humana libertas
aleistermarley

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:19:51 PM

Hi @all

Thanks for bringing up this cool, energy saving coin *clapclap*

Problem although is, im mining gridcoins since 20hrs with approx. 200khashes with the latest client and cgminer 3.5.0 pointing to 127.0.0.1.
But either i have no luck or something is wrong - it does not find a block - still 0.00 GRC in the wallet.... Embarrassed

I have tried both, pool and single mining. Boinc Processing Power shows 100.

anyone has an idea what could possibly be wrong  Huh

Greetings from Austria!
a.

PS: just donated a BTC beer to gridcoin Wink
Spare GRC going here: Fww4Y7WdTs9ZSkDPj6P33w4MGbqkjHSWZT   

telemaco

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:28:50 PM

Great idea !!

Voted on the just_me thread. Also asked for this coin to be added to cryptsy. It definetely deserves a exchange.

Please send me a few so i can taste it while i manage to install the miner. I am having some problems with the user group installation and boinc :-?

FuEaBhknKDCcmjxPt4yPSSwnN8ehnMYD5N

Cheers,

traderman
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:33:31 PM

the difficulty is already past 1 I think @ 200 khs it will take some time.

Hi @all

Thanks for bringing up this cool, energy saving coin *clapclap*

Problem although is, im mining gridcoins since 20hrs with approx. 200khashes with the latest client and cgminer 3.5.0 pointing to 127.0.0.1.
But either i have no luck or something is wrong - it does not find a block - still 0.00 GRC in the wallet.... Embarrassed

I have tried both, pool and single mining. Boinc Processing Power shows 100.

anyone has an idea what could possibly be wrong  Huh

Greetings from Austria!
a.

PS: just donated a BTC beer to gridcoin Wink
Spare GRC going here: Fww4Y7WdTs9ZSkDPj6P33w4MGbqkjHSWZT   

traderman
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:40:54 PM

Hi Andrew, welcome to the club. If you want to build a mining rig you need good gpu.

Here is a video of 2 of my rigs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DfJj4UZcU8

motherboard: asus crosshair IV extreme
gpu: radeon 5870
psu: 1000 watt ocz
cpu: AMD Phenom II X6 Six-Core Processor
ram: 6gb

If you want to build a rig I would recommend the MSI Radeon 7950 twin frozr gpu, i had 2 rigs with those gpu and they are great for mining.

Hi everyone!

I want to express a very big thank you to the creators of this coin!
It is such a pleasure to see that a good cause is being helped and the power put into mining is actually used and not just "thrown" away.

If you guys will keep up the great work you have done so far I can easily see Gridcoin becoming The new Bitcoin...but you are probably already aware of the breakthrough and revolution you are about to make here! Wink
Not just for cryptocurrencies but for all of the projects that are being helped!
This is really awesome!!! Smiley

That being said.
I would really like to start supporting GRC as much as possible. However since I do not come from IT(I am an FX trader) and have not mined any cryptos yet, I have no idea what I am doing Smiley..so I would really appreciate your help.

- Yesterday I downloaded and installed gridcoin-beta.msi & boinc_6.6.38_windows_intelx86.exe from here http://www.gridcoinnetwork.org/get-started.html with default settings and locations.
- Wallet synced well and Gridcoin Mining Module is working fine. After looking to troubleshooting I also upgraded .NET to the latest version to be safe.
- BOINC Manager runs Ok, 3 Projects added & tasks are being solved using CPU and NVIDIA GPU on my laptop.
- Also my Wallet and Mining Module do see the BOINC utilization and everything refreshes Ok.

There are 2 things I would need your help with:

1) Setting up my laptop to CPU mine, while the NVIDIA runs BOINC
2) On monday I am going to buy a dedicated pc just for mining Gridcoin&BOINC..so I would really appreciate suggestions on what setup should it be to best help the network. Also taking into account future developments in GRC. Budget ~$2k. I personally dont know how to complete the machine from individual parts, however I do have people that can do it for me..so buying individual parts is an option for me if it would be best suited to get most power for the budget.
@GRIDCOIN - Would you be able to help with this?

Please bear in mind that I am not an IT person so my questions might seem off and I need step by step instructions. Smiley

Thanks everyone for your help!
GO Gridcoin!!! Wink
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 06:46:37 PM

Is the pool still in beta or can anyone access it?  If so, how?
Hi Rum,

Regarding pool mining, its in prod now, 8 people are using it, and I think we will be OK until we have 100 people using it.  At that point the blocks will almost overload, and we plan on exercising the hourly payment option more on that later, but that should not be hard to turn on.  

Anyway, to use it, go into your gridcoin.conf and add the setting "poolmining=true", restart the wallet and everything is automatic.  When you mine blocks, your blocks * boincshares automatically go into pool1.  Then you can do a "listminers" and see yourself on the payment list (by looking for your default GRC receiving address).  You can switch in and out of the pool if you want.  If you type "getpoolminingmode" the wallet will tell you if your active.

Pool payments continue throughout the lookback period until that period elapses without finding a new block.

Best Regards,
Rob H.

aleistermarley

Activity: 32

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 06:59:44 PM

...still 0.00 GRC in the wallet...

When mining other coins there is the "new block detected" message every other minute in cgminer.
With gridcoin the console remains silent - only temp. and hashrate are updated once a second...
Is this normal??

greetings
a.
traderman
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 07:48:53 PM

are you using reaper or cgminer?

...still 0.00 GRC in the wallet...

When mining other coins there is the "new block detected" message every other minute in cgminer.
With gridcoin the console remains silent - only temp. and hashrate are updated once a second...
Is this normal??

greetings
a.
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 07:58:12 PM

Try the latest version of gridcoin-qt and try cgminer, should do the same as the other coins.

andrewp

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:17:31 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2013, 08:03:35 PM by andrewp

Andrew, great to have you on board.  I'll help as much as I can but I have a Thanksgiving commitment coming up, so one thing you can do in the mean time is read the cryptocointalk thread for some more info and ask Aysyr for some help.  Of course if anyone can jump in, please help.

We are releasing a new version in the -beta section of the web site with a new sleeker look.  Check it out everyone.  Also, there is a relatively major hiccup fixed in that version that has to do with performance and one other background issue (having to do with what the client does when you mine a solo block) that can potentially help the long term reliability (it had a memory leak that we fixed), so please check out the new version.  One other major issue, I moved our code base back from reaper to guiminer, since many users want to use nvidia and cgminer.  So-- please move your guiminer folder to the c:\users\~appdata\roaming\gridcoin folder.  Rename it "guiminer".  This way, when we upgrade that folder will not be erased or marked read only.

Ill comment on the pool mining asap.

Good luck everyone,
Rob Halford

Hi Grid,
thanks for your quick reply.
I have gone through all the info you suggested and was able to do this progress towards my CPU mining:
1. wallet and mining console work fine, BOINC runs OK and console sees its processing power, threads and credits.
2. modified gridcoin.conf so it looks like this:
     server=1
     rpcuser=user
     rpcpassword=pass
     rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
     rpcport=9332
     cpumining=true
3. went through the setup to CPU mine you posted. Added project from projects in wallet to BOINC, set user name to my GRC address and named that address "Default" in wallet.
4. Boinc is online and running the selected project.

However I would like to check if what is written above is how it should be done and also would like to ask this:
a. How do I check that I am really mining? Am I correct in thinking that if the button "Test CPUMiner" in Mining Console returns something else then just blank "Output:" then I am actually mining?
b. How are the coins for CPU mining awarded? Do I first need to mine the block myself, or is that only in GPU mining?
c. Mining Console shows "Boinc KH/ps = 0" this should be higher if I'm really mining, right?
d. Can I run other Boinc projects simultaneously with the one required for CPU mining?

Thanks for your help,
Regards,
Andrew.

Proud Gridcoiner since 2013!
basecoin

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Basecoin ANN THREAD: http://tinyurl.com/n6kuk36

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 07:27:25 AM

Man, we really need an exchange to pick up Gridcoin asap.

Anyone want to sell GRC, please PM me with your offer. BTC, LTC, PPC are acceptable.

You can sugest bter.com or btc38.com to add Gridcoin.

basecoin

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 07:29:48 AM

I just voted for gridcoin to be traded on cryptsy.com at the link below:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=349420.0

Hey, can you reward me, by giving me some gridcoins? ( my pc is no good for mining so I am missing out )

FwY286Z4aqYoB5EZfhovf7HutbY9ERpX2q

Thanks

(get out there and vote gridcoiners )
Hey cool poll, thanks!   I voted.

Sent you some GRC also!

Working on a facelift for the wallet.

Grid

I also vote for gridcoin at this link, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=349420.0, could you please give me some gridcoin as a reward?

Great thanks to you. My Gridcoin address is: FzZY7vBMrrQdkabKWbdWuyjtHsyRMg18Pn

derm

Activity: 52

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 02:52:37 PM

You are right, I think the project needs a sound branding, consistent colorset etc.
Do you know some apt designer?
Conqueror
Legendary

Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020

I was diagnosed with brain parasite

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:48:56 PM

Gridcoin, which seems nice to me, desperately requires a decent logo to move on.

The current one is not acceptable in my eyes.

I agree, GRC have unbelievable dev, but marketing is poor so far.
I am sure lot of people are willing to help  Wink
FTC FTW! GRC FTW!
Conqueror
Legendary

Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020

I was diagnosed with brain parasite

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:50:10 PM

And also having hosted forum on Cryptocointalk is a bad idea!
Aysyrs forum was good enough!!
Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 05:02:19 PM

Hello all,

Yes, I think we do have a lot of room to improve in the marketing area.  We bootstrapped ourselves with the most basic logo, and then a volunteer created the latest one, and it was an improvement.
I'm willing to pay 1000GRC for a more professional logo that everyone accepts.  Any takers want to spend a small amount of time designing the first iteration and displaying it here and if we can have general acceptance, then finish the finer-details, and Ill pay for the winner.

Regarding the forum, I would like to eventually have a ticket system for issues and a more structured set of threads dont get me wrong.  I just want to make sure all of our users receive the critical updates and we make it through to become a more mature coin first.

Regarding the current wallets colors, I am fixing that now.  Yesterday's release was partially incomplete.

Rob H.

Gridcoin (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 05:27:12 PM

All,

New release available:   4.73  in the prod and beta section of www.gridcoin.us.

In this version,  the colors and style sheets have been updated.  (Remaining white areas are inherited from the current windows theme; eventually we will have our cross-os programmer fix those on both platforms).

We had a user running a flash drive with boinc running in a nonstandard location ask if we could make a feature to honor that location, so we added two new keys that you can enter into your config, the main one being:
boincappfolder=C:\Program Files\Boinc\

Please set that key with your personal value if boinc is not located in "Program files" in windows.  Note: please use a trailing backslash as above.  Note: The App folder is where "boinc.exe" is located on your machine. 

Best Regards,
Rob Halford

nappingpilot

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 07:58:44 PM

On the 4.73 release - I immediately hit a problem and worked around it in Windows 8. 

Posting here to save others hassle Smiley

Problem: When I installed from .msi and fired up 4.73, a new mining console comes up.  Very snazzy - good - but frequently crashed after a couple minutes at most - bad.  Worse, the "Boinc MD5" on the new console displays something like 'Invalid checksum', so it's unable to see my copy of BOINC.  The 'old' mining console also displays Mining Module Registered Version 26, but Boinc Processing Power is 0, Threads is 0.  I tried all the usual tricks of registering the dll and tlb, no love. 

Solution:  From reading the beta threads - there's a problem in the new console where if you install BOINC in anything other than the default directory, the new console can't see BOINC.  I guess it's not using a registry setting.

Thankfully the new console now also has a setting (good call Rob) to find non default locations for BOINC.  You need to find your copy of gridcoin.conf (for me in windows 8, it was C:\Users\nappingpilot\AppData\Roaming\Gridcoin) and add the settings to wherever you've set BOINC and BOINC's data folder to.  For me, it was the following, your mileage will vary:

boincappfolder=F:\Gridcoin\BOINC\
boincdatafolder=F:\Gridcoin\BOINC\Data\

Restart client, restart BOINC, fire up miner, bam!  Good to go, back in business.  All the crashes are gone now too, it's stable for the past 45 minutes.  Keep up the fine work, dev team!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 291 »
  Print  

Jump to: